Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Tue Jun 18, 2024 5:22 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Is my goose cooked??
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 2:36 am 

Can someone tell me what the safe/nominal operating temperature of an L18 should be. I just fitted an electronic calibrated temp guage and mine got up to 210 deg F, that's normal city driving with a stint on the freeway. Oh and it dosn't have a radiator shroud.

If this sounds seriously wrong, and I think it does, can anybody hazard a guess at what the problem might be. There's no sign of bubbles in the radiator so hopefully the 4000km old rebuilt engine is still ok :?

Post subject: Hmmmm...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 9:23 am 

210F is about 100C so you're definatly pushing it. It should really be closer to 80C.

Are you losing any water? If not, Id start with checking the timing.

Post subject: Re: Hmmmm...
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 9:45 pm 
Rivmasta wrote:
210F is about 100C so you're definatly pushing it. It should really be closer to 80C.

Are you losing any water? If not, Id start with checking the timing.
The only water I'm losing is what goes out the overflow pipe when it expands. The timing could be the problem, I don't have a timing light on hand to check it though, but given the marks that i put on the dizzy when i was using the light to time it, it should be around the 8 to 10 deg BTDC. Shouldn't the timing need to be a long way off before it causes this much over heating :?: Is it too far advanced that causes over heating :?:

Any other ideas :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 10:25 pm 

g`day
youre not still using the 120y radiator are you?
those things are tiny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 1:55 pm 
paddy510 wrote:
g`day
youre not still using the 120y radiator are you?
those things are tiny
No that would cause problems, I attacked the mounting bulge in the front of the car with an air saw and put in the bluebird unit which should do the job.

If the radiator was blocked up would that cause the over heating??

Post subject: all better
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 10:19 pm 

In case anyones interested the problem was the hydro-clutch on the fan, which I'm sure you all know is attatched to the water pump making it very expensive. The prick of a thing about all this is the water pump was brand new :evil: ($150) , fortunately we had a 6 month old unit on a Stanza which does the job :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 8:55 am 

If someone's trying to charge you $150 for an L series water pump then they should be locked up. :evil:

And it's weird that the clutch fan isn't removable from the waterpump. :? I'm pretty sure I added one of those fans to number 2 1600 many years ago, and it was a bolt up job, but my memory isn't what it used to be. (If it ever was...can't remember...) :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 10:27 pm 

Chris G wrote:
If someone's trying to charge you $150 for an L series water pump then they should be locked up. :evil:

And it's weird that the clutch fan isn't removable from the waterpump. :? I'm pretty sure I added one of those fans to number 2 1600 many years ago, and it was a bolt up job, but my memory isn't what it used to be. (If it ever was...can't remember...) :lol:
Yes $150 is pretty steep, however the water pump/clutch ( of a 200B) is all one sealed unit to the point where 1 of the bolts is included because the fan pulley prevents it from being removed :x . But then again car manufactures have always over charged for parts :roll: