Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:18 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:18 am 

Ok I've run a quick search and looked through the forums/FAQs, not really sure where to post this so I chucked it in General.

First off, I know sh*t all about cars, so bear with me and my vague descriptions. I have an 85 Bluebird (wagon), and tonight, trying to show how incredibly smrat I am to a mate, was doing keybangers (deliberate backfires) when I caused a particularly powerful one that resulted in the engine noise being considerably less muffled and a lot more fully-sick-rice-rocket-blowoff-valve type of noise. Upon having a quick look at it, I appear to have blown apart the shell of either the muffler or the cat (didn't have a very long look at it for various reasons, and it was dark anyway - did the 85 bluebirds even have cats?) at the seam where it is joined (looks like it's folded/pressed?). As far as I could see, there isn't any significant material damage (if any), and it could possibly be whacked back into shape and wired up for the time being.

Anyway when you're done laughing, basically what I want to know is what my options are for repairing or replacing it. I've come up with a few ideas/asked around a bit, and here's what I've got so far:
- bend it back and weld it up - is it safe to weld there, given that it's pretty close to a tank full of that flammable liquid we call petrol?
- bend it back and JB-weld it up - will JB weld hold up under whatever temperatures an exhaust develops?
- replace all or part of the exhaust system - this seems like the most likely option to me. Are cats/mufflers able to be replaced separately from the rest of the exhaust system (remember again that I don't know anything much about cars)? Does anyone know if there are any other models that use the same (or a compatible) exhaust setup as this? How much might I be looking at to get a cat or a muffler chamber from a wrecker, and how much would they be to buy new?

thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:17 am 
Site Admin

:rofl:
I remember when I did a K banger in my Zed, one time too many - needless to say there wasn't much left of the muffler... :roll:
One hell of a bang though :shock:

Well sounds like your up for a new muffler mate.
The exhaust shop should be able to fit a new one.
Don't get sucked into replaceing anymore of the exhaust system.
Expect to pay anywhere up to say $80 for a new one.
BTW, blueys dont have Cats.

Good luck :wink:

http://www.lescollinsracing.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:59 pm 

Thanks mate, I was afraid it was gonna be one of those self-bankrupting jobs but that's not too bad. Cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:06 pm 

My dad had to go for a rego inspection (NSW) in an '85 pajero last week, got knocked back on a muffler that was coming appart at the seam, so he got a few big hose clamps, joined them together to make one that would go right around the muffler, then tightened it up to pull the muffler back together, it passed like that, but for only $80-$100, you'd be silly not to get a new one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:20 pm 

HAHAHAHAHA... last time i saw a 'ballooned' muffler was at ultra tune there was a falcon on gas that obviously had a major backfire!

i know guy a know from yorke penninula (a total tool) had stacks (like a truck) on his ute and had those annoying little caps ontop that rattle around when the car is running... blew them clean off when he did a key banger :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Life is like an ocean. You need to drown in it to realise its intensity." --George Jung--

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:18 pm 

maybe go for a straight through system and keybang till you break the key off :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:49 pm 

lol. Then get a hollow key and get a finger bang effect :lol: