Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 8:08 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:22 pm 

Quote:
springs and washers roll out and drop through the immovable steel grill of the long drain
Aww comon Neil...Nothings "immovable" thats just the pesimist inside you talking :D

Thinking back now i remember probably my worst stuff up durring my trainieship

One of the senior techs had asked me to clean up the head on a falcon ready for a new gasket and head installation. Now I went on my way thinkin, this'll be piss. Now at that stage i'd never seen a motor without the head on it before :shock:
Ok, so i've got my little air die ginder and bicky on it and i'm sanding away so i get a nice fairly cleaned surface. I go and get the tech and he looks at my nice job, looks at me, looks at the job again then states how what i've done is actually just polish the head gasket....then proceeds to peel the gasket off with a razor...and walks away laughing leaving me thinking %^&$ !!!!! :evil: about 10 minutes later i had the thing all nice and shiny, and it was the head surface this time, not the gasket :cry:

Another time, i was filling an engine up with oil from one of the guns that runs off the main compressor and massive oil storage thing. I didn't know these guns had a trigger lock on them AND that the little nut at the end that unscrews a few turns that locks the end, ACTUALLY comes off if screwed too far.

Now, whats happened is the end nut has come off inside the rocker cover...at this point i've sh!t myself cause only been on work experience at that stage thought i was screwed. I've taken my hand off the trigger and pulled the gun out. The oil didn't stop...About 4L later and a nice freshly lubed engine bay i've managed to stop it.

The tech teaching me almost goes arse up on the small lake of oil now sitting on the floor and the other mechanics come to investivage.

Soon all of them are taking it in turns to slide past the car being smart arses.

God i love degreaser and high pressure cleaners 8)

Recommended Traders: Datsport

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:31 pm 

Hahahahahah.. i actually laughed out loud at that. My neighbours already think I'm crazy dammit.

Dave

AUS Project: 1972 1600, 3200km old S15 SR20DET, ground up rebuild. SOLD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:09 pm 

Ok guys,
ive got a good one but it wasnt me who did this crime..
Ive got a mate who wasnt very knowlegable on cars.
He earned his P plates and came time to buy his first car, this being a trusty brown VC commodore station wagon complete with 253 and trimatic.
One day he decided to do a oil and filters change.
Not knowing where the sump plug was located,he then asked me for help, i answered with ''its on the bottom of the sump''.
He then said ''it aint there''.
I then said ''look under all that oil and road grime''.
A few minutes later he said that he found it.
While this was happening i was readind a street machine magozine :oops:
(i was bored).
(He's looking at the oil pump and undoes it)
A few seconds later he pops out and says,''there aint much oil in the motor'' and shows me the oil tray.
''that cant be right, give me a look'' says Dan.
I look under the wagon to find the sump plug still in, ''Sump plug is still in''
I say but he no belives me.
I then grab a screw driver and scrape all the crap on the bottom of his sump to reveil the sump plug.
My mate has cleverly undune the nut for the oil pump and removed the guts outta it.
After tryin to fix it without sucsess he rang the old owner of the car to help him fix it.
I must admit that it was the most funnyest oil changes that ive ever seen.

Sorry if parts of it didnt make any sense, i just thought that id share this story with you all, considering im still laughing about it 2 years on.

Dan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:42 am 

Quote:
springs and washers roll out and drop through the immovable steel grill of the long drain

DattoPimp:

Aww comon Neil...Nothings "immovable" thats just the pesimist inside you talking
Ok, you got me there :lol: a bit of 'poetic' licence. I couldn't move the grill with my hands, anyway..... but it was a better ending. It would take more than that to foil me, I'm a stubborn bastard ... ask anyone who knows me. I'll spend an hour looking for that washer/nut that I dropped in the engine bay (and never made it to the floor!), rather than find another one! :)

Hey green 510 :lol: don't apologise ... removing the guts from an oil pump by mistake qualifies in my book! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:45 pm 

Ok, latest confession.

How tight are the flyhwheel bolts meant to be? Cause in my latest venture to get the flywheel off the bluebird sitting in the shed so it can be lightned and balanced for the 200B...here is the result...

Me thinks this is not right! But I stole one of dads sockets and made it all better. Nothing sounds as sweet as that bolt tighter then a nuns *cough* releasing that nice 'crack' sound as you break its seal :D
Quote:
I'm a stubborn bastard
Nothing wrong with that neil! How do you think i got those damn flywheel bolts off? The crank pulley bolt actually came out before they did...I know because i had a huge spanner locking the crank pulley bolt against the body to 'stop' the motor from turning.
G Clamps are the 2nd best invention in the world. They'll hold any flywheel to that metal gasket thing between the gearbox and motor :D

Attachments:
File comment: Flywheel Bolt 1: 19mm Socket 0
[ attachment ]
DSCF0188.JPG [ 112.04 KiB | Viewed 5033 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:01 pm 

just had a similar accident trying to tighten the rear nut on the lower control arms, as they are tight as ****, yeh the arms stil seem to have a bit of movement in them, so i bought some cheapo spanners from the swapmeet last weekend, $10 for 22mm-> equivalent in imperial (i'm 17), as i didnt have any 22mm spanners, only sockets, and cant get the socket on to it now its in the car, anyway as you can see, a few taps with a rubber mallet and you get what you pay for!

The 1600

Recommended traders: Nissanman, pro240c, 2door510, Datsport, mkyle, Green510, Um_510, jdmdatsun510, Ludachris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:52 pm 

If i've learnt one thing about tools. Their deffiently something where you get what you pay for. As my mate stirling says...

"pay peanuts, get monkeys"

Save up and get yourself a nice set of tools. You'll love yourself forever after that :D Doesn't have to be a mega expensive set, just not chinese crap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:54 pm 

When I was young and foolish, I went out and bought a set of cheap-arse spanners, sockets and other tools. As I got older and still just as foolish, and these tools broke, I made it a practice to replace the crap with good. :wink:

Eventually you wind up with a good set of tools, as well as a number of tools you can sacrifice to the Gods of motoring when needed. :D

Cheers,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:59 pm 

thought I would be a good car owner and service the car

bought all the fluids, plugs, leads, bushes etc

last job was topping up the steering box fluid as it was a bit low.

undoing the plastic filler bolt...thread strips off. great.
rummaged around and found a bolt with the same thread size, so I cut it down and tightened it up and that was that.

two weeks later, looked under the bonnet and screamed...I didnt realise that the factory plastic bolt had a tiny hole in it to vent the steering fluid when it gets hot...the fluid had leaked out of the steering box through pressure and sprayed all over the RHS inner guard and chassis rails and took all the paint off with it. :x

Ended up with a Rotor powered Mazda 1300

Still want a Stanza though...

Parts car in the driveway, RX-4 (clone) station wagon in the carport, crashed 1300 in the street.
My missus can't understand why I want another car??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:54 pm 

Location: Darwin. Home of the Rice Car ShitHeap Lancer/Excel and really gay numberplates.
I just went out and bought a set of Sidchrome spanners/sockets in a red case. All the right metric stuff you need, wif small breaker bar.
For 200bux, you cant go wrong. Hit repco up for 22mm socket for the HB and its sweet. That pick of the busted socket reminds me of the time I destroyed 3 of dads Snap-On sockets by using em on the rattle gun wif a 3 hp compressor!!!!

Im still up here in Darwin. Drove a 300SEL all the way up here with half a worked z18et strewn between the boot (box of electrical crap, dizzys coils) front passenger seat (ported cylinder head, to offset the weight from my fat arse) and rear pasenger seat (turbo, manifolds, intake etc..) Was a very interesting drive indeed. Pissed it up every joint that i stopped at.
Shoulda stopped over at Baz's Datsport.....but was behind time

The old benzes are geared weird. 100kmh asks for 3000rpm....so you can imagine what cruising for hrs at a time at 200kmh calls for.....5750rpm anybody??

anyways, got here, did a basic service, and....you guessed it..for the billionth time forgot the sump plug when filing up with new oil

C*NT!

so i decides to use the old Redex fuel system cleaner while Im at it...you know the one where you pull out your spark plugs, squirt 50mls of red oooze into your cylinders in an effort to break up the burnt oil off you intake valves etc........any way....if you plan on doing so....do it at night.....

I couldnt see 6 feet behind me, with the amount of smoke pluming form the exhaust....other drivers cursing and spluttering all sorts of anti-mexican derogatory comments....jeezus!

New site looks groovy by the way. Nice work JamesF and co-conspirators!

Aaron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:44 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Well, after Datnats I think I must be a datsun-aholic.

For the last 4 years or so I haven't had a Datsun to drive, and I wasn't really missing them. Then just one trip to Datnats and I've been hooked again.

I've been attacking the 180B SSS project in the shed a few nights this week with renewed vigour, then this weekend I BOUGHT ANOTHER 1600 :shock:. The initial intention was to use it for spares as its pretty rusty, but every time I walk past it I think of the orange 1600 track car at the nats.

Now I look at the new beast not so much as having no dash, but as being half way to a custom instrument panel. The bad rust isn't a problem, simply an opportunity to build in a bit of extra strength to the body.

Yep, definitely hooked.

1965 SP310 Fairlady
1966 SP311 Fairlady

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:49 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Ohh, and a bit of marital advice.

If you arrange to have a look at a 1600 on a Saturday morning, then tell the wife that you are going to LOOK, then change your mind and agree to buy it before looking at it, then arrange a tow truck to meet you when looking at it on the afore-mentioned Saturday morning,

MAKE SURE YOU BEAT THE TOW TRUCK DRIVER HOME :oops:

1965 SP310 Fairlady
1966 SP311 Fairlady

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:00 pm 

Dave wrote:
Ohh, and a bit of marital advice.

MAKE SURE YOU BEAT THE TOW TRUCK DRIVER HOME :oops:
hahaha We didn't sleep on the lounge last night did we Dave?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:12 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Actually, she was pretty good about it once the shock wore off. I guess the sight of a rusty 1600 on the back of a tow truck reversing up our driveway wasn't what she was expecting at 9:30 on a Saturday morning.

1965 SP310 Fairlady
1966 SP311 Fairlady

Post subject: f#*@en auto elec's
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:20 am 

i was working in this mechanics for a while and one day doing some bludgen i heard a big loud bang so i goes walken outside to invetisgate and here this (no name brand fairlane) sitting on an angle on a trolley jack it turns out whilst jacking the car up it sliped off the crossmember and softly landed on the sump now none of the boys were very mechanicly minded so they let it down to see if it ran fine now after a bit of advice and abuse they thought it was going to be fine so they kicked it over and to amazed that the crank was smashing the sh#t out of the oil pick up and sump now these boys had decided to fix it without telling the customer, so they decided to pull the sump off to knock out where it was dented and soon realised that they would have to pull out the motor to do so. they then decided to cut the crossmember to drop the sump off which they couldn't see anything wrong with doing (it was only a customers car she be right) they did end up fixing the sump up with a knockometer rewelding the crossmember with about 10 minutes to spare as i say again GOD DAMN AUTO ELEC'S