Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:50 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Re: Bobs S12
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:31 am 

Yeah - I recon the core is heeappps big enough, so airflow though it isn't my major concern. I will be putting a thermo on the back of the radiator, I -might- have enough room between the cooler and the radiator for one in between, and almost certainly room for one on the front of the cooler. For the moment I will stick one on the rear of the radiator and see how things go, have to get a few other little jobs knocked over first though like an exhaust.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:51 pm 

Well, we had a massively productive day today.

Bob welded up the exhaust to its flange that goes to the dump and joined it up to the rest of the exhaust. I made up some brackets to hold in the relocated power steering resevior as well as the air flow meter. Bob also welded up the connector from the turbo outlet to the wastegate. And then it was time for the maiden voyage...

Bob took it pretty easy to the servo, where he got a tankful of 98 octane. After that, he gave it a bit of a bootful. The ball-bearing t28 spools up RIDICULOUSLY fast. And with no bov, the wastegate chirps a little. But overall, it all = teh win.

There is probably a bit of improvement to be had - there is a bit of hesitation/misfire at WOT. But then, the base timing hasn't been set, and the crank angle sensor was adjusted all the way to one side. The injector connector pins are pretty corroded and the plugs are all cracked, so one or more of those things could be holding it back. But it starts and runs and drives.

So I can say with some confidence wo0t111!!!!111oneone

Attachments:
File comment: Yes, those are zip ties holding the radiator in. Which is mega super ultra awesome.
[ attachment ]
=teh_awesome.jpg [ 17.95 KiB | Viewed 1641 times ]
File comment: The induction setup is all pretty neat.
[ attachment ]
=teh_awesome2.jpg [ 26.56 KiB | Viewed 1641 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:42 pm 
Site Admin

Fark yes!
You guys must be stoked!? :D

http://www.lescollinsracing.com/

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:00 pm 

Yeah - I am pretty happy. There is some improvement to be made, but I think there are bunch of easy little things that I think will make a good improvement. There is a bit of a hesitation when it comes on boost that has to be looked at. I will stick the o2 sensor on there and see what happens.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:12 pm 

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

13B N/A powered 1600 racecar build (Built, not bought) http://www.ozdat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=12316

Munch Munch, L series pistons for lunch

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:24 pm 

If you are in the area tomorrow swing by Jason.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:31 pm 

Being that i'm about 2km away as the crow flies, I'll do that.

Have to go out to mates place and finish cutting radiator support etc off one of his spare shells.

Thread hijack finished, cant wait to hear it running :thumbsup:

13B N/A powered 1600 racecar build (Built, not bought) http://www.ozdat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=12316

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:49 pm 

thats awesome Bob! congrats on gettin the beast goin! :thumbsup:

1978 Stanza, undergoing track spec build.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:04 am 

Bloody well done boys :thumbsup:

1 tip I can give with regard to the misfiring is look at your earths as well as those corroded injector pins. The coilpack earths espeically were a problem on mine so I ran seperate wires from each pack back to the chassis and beefed up the main earth. Also make sure you don't combine those 2 earths on the plenum chamber. There are 2 there for a reason. You can get a earth feedback loop where 1 component earths through another = fried AVC-R :doh:

[ img ] [ img ] [ img ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:10 am 

If there is one thing Bob is particularly talented at, it is forgetting to re-attach earth straps. So that will be one to check. But my bet is still on timing, and injector/IACV plugs and pins.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:50 pm 

Thanks guys. I am pretty confident that by fixing up a bunch of little things (timing, clean up plugs, etc etc) I can get it running 100%. For the moment I am just pleased that it runs!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:09 am 

So, the radiator plumbing has been fixed up, courtesy of a new adaptor plate and thermo housing/outlet, and the thermo fan has been fitted - I'm sure Bob will post up pics in due course.

Anyhow, with Bob having adjusted the timing, I took the thing for a short strap around some local roads and JEEEESUS - pretty happy with it. Dunno if it was just the freezing canberra winter, but the turbo comes on straight away, doesn't even feel like a turbo motor, just feels like a larger capacity motor. Its really responsive and builds boost nice and progressively. I was a bit reluctant to rev the t1ts off it given the tacho isn't hooked up but can't wait to see what it does near the redline.

Will also be interesting to see how it goes once the motor is run in, some thinner oil and a couple extra PSI.

Although the motor really exposes the other shortcomings of an OEM gazelle - you have to kind of be careful off the line to not light up the tires, and the suspension is a bit rolly. So I suppose next priority is to get some stiffer springs and bigger rubber under there.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:37 am 

which like any car, will then be larger brakes, better diff, which in turn will leave you wanting for more power, which will be ECU retune and so on :)

not many gazelles are converted like this, but i would've thought there'd be so many like this, seeing how relatively easy a conversion is

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:07 pm 

I Like Drift wrote:
which like any car, will then be larger brakes, better diff, which in turn will leave you wanting for more power, which will be ECU retune and so on :)
Well, given that Bob has a spare CA18det long motor and the one in the s12 is already running a t28, I'd say more power is a given. And he already has an r200 waiting to go in.

Just don't ask Bob about the stub axle flanges for the r200...

[ducks and runs for cover]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:40 pm 

Bob:

Whats the story on the stub axle flanges for the R200 :inconspicuous: