Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:33 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:45 pm 

Has anyone ever cut the rain gutters off the roof of a 1600 . I have never seen it done wondering how it would look ? Mine need rust repairs so while im at it i might shave them as well. Any thoughts on sideaffects other than a little bit of water. Just plan on cutting and welding the seam.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:01 am 

i havnt done it but a dude in the US did it to his 510. his names brian (dont know the last name) but its got a rotor in it and a jag rear end so im sure there'd be a link to his site on here somewhere. anyway, the gutters actually hold the roof on, so you'd have to cut the gutter abit, weld it up, cut it abit, weld it up, and so on. goodluck with it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:48 am 

Quote:
If you remove the rain gutters on a 510, the roof will no longer be attached! So this was a
tedious process of cutting a small section at a time and tack-welding the pieces back together.
Then, it was another long process of welding and grinding the entire seam until it was smooth.
here's the guy jarrod speaks of
http://www.bryanf.com/510/body.htm

dave

The 1600

Recommended traders: Nissanman, pro240c, 2door510, Datsport, mkyle, Green510, Um_510, jdmdatsun510, Ludachris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:07 am 

Jarrad wrote:
you'd have to cut the gutter abit, weld it up, cut it abit, weld it up, and so on. goodluck with it
Bingo!!

If you try to weld a big long join in one go, it will distort and stuff the roof.

This mod has been done a number of times on Minis on the front guards (the vertical join that does down the front of the door). I can't see a reason why it wouldn't work on a Datto.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:55 pm 

My boss has done the above mentioned to one of his minis. He has shaved the front and rear seams off it. But to do that he had to re-enforce it all from behind by welding plate.

If the gutter doea hold on the roof, that'll be really tricky to get it right! lotsa bog :shock: .... :lol:

looks very scmick by the looks of that yellow datto!!!