Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 7:11 am

All times are UTC+11:00

what colour should i paint my car?? (see page 3)
Gun Metal Gray 39%  39%  [ 13 ]
White 15%  15%  [ 5 ]
Blue 12%  12%  [ 4 ]
Purple 18%  18%  [ 6 ]
Yellow 15%  15%  [ 5 ]
Total votes: 33
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:08 pm 

quick update!!

i set the alarm off :oops: and i was surprised at how loud it was!!! i have a few questions about it,

is it stock?

and

how do i turn it off

when it went off i just got scared, nearly made an embarrassing brown stain in my pants and just pull one of the battery terminals off. when ever the terminal hit the battery it started, so all i did was took the fuse out for the alarm.

any help would be great. :D

sadly, the 120y blew up and the old sss was sold to a better home.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:04 pm 

It is not stock.

I don't believe they had car alarms in the 70's.

Remove it, they are a pain in the arse, and totally useless.

[ img ]
BM510 wrote:
I'm a driver.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:17 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

datdrift wrote:
i used to have a couple of these round gauge dash's i pulled out of 180b sss years ago,i think i wrecked em
Likewise. I bought a few 180B SSS's just to strip for parts for my 1600 back in the day. They were all early, round dash ones.

I've still got the tacho out of one in my 1600 - I just trimmed it with tinsnips till it fitted where the 1600 has a spare hole in the dash, drilled a few holes in it so you could still see the charge, oil and handbrake warning lights, then araldited it in place :oops: . Worked beautifully :thumbsup:

And car alarms ? Hell, you usually didn't even bother locking your car back then.

1965 SP310 Fairlady
1966 SP311 Fairlady

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:39 am 

If you don't have the remote for it anyway, it is totally useless. Unplug it and chuck it in the bin.

As for the brown stain, i recommend bleach or some sort of fabric soap.

[ img ]
BM510 wrote:
I'm a driver.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:27 pm 

quick update!!

went to the wreckers on friday with NSWdatsun and got some really nice dash components, all in really good nick! so got a whole dash, except he dash pad for under 60 dollars!! ooo and some granny spec mud flaps included :D

:oops: and no matter what NSWdatsun says, my alarm was not my horn just stuck turned on!! IT WAS LOAD!!!! :oops:

but all that is behind me now, and today i wheeled the sss out of the shed into he sunshine and gave it a wash.

[ img ]

came up looking really good!

i pulled out the dash pad today after the wash, and looking into the best way to get it repaired.

here's some photo's

[ img ]

[ img ]

i've been reading the interior section and found this Dashboard repairs ? and thinking it will work the same. anyone else have some tricks up there sleeves?

oh and someone tell me finding cut wires behind the dash is a good thing?? :?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:57 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

zanvour wrote:
Er, not really a good sign. Can you follow the wires and work out where they go to? It might explain why something vital wasn't working (if you've checked everything).

As for your dash, go back to the wreckers and get the other dash pad if it's still perfect. I'm no expert, and I'm sure it is repairable, but your one looks fairly stuffed to me!

The fleet:

Australia:
'80 200B GX - the green200b - hibernating
'81 RX-7 - 12A extend port - daily
'74 RX-2 - 13B bridgeport - cruiser

Europe:
'93 200SX - CA18DET - tourer
Dato200B wrote:
Green200B has forgotten more about 200Bs than we will ever know.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:08 pm 

green200b wrote:
zanvour wrote:
Er, not really a good sign. Can you follow the wires and work out where they go to? It might explain why something vital wasn't working (if you've checked everything).
i have, and it just goes back to plugs but dont worry, we'll work it out soon :D
green200b wrote:
As for your dash, go back to the wreckers and get the other dash pad if it's still perfect. I'm no expert, and I'm sure it is repairable, but your one looks fairly stuffed to me!
yeah, im pretty sure this one has seen better days. :lol:

the one at he wreckers wasn't perfect but in better nick then mine. i think it only had one crack. it might be a better option.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:27 pm 

hey all

tried to start it again today (i've been out of fuel up untill today :oops: ) and i didnt go so well.

i tried and tried butt just didnt want to hang in there. i think (from minimal experience) the timing is wrong so tomorrow morning i will pull the dizzy cap off and try to set it along with the fan belt, again! any tips?

i also found that i had to hold the key in the furthermost position or else it just dies completely. i consulted my father on this and advised me not to, for it will ware the starter motor. is he correct?

today i also rang around to see how much re-trimming the seats would cost, and i was shocked at how much it costs!! just had to share that with all of you. does anyone know of a cheap place in melbourne?

cheers
Darcy

ps - if anyone wants to come and help get it started and join in on the fun, just pop on by during the day :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:51 am 

[quote="zanvour"]hey all

tried to start it again today (i've been out of fuel up untill today :oops: ) and i didnt go so well.

i tried and tried butt just didnt want to hang in there. i think (from minimal experience) the timing is wrong so tomorrow morning i will pull the dizzy cap off and try to set it along with the fan belt, again! any tips?

i also found that i had to hold the key in the furthermost position or else it just dies completely. i consulted my father on this and advised me not to, for it will ware the starter motor. is he correct

datdrift
you will chew your starter and ring gear on flywheel by holding it on(listen to dad)
have you tried holding the chokes on while starting,su's can be hard to start after running out of fuel or just being cold.
easiest way to set the dizzy if its not running is to take off oil cap and set the motor to about 15 degrees on the timming indicator.make sure the inlet and exhaust lobes on the 1st cyl is pointing up ,i.e vavles both shut,this way you know that its suppose to fire on cylinder 1,(not 180 degrees out.) then set the dizzy so the rotor button is pointing at spark lead no.1,this should fire up.then i recommend using a timming light :thumbsup:

GET THAT DATSUN DIFFERENCE!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:42 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Give me call at some point on Sunday. I'm fairly busy until then but I'll come and have a look if you like!

The fleet:

Australia:

Europe:
Dato200B wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:38 pm 

datdrift wrote:
zanvour wrote:
hey all

i also found that i had to hold the key in the furthermost position or else it just dies completely. i consulted my father on this and advised me not to, for it will ware the starter motor. is he correct

Sounds like your ballast resistor is shot. (i.e your not getting spark when the key goes back to the on position.) Its a little white ceramic thing on the inner gaurd and has a few wires going to it. Easy enough to get a new one, or even a second hand one.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:41 pm 

fj20_180b_nz wrote:
zanvour wrote:
hey all

Sounds like your ballast resistor is shot. (i.e your not getting spark when the key goes back to the on position.) Its a little white ceramic thing on the inner gaurd and has a few wires going to it. Easy enough to get a new one, or even a second hand one.
This car has an electric dizzy and coil, it doesn't use a ballast resistor. Any other ideas?

[ img ]
BM510 wrote:
I'm a driver.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:03 am 

[quote="nswdatsun"
This car has an electric dizzy and coil, it doesn't use a ballast resistor. Any other ideas?[/quote]

try running a wire from + of battery to the + on the coil,then see if its starts,if it does u will have to stall it to stop it,if this still doesnt start it try a another module in the dizzy or coil(you have a electronic coil on it?),most electric dizzys have the same bosh part under that cover on the side with the 2 phiilip head screws i.e ford xf module will go into the bluebird dizzy,ive had a lot of problems with electric dizzys,mostly being the module.
the modules have a type of heat protective cream between module and dizzy,to stop these modules from being overheated,dont touch this cream with skin as it can cause cancer.
hope this helps :thumbsup:

GET THAT DATSUN DIFFERENCE!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:29 pm 

okay, so nick/nswdatsun and i got it started, just a wiring problem but now its running and even idling with the choke all the way in! :D

plans now is to get it painted in the next few weeks. i want it at a shop, or somewhere being preped by the end of the week. wish me luck.

i've posted a thread in the exterior section, but haven't heard back yet about good places to go for the body work and paint. so why not ask again to the people that care enough to ready my little thread. :D does anyone know anyone good and fairly cheap that is willing to spray my car?

i've also decided on a colour. and a few of you might be disappointing (NSWdatsun, sorry.)
i'm going to go a nice off white. i think it will look ace. a bit like the fender guitars that look faded. anyone know what i mean? i;m going with this cos it will be done in acrylic paint, and i dont have the spare 2K+ for a metallic gun metal spray job. i need some help with paint codes. my knowledge about them and how to get the right one is from nort to nort. any help would be great.

other than that, progress has been slow.

Darcy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:28 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Paint it yourself dude! That's what I'm doing with mine, becaue I'm a cheapskate.

Also, I saw a 180B SSS on the weekend that might have made you cry...

The fleet:

Australia:

Europe:
Dato200B wrote: