Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:50 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:13 am 

Hey guys,

I've been in the market for a turbs 1600 for a little while now and have ended up looking interstate.

The best one I've found has a CA18DET running haltech management - I know these are as tunable as the next computers, but how hard is it to get them under 4.5% carbon monixide? From what I've read this is the key figure you have to meet for ADR emissions- Does anyone else know if there are any other emission levels that must be met (for a '72 model)? I will be getting various aspects engineered anyway to pass regency, so as long as it meets all emissions I wouldn't have thought they could say no to a/m management.

If anyone can give me an idea of the time (and therefoe $$$) to get this type of tune done, as its a bit different to a full tune IMO. I would've though it shouldn't take too long as the only focus would be tuning below about 4000RPM.

Any help would be really appreciated

Cheers,

James.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:49 am 

What state are you in? That might let someone from a similar state who has had experience give you some tips.

Dave

AUS Project: 1972 1600, 3200km old S15 SR20DET, ground up rebuild. SOLD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:51 am 

thehelix112 wrote:
What state are you in? That might let someone from a similar state who has had experience give you some tips.

Dave
possibly the one he posted the thread in????????????????????????????? :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:53 am 

Hehe.. my bad. I got here via the `Latest posts' link, not the regular way. My apologies.

I have heard from Pete Leibig that aftermarket management is very difficult to get legal in SA? Is that the case Jordan?

Dave

AUS Project: 1972 1600, 3200km old S15 SR20DET, ground up rebuild. SOLD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:22 am 

James,

Having a '72 should mean having some pretty lazy emissions regs. The problem is that Transort SA insist that if you fit a later model engine (like a CA18DET), then you have to pass the tests that apply to that motor. So you'd have to pass a full-house emissions test. :cry:

I have heard some people say that the big test needs to be done at Mitsi's, and costs $7k a pop. If you fail, you're up for another $7k. I don't know how true that is - especially now that Mitsi's engine plant has shut down. :?

If anyone has ever wondered why I'm fitting a twin cam head on the L...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:31 am 

Oh, one more thing.

http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/personal ... hicles.asp

Have a look at the second one down "engine changes to cars..."

It's written in "legalise" and it's a bit hard to understand, but it seems to say that the rules I mentioned in the last post have been overturned???

I went into TSA with that document, and the guy behind the counter said he'd never heard of it, so therefore it didn't exist. :roll: One day I'll speak to one of their approved engineers about it, but it may be something for you to look into?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:10 pm 

I had a thorough read through http://www.ozdat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7488 which covered a lot of good stuff.

It does state that a/m ecu's can be used if you undertake an abreviated ADR emmissions test. I will be using Rory Thompson to engineer it as he does a lot of work with the workshop that I take my car to.

I assume it would be a mega pain in the ass to re-install a standard ECU into it (although I do have access to all parts I need including AFM etc - it does mean a mate will be missing some items from his car for a while :lol: ).

I guess the only way to tell for certain is to make a call and get the typical run-a-round from TSA. When it comes to them, I don't believe anything unless its in writing, and from what was mentioned above, even that may not be good enough. :roll:

Thanks for yur help guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:14 pm 

thehelix112 wrote:
I have heard from Pete Leibig that aftermarket management is very difficult to get legal in SA? Is that the case Jordan?

Dave
I don't know, ive never owned anything legal :oops:

But yes ive heard the same, infact i don't know anyone that hass passed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:33 pm 

datto_boy wrote:
thehelix112 wrote:

Dave
I don't know, ive never owned anything legal :oops:

But yes ive heard the same, infact i don't know anyone that hass passed.
Do you know if they had it specifically tuned with a wideband 02 to pass? Or they haven't tried?

I talked with TSA and they said the only reason why they would accept an a/m ecu is if there is some reason why the standard one cannot be used (rarity of stock parts etc). I queried him whether lack of financial viability to return it to stock could be used - not promising. I also asked if I could reinstall a standard ecu and legally have the a/f ecu plugs in place for race purposes (as I will be using it at collingrove and mallala). He said that because its *possible* to change it, then it probably wont be allowed.

I'm a bit stumped, your damned even if you try to do the right thing. Still haven't got into the details of it with the engineer though, so I'm still hopful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:28 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

i know old thread revival but i can contribute to this:

recently took mine to sturt inspection with Haltech and they rang Regency for confirmation. Regency guy asked why it was fitted, how it drove and who tuned it. I said to improve fuel consumption and make it easier and smoother to drive and tuned. I told him it drove like a new car, very smoothly and it was tuned at Hitech Dyno etc...
He said he will allow it over the phone because my car was so old and majority of cars tuned properly easily get under the emission level nehow.
Hope this helps but maybe i just got a lucky break...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:39 pm 

nick wrote:
i know old thread revival but i can contribute to this:

recently took mine to sturt inspection with Haltech and they rang Regency for confirmation. Regency guy asked why it was fitted, how it drove and who tuned it. I said to improve fuel consumption and make it easier and smoother to drive and tuned. I told him it drove like a new car, very smoothly and it was tuned at Hitech Dyno etc...
He said he will allow it over the phone because my car was so old and majority of cars tuned properly easily get under the emission level nehow.
Hope this helps but maybe i just got a lucky break...
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Yes - very lucky. I assume he would have had to lead the example by bending you over if you were at regency. But... perhaps there is hope yet.

When speaking to Baz about 6 months ago, he did mention that because recency now have the proper emission testing equipment, the price for a full test will come down substantially (more like $600 vicinity). Whether that means you can now legally undertake the mods though is questionable... it's just that you can get tested.

I hope they pull their head out of their ass and permit mods like turbo swaps and a/m management. Their past arguement against mods because of changing the car's emissions output is now defunct.