Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 5:58 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:51 am 

Hi, My name's Garnett, and I have a confession to make...
I'm a Toyota fan...

What, pray tell, am I doing on a Datsun forum then? Well, a concession I must make is that, really, all things considered, Dattos are sexier than Toyotas...
I own quite a little collection of 70's and early 80's Toyotas, and while I love them to bits, I've always considered 70's Datsun's lines to be much more asthetically pleasing.

It's with this in mind, that I concluded to jump at the chance to own a 1980 Datsun 200B Aspen. She's down right beautiful, and she's one of the less attractive dattos...

I'm on the look out for a few more Dattos to add to the stable when they pop up for the right price (pretty much meaning if the price matches my bank balance...)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:59 pm 

hi garnett
good to see another 200b join the forums even if he loves toyota's im a bit partial to the old crowns myself. aspens are pretty rare from i can understand and apprently have a nice interior got any pics?

78 ZH Fairlane 500 Bluesmobile
86 ZL Fairlane ZLane
78 ZH Fairlane 500 Barn find
85 Troopy 2H Turbo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:10 pm 

Meh... Back again.. although i cant remember my old log in so my new one makes me a "newbie" i guess.. I caved.. after a couple of years playing with ke and ae rollers, i went and bought someone elses problem.. A ve purple 1200 sedan.. hahaha its hecktic leb spec but i think i can get some jdm out of it.. PLUS the mrs likes the colour and the purple and black interior, therefor, green lighting another car in bits all over the garage..

Might stay tru this time to.. the car is ready for a ca and silivia box but i might go and rebuild an L20 with big induction noise.. ill post some pics once i get around to it..

Cheers
Kenny

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:17 pm 

what about a CA with twin carbs?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:09 pm 

Hi all! Just joined. I have a 1964 320 ute that I'm starting to do up. Bought it yesterday. ( finally talked "she who must be obeyed" into it)
I do need a windscreen & front bar if anyone has 1 lying around.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:54 pm 

Hey OZDat, joined a couple of days ago, and i own a 1978 datsun 200b GL. I got it for free from a mate who said he was going to scrap it and because i was a skool boy at the time i decided to take it up and work on it till its perfect. Ive just fixed up all the rust on it at the moment. The paint job on it comes up pretty nice with a good buff but definently needs a new paint job.

My plans for it are up to my $ balance 8) (which usually isnt to high :lol: ) but all in all i am planning on tuning up the engine with maybe some 40mm twin webers for a L20B, putting some better extractors and exhaust system on it. Some nice wheels and lowering it a little bit :)

But with not much of a clue with engines im pretty boned but some of the threads on here have helped a lot with what else i can do to my car.

Anyways here is some basic photo's some are 1's i took when i was grinding out the rust and some are the finish job :D

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
Image(154).jpg [ 172.1 KiB | Viewed 2622 times ]
[ attachment ]
Image(148).jpg [ 148.51 KiB | Viewed 2622 times ]
[ attachment ]
Image(149).jpg [ 149.85 KiB | Viewed 2622 times ]
[ attachment ]
Image(153).jpg [ 146.6 KiB | Viewed 2622 times ]
[ attachment ]
Image(151).jpg [ 152.99 KiB | Viewed 2622 times ]

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:10 pm 

Hey guys,
My name is Tim as you can prob tell from the user name lol. I am a holden man and always have been as my daily driver is a 2008 ssv sportwagon. I have only just started to get into datsuns recently and have been looking hard for a clean stock 1600 but no luck. A mate at work told me that he has a 120y sitting on his property that belongs to his mum and has been there for 10 years and he wants it gone so I told him to get some pics and show me and turns out its in pretty good condition for something that has sat in the weather in the one spot for 10 years. His mum said i could have it for a bottle of wine and help get it on a trailer so i said why not. it has a fair bit of surface rust but the best thing about it is its completely stock with the original engine and 4 speed box. So im tossing up if i should get it and mod it the way i like or just restore to original which would only need a respray in same colour and maybe re build the engine. But enough from me i hope to learn a great deal while im here.
Cheers
Tim

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:56 pm 

Howdy,

Long time reader, first time poster. Currently trying to build up a 1600. First car, Monaro GTS Coupe, horrible mess. SOLD. Now wishing I hadn't sold it. Bought Datsun 1600 with L20B twin SU's, drove it, loved it, thrashed it. Bigger brakes than power, probably saved me. Parked it at a mates farm... 10 years later started to pull it down. That was 5 years ago and 4 house moves later. Currently still cutting out rust, now i understand why people look for good shells. POINT. When you go down and buy folded replacement sills, these in no way actually represent the OEM sill pressed for application. Substantial reworks, hammering, cutting, flaring etc. Thats why I did the passenger sill first, so i don't have to see it when i can actually get in and start it. Will not be undertaking this on the drivers side. Note to self on the powers of gravity, lower sections of sill suffer most, treat lower section only.

Anyway... Currently building a decent space to do works at the old stables, marriage does have advantages. Fully sealed and MOISTURE free. End goal. Good track car for club stuff, possible look at Improved Production. Then start on bikes... Thats another story.

Car still on the Rotisserie and I have realised that all good things take time. There is a danger it might not be that good but hey, i love doing it and I love spending money so i definitely get to do that.

What have i learned so far, too much... what do i know, not much at all. Get stuck in.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 1:20 am 

hi all.... :D new to the site.....der!!!!
im paul ....had datos for a while now....(cant help what you love)...hence a 120y
ive owned one b4 datsuns were in style,,,,,,lol
were they ever???? lmao..
good little car.....Mine has been EVERYWHERE......
my daily is slightly mod
full tinted window
centrall locking...
keyless entry
keyless start
bathurst globes
spotlights and driving light (hidden behind grill)
stereo (that way to smart for the car....lol
ive got a project 120y
AND MY DAUGHTER just bought her FIRST car......aaawwww
A 120Y....lmao....I had nothing to do with it ...lol....
I SWEAR........anyway that the whole collection.....
(way to much free time....lol)
i hope to say hi soon.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 1:56 am 

Hey, I'm Bernard.
I live in the eastern suburbs of melbourne. I'm only 18 (19 in a few days) but I have loved the look and sound of dattos my whole life.

I've been a member for like a month now and already I have picked up so much useful knowledge about the stuff I can do to give life back to my beast. My every day drive is a 1990 Corolla SX, but my new project is my mate's old green 200B sedan. I got it from him in a fairly sorry state; no engine or gearbox, interior a mess (dash is on the passenger's seat for example) and the paint will need attention eventually.

Immediate plans: L20B with twin 40mm solex carbs, big cam, l18 head, running through a 240K gearbox which I'll get whenever Alistair has time to bring it up haha. A mate of mine can get me a sweet deal on a respray, so It will likely be turned cadbury purple some time around christmas if all goes to plan.

Long term: engine change when I'm no longer a povo student and can actually afford it. Still haven't decided what to go with. It's a toss up between a VG30 or variant there-of (definitely my favorite option), a V8 of some kind if I can fond one that will fit, though it would stuff the handling, or maybe a 13B if I can get a good one. Who doesn't love a Ratsun?

Either way, it's gonna be alot of fun getting this bad boy going again, especially once it has the cojones to smoke most wanky Conformadores.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:43 pm 

Hi everyone

First time post so please be kind. I joined OzDat a couple of days ago as my dad and I are planning to restore his Datsun 1600 as rust and engine age/wear is starting to become an issue and we want it to last for a lot longer into the future and I heard this was a great place to get the information we need

Our major aims are to fix up the body properly, rebuild the motor to give it enough power to keep up with modern traffic (not interested in drag strip specials) and anything else that needs doing to keep it running as a daily driver plus a few minor enhancements such as a better exhaust note, lowered springs, 5 speed gearbox etc… and we’d also like to run an AC unit as well.

Our car has an L18 motor (although it is not a SSS) and still has (believed) the original 4 speed gearbox

Dad did it up a while back with regards to the interior and the body but never touched anything else other than a resonator exhaust and lowered springs. Neither of us are panel beaters or mechanics so the body job was pretty backyardish (lots of bog and riveted steel plates!) , and after 8 years the rust has eaten away badly at the rear quarters and wheel arches so we’re prepared to strip it bare to get it the body work professionally done so that it lasts for longer.

While we’re more than capable of pulling the car apart and putting the major things back in, rebuilding and enhancing engines/gearboxes is way out of our league.

So one of the first questions I have is in regards to the motor and if anyone could recommend someone that can completely rebuild the existing L18 with dual Webers (or SU carbs – happy to take advice either way), electronic dizzy, better head/valves/cam for running ULP and strengthened/upgraded internals to cope with more power and compression – plus anything else that may be needed.

With regard to the gearbox I’ve heard that using Skyline (R31) gearboxes are pretty good as they are strong and should easily cope with a tuned L18 motor? We’d be able to source the gearbox but ideally would be looking for someone who could also rebuild that as well (if it needs it) and make sure it fits with the L18 motor.

We’re on a budget but having said that we’d be prepared to spend the coin to get a really good job by someone who stands by their work i.e. warranty

Many thanks for any help you can provide, hopefully this will be the first post of many to come in future

1971 Datsun 1600
2019 Mazda 6 Touring Wagon
2009 Holden SV6 Sedan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:10 pm 

Hi all,

Long time reader from Adelaide, I just joined up to expand my 18 month quest for a 240K (wanted ads). No previous Datsun ownership, but a long term fan of 410 Bluebird's, CSP310 Silvia's, Prince Skyline's, 1000 Coupe's, 1600/2000 Sports and the aforementioned Kenmeri...time to get with the program! Some fun reading already, I know I'm in the right spot.

Cheers,
Duane :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:00 am 

Hey all,
I'm Dave, I'm 31 and I live on the Gold Coast.
I recently acquired my old Datsun 620 King Cab back. I owned this about 10 years ago, and had to get rid of it as I needed a more reliable daily. It was the first ute I'd tinkered with, and really got me into minitrucks. I always said i'd buy it back if I had the chance, and sure enough, I spotted it the other day and called the guy straight away.
When I owned it last it looked like this-
[ img ]
[ img ]

and now it looks like this-
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

So, yeah I have a lot of work ahead, but it's all going to be worth it, cos I love this thing. It will get a lot of custom chassis and bodywork to lay flat with hydraulic suspension. Hopefully I'll get started on rust removal soon.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:35 am 

lol the guide coat flames in the back! Pretty cool mate, what was the owner trying to do to it? Looks like a lot of hard work had been un-done :(

1999 GXE10

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:36 pm 

hey guys,

always loved dattos in that unexplainable way lol have got a '69 1600, needs tlc 2 get it back to its former undeniable glory. work in progress will hopefully put pics up soon, great site so many helpful peeps here, Im livin in melbourne n will have questions n no mechanical expertise lol be gentle!
cheers all
Bayden.

Ol' Blue is on the road!!

Finally!!