Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:11 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:39 am 

Hi all,
Is there a specific position for the number 1 lead in the the distributor? I know the firing order is 153624 and that the dizzy spins counter clockwise, but I've heard that the number 1 is usually closest to the front of the vehicle. My number 6 is at the front. Is this okay or should I change them around?
Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:05 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Does it currently run properly ?

If so, leave it as it is.

The position of the #1 plug lead is determined by the position in the engine of the drive shaft for the distributor. If the drive shaft is installed incorrectly, the plug leads may not be in the correct position.

NOTE:" I say "incorrect" and "correct", but really I should say "standard" and "non-standard". The drive shaft can be installed "differently" to how the Datsun factory says it should be installed and everything will still work fine so long as the plug leads are also installed "differently" to matcg the driveshaft position.

If you plug leads are 180 degrees out, I'd bet the shaft is also installed 180 degrees out. Here is the "correct" / "factory" position in the diagram below. I reckon yours has had this put in with the "small side" facing to the rear of the engine, not the front as shown. If so, and you want to "fix" it, you will need to remove the oil pump and set up the distributor drive shaft as per the factory manual.

[ img ]

1965 SP310 Fairlady
1966 SP311 Fairlady

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:53 pm 

Thanks heaps Dave. The drive shaft is indeed backwards. I only noticed this because I was cleaning spark plugs, breaker points etc. due to the vehicle being difficult to start. I will leave them as they are. Thank you again

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:26 am 

sometimes people put the mount on the front cover 180 deg out. cause they forgot which way the Tang where the bolt goes thru.

when you install the oil pump and dist spindal there is a hole or indentation and a dimple mark on the spindal and it goes in that way to the rotor usually shold point in a stardard direction. I assume whoever put yours in just lined it up teill is came out in the 11;28 position not taken accout the the distributor end(female) is made to only go in one way but looks like its in the 11;28 then one just rotates the rotor till it drops in then youlll notice you got to move your wires around starting that as #1 TDC then go 153642 CCW

I think olddatsuns.com has a link to my 2nd rate YOUTUBE vids on a L motor scroll till shows pump install