Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:50 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:56 am 

well i am assuming it came from the 280zx.

what would have to be done to put it into a 280zx that is registered as having an L28E?? would there need to be an engineers cert?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:09 pm 

if the brakes differ from the NA model to the turbo model, then all you have to do is fit the turbo model brakes and you're away.

the car came with a turbo option from the factory, it shouldn't be an issue.

like fitting a 308 in place of a 202 in a kingswood. just bolt up the 308 brakes and you're away.

The Republic of Western Australia -
Propping up the Nation's Economy since 1901.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:01 pm 

sweet thanks, anyone heard of the turbo l28 with carbs? there is one for sale in melb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:03 pm 

I seriously doubt thats factory.

Dave

AUS Project: 1972 1600, 3200km old S15 SR20DET, ground up rebuild. SOLD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:27 pm 

thats what i thought, so getting it re registered i should be able to put the turbo brakes etc on and just register it without an engineers??

http://search.carsguide.news.com.au/new ... ed_action=

can you guys tell me what you think regarding registration

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:03 pm 

Jb,
As it is an aftermarket turbo setup you would probably need an engineers certificate. The other issue you could run in to is if it was originally a efi car there is very little chance it will pass emissions with a carby turbo set up on it. Your best bet is to call an engineer and find out what he thinks would be required to get the car to pass. You could also try speaking to vicroads but I have found everyone will tell you a different story regarding what is legal and none of it will matter when the cops pull you over as they have their own ideas on the rules.
Unfortuneately cheap cars like that can easily cost the purchase price again just to get them on the road legally, especially when they are unreg/unrwc.
Jake

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:20 pm 

thanks jake, i thought this might be the case thats why i still have my L28et at home sitting there with no turbo :) and no body anymore :cry:

the only reason i was even looking at the car was for a resonable body,

which probably brings me to my next question if i were to rip the turbo and the carbs and chuck in my efi stuff and my non-turbo ecu, that should give me enough to get away from getting a engineers cert right? and get a RWC and i can just chuck that turob or something similiar on there with a MSnS later on.

although what will this thing run like with the non-turbo ecu? obviously without the turbo aswel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:06 pm 

Jb,
Chances are due to the low compression set up it will not run really well with a NA ecu. It should still run though.
I would be looking for an earlier shell to install the motor in to (pre ADR preferrably) as if it lives up to the ad it has had a lot of time and money spent on it. A L28 with forged internals should make some pretty impressive power figures and Datrally used to have a great reputation for building quality L series. As with most carby turbo setups it will probably run a bit rough off boost but absolutely scream once the turbo comes on.
Jake

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:59 pm 

Thanks all, i am going to have a look at it on wednesday i think and will make my choice from there

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:14 am 

SOLD!

car turned out to be alright, it needs a bit of work to get rid of that 280 look, a bit of fibre glassing suspension and rims and we should be all good, will have some pictures soon