Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:01 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:24 pm 

Was scouting around my local U-Pull It the other day.
And noticed a few early 80's skylines with L-Series motors and Power steering. I had a good look and it all looks like it could be made to fit a 1600 with little hasles.

What I would like to know is has anyone undertook such a conversion ?
And if so was it worth it ?

Has anyone got any feedback from owning such a car (L series) with factory power steering ?

Thanks ..Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:01 pm 

My 280ZX had factory power steering - the recirculating ball type. IMHO it was a tad too light, but nice when parking. :D

I don't think a 1600 would benefit greatly, except for a quicker ratio on the box.

Cheers,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:46 pm 

Ive thought about this also... ive noticed the C210's have a simular setup and i thought about trying to suss a mod to my 1600

From what i gather you would need the part which bolts onto the back of your steering box which has all the fluid conections to it... this would shift your column back a few inches...? Modified brackets?

Then the pump which hangs off the side of the block you should be able to use the bracket of the donor

A larger belt would be needed to extend around the extra parts

Hey maybe im a dreamer but its food for thought keep us posted on any progress...

*** Also call [b]Per4ormance motorsport QLD [/b]cause the guys wifes green SR20det 1600 has powersteering and air-conditioning... mind you they used a silvia front clip so i guess thats where they got the parts

Also i dont know the details cause as far as i know the silvia has rack & pinion type instead...

If all else fails go for a early 180B box with the 3 bolt holes cause this is a 3.1 Lock to lock box and it may make tight turning somewhat easier

Keep us posted...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:33 pm 
Guru

In my humble opinion, if you recondition the entire steering mechanism on a P510 to factory fresh, you will be happy chappy :D

This means,
adjust all slack from the steering box via adjuster screw
replace all worn ball joints
recondition the steering idler and bushes
fit a steering box brace from one of our vendors
This all took a few $$ but made a huge difference to the steering :D

Power steering in such a well designed car as the P510 is probably just overkill :roll:

graemes@internode.on.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:45 pm 

I also have done some investigating...
I have come up with:
powersteering box from a 1984? Toyota Cressida, by the measurements i took, all should line up. obviously you will need a pump, so you can either use a L6 pump or custom a bracket for the cressida part.
When (AND IF!!) i have this conversion completed, i will build up a few kits for (lazy) people, other wise i will post all specs for you motivated ppl out there.
btw, there is nothing wrong with lazy, other wise i wouldn't be fitting power steering!!!

my shrinking garage is down to.....
2x 1600s
1x GQ Tray back
1x 300ZX
1x FZR600

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:10 pm 

I agree with Nissanman, the only time I have had trouble with heavy steering on a 1600 is when I had a too small steering wheel. The Sunny wheel on 1600 is perfect.
Then again, I don't really give a sh*t how hard it is to parallel park!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:51 pm 

im doing away with that recirculating junk! toyota Ae86 rack and pin almost ready to go in!

true that when everypart is fresh and the steering box reconned and adjusted that the steering would be good, but ive never really been able to get rid of that typical 70's steering play haha.
power steering tho? would make for great ease in drifting but wheres the fun in that!

just my 2c on the issue