Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:38 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:14 pm 

Okay very quick update - i'll post photos when i get a chance.
last coupe of weeks we have...

1. started on wiring - lights working etc
2. installed engine (reusing the MS'd l26 for now pending a l28et build)
3. resprayed dash/console etc in a clean matt black - looks good me thinks
4. started wetsanding & polishing up all the panels. Good news is there's heaps of clear so the finish is gonna be schmick! bad news is the basecoat isnt all perfect so I may respray some further panels down the line *shrugs* we'll see... plenty of paint left!

still to do:

1. Suspension needs a rebuild/lowering etc - need joints, shocks, springs etc
2. Finish wiring/megasquirt/EDIS etc
3. Fab/install new brake and fuel lines
4. Upgrade master cylinder (ideas?? [Mark? Urvan maybe?])
5. convert to rear disk brakes (if I get around to figuring out a conversion before rego time... unlikely)
6. Install a beast exhaust. We were thinking of cutting into the spare tyre well to make space for a duel exaust... running two pipes may help get more gass through the the narrow diff gap
7.Install interior including fabbing mounts and retrimming the doorskins... can anyone suggest a good upholsterer that wont break my pathetic budget?
8.Smoke and spray rear lights indicators etc
9.sounddddd systemmmmm
10. New door and boot rubbers ETC... sourcing these is gonna be F**Ked... again I'm open to suggestions here
11. Do Rego, Drive, Enjoy having life on weekends not involved in rebuilding car (showing off said car)!!
(12. upgrade to L28ET after rego)
(13. Pass barrier exams :oops: )

hmmm... that november deadline is looming closer :?

Cheers internet world people!!
-Pierre :D

Last edited by kolonelklink on Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:55 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Wow, a lot going on there Pete!

4) Yes, that's what I'm using on the coupe. It requires some slight mods to your brake piping, nothing you can't handle mate.

10)There is a company out this way (western Sydney) that sells that sort of stuff. There is also a place in ?Melbourne. I will have to have a look but I think one is called Scott's old rubber company and the other was Pete Jackson in Dunheved. IIRC?

I love the way you wrote 9....yeah baby! Pump out those tunes!!!

AND.....yes, don't neglect 13 man......says uncle Mark!

Cheers and see you soon! (Soccer season is almost over!)

'Nissantiques - Join the Club'

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:59 am 

this car is looking awesome and well done on the repairs!!!!

only thing.... steelies would look MUCh better than those wheels!
they ruin the whole thing!!!!! sell them to someone on boostlosing and get some cheap steelies.
Paint them body colour and fit chrome dress trims.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:34 pm 

got an example? I'm not sold on the matching rim colour to body colour idea: got any pictures? ... Find me a good looking, cheap 8inch 114.5x5 with +40 offset and we'll talk :P
I have to spend my money where it goes the furthest and as much as i want massive dish and stretch there isnt that kind of money in the budget. I'm basically doing the best i can with what i can afford... those rims only cost me $150 for the lot brand new in boxes... you can't fit second hand tyres to them for that cheap!

Continuing the parsimonious theme for the day, one more addition to this weeks worklog: I went down to the Jaycar down the road from me and found that they were trying to clear the last pair of thier premium-line 10" Kevlar woofers before they change to a different stock... so i says to myself... hmm, good time to save some money by getting a good price now. On top of the massive discount due to stock clearance, I talked them a bit further down due to some scratches on the box etc (oh yes... I'm THAT tightarse!).
Anyway, so I've ended up with a brand-spanking new pair of belgium made 300w kelvar woofers for $50 each (down from $200 each!) which are gonna look and sound SWEET on the rear parcel shelf when combined with the sub in the boot, three ways and tweeters that I already have.

:lol: all the way to the bank buddy :D

:rofl: - Pedro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:32 am 

++ forgot to mention... after popping into the exhaust shop and having a long discussion about fabbing a new exaust we settled on a plan to fit a 3&1/2" from extractors to diff then twin 2&1/2" pipes to get over the diff and out either side with glasspacks. We have to remove the wheelwell ourselves and weld it up to make space for the new passenger side pipes(no issue compared to what we've done so far!). They'll do it for roughly $1000 which sounds reasonable to me but if anyone knows of a shop nearby that might do a better deal i'm all ears as I havent shopped around on this yet.
Similarly the suspension rebuild and lowering looks to be a round thousand depending on availability of parts quoted from a MIDAS workshop.

As always I'm open to suggestions and input on this stuff
Thanks guys! :)

-poita

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:16 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

That's a phat exhaust Pete! :P

Building it now for when the engine is turbo'd, I assume?

Stainless? Mild steel? Press or mandrel bends? Those answers will help us decide if you're paying too much or not.

Otherwise...... :thumbsup:

PS, Jim Hunters suspension in Blacktown verbally quoted $300 for a drive in drive out front spring replacement to whatever height I want with HD springs with a wheel alignment etc...truely in/out job, couple of days turn around.

Phone 96766399 if you're interested. They'll know me as I had a wheel alignment done recently and the car handles nicely with the new wheel/tyre combo. Tell 'em I sent you!

Cheers :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:09 am 

Hmmm... let me get back to you... The mufflershop down the road (like a couple of blocks) did me a rough qoute but I think i'll go back and see if they'd be willing to do the suspension also and negoiate round package number. I like the location and they've done some muffler stuff and a pink slip for me before - they seem like nice fair guys and i can pop down the road whenever i want to check-up or communicate on progress... sometimes convienience is king :O but i'll give the blackdown boys a call if only to get what sounds like a very competitive quote at the least.

On springs: Thats not a bad price, I got quoted somehting near that but I was actually looking at doing: front springs, rear leafs, new shocks, new balljoints and anything else that i can get my hands on/afford after that... I still have the old front-end swaybar but I'm a bit dubious on using it even though it looks straight... the front of the car was pretty wrecked...:S
I'd love a thicker rear sway bar if you know where to source one?

Basically I don't just want it to look "low". I plan on putting some good power through this thing and thus willl work on anything I can do to work on the agility of the vehicle(its an uphill battle :P). its not a track car obviously but stopping and turning are basics of not ruining that pretty paint :P
Maybe its just post-collision paranoia - big brakes, lots of tread, stiff handling... If only i'd cut a foot and a half off my turn circle it'd never have happened lol.
Spent way too much time beating panels on this car to want to start over. :shock:

:cheers -EtaPay

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:39 pm 

This car is an absolute credit to you and what a lovely looking machine the 330 Cedric Coupe is, i think it's great that you didn't give up with it after your accident and you have stuck with it.
Reading through your posts on here is an inspiration for anyone who is contemplating a rebuild and WOW this is gonna be one awesome ride when it's all back together. Those coupes really are PHAT, how i wish that we had them over here in the UK.

Happy Cedri - King :cheers
Graham

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:07 pm 

Hey dudes and dudettes,
MK came around today and we got a bunch of stuff done... really churning out the progress these days! :D
I don't have time for a proper discussion so I'll just shoot off some photos and list:
The good:
-Got first front seat fitted (welded up an adaptor bracket... would have been a daunting task a while ago but its almost second nature now)- this interior is gonna be schweeet... no big money prizes guessing where i got it from? :P
-repainted and polished rear light assembly and trim.
-cleaned up and repainted front dash
-got all electrics running minus megasquirt (still need to fit a radiator but the engine turns over and starter motor runs etc)
-cut off excess and cleaned up the final welds on the undercarriage

The bad:
-more sunshine means i get to see more paint errors.. damn!!! gonna be some touch up work going on down the track but it can wait. The finish is good but the low lighting I had when i was painting (only had free time at night) meant some places the base coat just isnt thick enough.
-I must have ground down one of the welds on the body too much a while ago because it popped today and cracked the paint above it... its not biggey, just a small scratch on one of the sills but i'll have to grind it down, reweld and repaint that area... amen for acryllic paint touchups
-still havent finished polishing the car *shrug*

And the pictures:
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
I'm thinking i might cut some plate steel or aluminium to fit either side of the engine bay to tidy it up a little.. what do you guys reckon?

-Big Ears

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:12 pm 

Captain Cedric wrote:
This car is an absolute credit to you and what a lovely looking machine the 330 Cedric Coupe is, I think it's great that you didn't give up with it after your accident and you have stuck with it.
Reading through your posts on here is an inspiration for anyone who is contemplating a rebuild and WOW this is gonna be one awesome ride when it's all back together. Those coupes really are PHAT, how I wish that we had them over here in the UK.

Happy Cedri - King :cheers
Graham
Thanks Graham thats awful high praise :oops: shucksssssss
Realistically however I'm building the car out of selfishness: I want an awesome toy of a car and I can't afford to buy one for a good number of years to come - nessecity is the mother of invention :P

-P.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:52 pm 

some inspiration?
[ img ]
and more........
http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~kf2m-isbs/g ... rah230.JPG
http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~kf2m-isbs/g ... 30-big.JPG
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a31/so ... -star5.jpg

they have so much badass potential, all you need is low and proper wheels and you're set.

please don't chop up the parcel shelf for subwoofers :| :|

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:48 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Hey, that 2 door 230 Gloria looks familiar! :thumbsup: Got somethin' like that in my garage :wink:

Yes wheels are important but it's so much a matter of taste.......I like, you hate, you like, I hate :blahblah:

Keep up the great work Pete!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:15 pm 

yeah i've had that 4door as a background on my computer for like 2 years now lol.
the parcel shelf was cut by the prior owner I'm just using the space.
Also like i keep saying on the rims it'd love something along those lines but a good set in the right stud pattern and offset with 8" width don't come cheap... It's nice to have pretty wheels but nicer to have the money to afford to finish your build.
Rims are a bolt on part... ie: I can change them later when i have the money to do it right. :chaching:

I guess i'm not as interested in rims being the centerpeice of a ride because they are just a purchase part - you take them on or off and mess around... no fabrication: there's no labour of love required. Harder to get attached to :P

Be good now,
More progress to come

Pete.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:02 pm 

I love your workshop Pete!

It remind me of when I started my first restoration job.
Only thing was that I had to lock all my stuff away after wards.
It was a mission, but was the only way to avoid my tools growing feet.

You guys are an inspiration. Keep up the good work!

Regards,

Arrie

My Datsun/Nissan History (South Africa)
1974 Datsun 260c Auto - In Progress
2009 Nissan NP200 - 2009 to current
1999 Nissan Centra 160i - 2003 to 2006
1984 Datsun 1400 LDV - 1996 to 2002

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:35 pm 

arrie wrote:
I love your workshop Pete!
Hahaha! yeah we actually did most of the metalwork in the garage but brought it out to set up the pavilion as a spray tent and have just left it there since to complete the build - its nice to have the extra working space in the yard with the tent walls wond up. Plus the garage it PACKED full of parts for this thing now... couldnt get it back in if i tried lol.

I must remember to get a better photo of the rear lights - they're from a cedric SGLE rather than the coupe and they are beauties at night.
Hopefully tomorrow I'll get stuck in to the other seats and start cutting out the rear tyre well.
Due to a distributor stock delay my radiator is behind schedule and thus the engine startup is going to have to wait another week :(

-pete