Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 9:53 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:14 pm 

13B engines are 1300cc.

Never thought about it, but the 20B, being 3 rotors, should be 1300 + 650 = 1950cc?

I came across a sweet deal on an SR20DET. I think I am hands on this one, SR20DET into my 610. The 20B will be my next project.

What about the SR20 and the local regulations on max engine size?

:cheers

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:53 pm 

SR20 is no problems, there is a multiplication factor for the turbo, but it's still under. The factor for rotaries is different but i haven't actually checked if the 20B would be okay.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:33 am 

IRPSSS wrote:
SR20 is no problems, there is a multiplication factor for the turbo, but it's still under. The factor for rotaries is different but I haven't actually checked if the 20B would be okay.
20b = not a chance.
You can't engineer a 13bt in a car around 950kg. They rate the capacity fairly weird for rotaries in Victoria.
When I was organizing the engineer for the fj20 conversion they used the following equation for conversions.

Cars under 1100kg
Turbo engine = 2.5 x original weight.
NA engine = 3.8 x original weight.

Cars over 1100kg
Turbo engine = 2.75 x original weight.
NA engine = 4 x original weight.

There is a heavier category but I didn't look at that.
You'll also find a grey area where some engineers won't like to do cylinder increases(4 to 6. Or 6 to 8). Some will some wont.

Will be a good cruiser when done.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:18 pm 

Seems silly doing it like that, i would have thought there would be stock cars that are outside the rules (thinking along the lines of an A9X, bolwell nagari, AC cobra etc) Does that mean if you owned one of those cars you couldn't increase the size of your engine?

180b Wagon daily
http://ozdat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f= ... 9&start=30

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:27 am 

Good point Wiseys180.

What if I had a Porsche 914 , but the 6 cyl flat motor. It is a pretty light car. According to that rule the factory engine should be janked off.

Perhaps there are exceptions to that rule.

:cheers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:57 pm 

there are no cars outside the rules!
this applies when looking to change from the original motor to something different, not the size of the motor in general.
the reason some engineers will accept cylinder increases and some won't, is probably due to the fact that some guys stop at the capacity rule and others read further about weight distribution and all the other crap they have written. Hence the reason my guy wasn't willing to okay the L6, capacity is no problems but extra weight over the front axle affects the front end engineering.

'72 1600 ground up rebuild - Sold/parted
'89 VN Calais 5L - Sold
'83 VH SLE ground up rebuild - Sold (further built and featured in Street Commodores)
'01 Subaru Liberty B4, 160kW at all four - Sold

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:13 am 

DRiPproject wrote:
there are no cars outside the rules!
this applies when looking to change from the original motor to something different, not the size of the motor in general.
You can get around the rules somewhat. Cylinder increases are allowed IF the engine was available in that chassis. Like Torana(LH/LX) 186 to 308 is sweet for example. But then a VASS(engineers) cert wouldn't be needed b
Vicroads in all their awesomeness believe 12A = 2.4ltr, 13B = 2.6ltr or 20B = 4ltr. Fools.

Sorry for the hyjack! Back to topic. Have you looked into a non-turbo VG30(either the early one with SOHC or the late DOHC(quad cam) Even a stock early SOHC one would have plenty enough power for a cruiser. I'd imagine you'd be able to pick one up for next to nothing too.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:07 pm 

"fools"? I'm all for allowing crazy engine swaps but why should Wankel engines have such an advantage by virtue of their classification? Three power strokes in every revolution!!! Six times the theoretical displacement per rotor/cylinder of the same swept volume in a four stroke engine.

Rotaries and two strokes don't go harder because of magic lol

1999 GXE10

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:34 pm 

i have been looking at the V6's, VG is cheap but iron block means they are weighty and huge to boot! (roughly 700mm in all directions)

'89 VN Calais 5L - Sold
'83 VH SLE ground up rebuild - Sold (further built and featured in Street Commodores)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:19 pm 

VG30 fits easy. Mate had one in his 180B, but it will be illegal.

Here's his. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQDQk6bj ... jdakGO1Aex

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:30 pm 

it would seem that the V6's are not as tight a fit into the 180b as a 1600, so it will be either a VQ25det or VG33e. Just need to check out pricing and what it will take to get them engineered? I fear this will cause me much headache, as i have just come from a turbo car in which the power was great but i love the scream of a NA motor. so, in the meantime i will freshen up the L18 with twin SU/exhaust/cam and then annoy my engineer again to get him to agree to sign off on either of the V6's.

'89 VN Calais 5L - Sold

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:49 pm 

After getting distracted by other things for the past year, I have come back to the wagon with renewed enthusiasm.
I have got some new carpet, made a new muffler bracket, acquired an Eaton M45 from a mini, new steering wheel and some other bits and pieces.
So, it will end up being a supercharged L18 motivating the old girl. Easy torque and power without having to increase the rev ceiling or affect the idle quality etc.
After I have it all mounted up, I plan to run a draw through Mikuni HSR48 carb, a locked electronic dizzy with a Jaycar programmable ignition module and possibly water/meth injection.
If anyone has done this type of supercharger before any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

'89 VN Calais 5L - Sold

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:57 am 

I looked at running one of the Toyota 1GGZE Rootes superchargers blowing through an Impco LPG mixer on a mate's 280ZX. The idea was to modify an air con compressor bracket to mount the supercharger and see if an air con belt would drive it OK. If not, go to a multirib belt.

If you're sucking fuel through the blower (are the Eatons OK with that?) you might be better off with it mounted on top of a modified stock inlet manifold so you don't get fuel separation and mixture distribution problems.

Unless they've been updated recently, the Jaycar ignition controllers don't have any provision for dealing with boost (which is why I don't use one). I know EFI is dearer and more complex but it would give you more options for mounting the supercharger, the ablilty to use an intercooler and better tunability (so you burn less engines getting this so it runs hard & sweet). Have you looked at Megasquirt computers yet? I have one to run 4 Chev LS2 coils with a crank trigger and I can use the fuel side of it to control electronic water/methanol injection since I run straight LPG. You probably don't want to put a LPG cylinder in your wagon (I wouldn't) so an L18E manifold or 180B SSS manifold with a fabricated plenum and throttle body on the front and injector bosses welded on to the runners would get air and fuel into your L18 nicely.

It doesn't have to be hugely expensive, as fuel pumps and injectors can come from something like a BA 6 cylinder Falcon (should be easily big enough), either new or from the wreckers.

The hardest part will be mounting the blower, making the pulleys work and all the plumbing fit. Don't forget to budget (plenty) for tuning, whatever you do.

Hope this is helpful. Can you post a photo of the blower? Do you know what size drive pulley the Mini used? Are you intending to use a stock L18 or build one to suit?

Cheers!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:38 pm 

Fuel is not a problem with the Eaton, no coating on the rotors due to the helical screw design. I hadn't considered mounting it to an adapted stock manifold, but that will work well as the inlet is at the rear so there should be no problems with under bonnet height.
I doubt they would have, so I'll look into that some more with regards to achieving what I need for ignition. You're right, I most certainly do not want a tank in the back and I can't be bothered with an EFI conversion.
I plan to open up the engine and inspect it, if its in good nick, then I'll just get some head work done to improve the flow and bolt it back together. Not looking to make as much power as possible, just another 30-50 would be nice. Having said that, I most probably won't be able to help myself and will go all out on it.
I will have to try and get a photo of the blower and measure the pulley.

'89 VN Calais 5L - Sold

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:32 am 

pulley diameter is 65mm

'89 VN Calais 5L - Sold