Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:21 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:33 pm 

Hey guys I've just had a can reground for a mates l20b I'm rebuilding is their any way to determine the shim thickness without trying them individually and checking the wipe?

They seem to be between $10 and $30 a pop and dont want to order one of each thickness to determine what shim each valve needs to then order another matching 7. If anybody in Perth has at they could lend for trial I'd probably do dirty dirty things to you.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:45 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Ideally, you would check them individually.

Grab a cheap set of feeler gauges, cut them into strips and test with different combinations of feeler gauge. Get the wipe pattern right, add the thickness of the bits of feeler strip to the thickness of the lash pad and order to suit. Like those circled in the pic.
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
tool9.jpg [ 104.96 KiB | Viewed 1676 times ]

1965 SP310 Fairlady
1966 SP311 Fairlady

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:00 pm 

Legend man I do plan on checking them individually as was reconned few years ago n who knows how many good seats were left! Brilliant idea on the cut up feeler gauges didn't know if I could have the feeler gauge in there or not as lash pad wouldn't sit square on it. I'll cut some feelers down I've read up on wipe and done plenty of pushrod installs and checked wipe on stem tips in them so should be pretty doable.

Thanks heaps man!