Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:55 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:39 pm 

Hey Scott. Great to see you joined the QPDC. Nice Pics on the website. Looking forward to catching up at the next get together.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:59 pm 

Well Well Well...............I don't believe it. My Datsun 200B SX is finally finished at the shop. It has undergone some extensive work to get it too this point but I have to say all in all I am very happy with the outcome. I think I paid a little too much but thems the breaks.

Today saw the car on the dyno and also tuned. The engine is of course the old skool L20B. As you can see by my previous posts I have taken it from a twin SU setup to a fuel injected beast. It is running Haltech all the way with an E8 fuel spark ECU, running a heavy coil pack and so forth. We were aiming to get 30PSI out of this L20B and it will go there trust me. Since I have had the car and for quite some years before hand saw the car with a fresh build. The car had been sitting for 6 years untouched.

Straight up with no problem at all I have it running at 17PSI making 160Kws at the rears. Pretty respectable and a nice streeter to boot. Over the next couple of weeks as I get to use the car more I will wind in some more boost and keep you guys updated as to the progress. I have attached a copy of the dyno sheet so you can have a look for yourselves.

Like I said to me 17PSI isn't that great but there is certainly something freakish about the motor. To control the boost I am running a TurboSmart E-Boost in car controller that in my opinion is the best money spent. I have rev limited the engine to 6800RPM as it starts to drop off around 7200RPM.

I will post some more pics of the engine bay as soon as I get some time to clean some of the old grime and make it a little more respectable.

Anyway guys........have a look at the dyno sheet and i would be keen for any comments and or suggestions that you have.

Drive hard & slide sideways

Nisbo.

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
scan0001.jpg [ 49.71 KiB | Viewed 1496 times ]
[ attachment ]
scan0002.jpg [ 43.93 KiB | Viewed 1496 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:51 pm 

going by that dyno sheet, there looks to be plenty more left in the power producing side of things,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:07 pm 
what the F word? Is that 159kw out of an L20B? Yr a datto demon... That's more than my mates SR20 puts out...

PS.... WTF?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:05 pm 

Hey HeftyDatsun,

Yeah mate that is an honest dyno sheet from yesterday. the best bit is there is still plenty more to come. The engine had been rebuilt years ago but it has been sitting for the last 6 years untouched. So i had it tuned up only for 17PSI. I plan to push it up to 25 to 30 as I believe I can get it there no problems. I had a run with a skyline yesterday and was happy with the result. I left him behind me and he was scratching his head................he he he.......there is something so right with blowing away a nice modern car.

and thank you for your kind words.

Nisbo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:50 am 

I wouldn't post any pics of yr engine dude. Youve obviously got something in there that we all want :) Great work, i look forward to hearing the results of the extra 13psi :)
Also... at what Revs did you get 159kw?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:27 am 

Riley,

ha ha ha ha......mate there is no secret and I am always happy to share knowledge. The car is making 159kws @ 8000 rpm. The best misconsieved notion that you have to fully bomb a motor to get the most of of it. Well I am here to tell you that is incorrect. The fact is there is a point where you can go to far, do too much work to the engine. People have this habit of making monster ports on their heads. anyway I am not going to ramble on about it. All I am saying is take the time when you build an engine. Do your calculations of what you want out of your engine and most importantly take your time with the build.

Later on this year I would like to see if I can take the record for an L series motor producing the most power. My aim might be a little high you might say...but what the hell. I will give it a go.

Nisbo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:40 pm 

The most i've seen is 350hp. It was in a really old (like 80's or early 90's) 4's & Rotary magazine... so i can not verify it... As`for calculations i wouldn't know where to start...
Definately give yr challange a go but, what have u got to loose?

Post subject: Re: A Classic 200B
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:34 am 

Hey Guys,

I haven't posted here for a bit cause I have been quite busy. The below is the specs of the car as it is now. I am in the middle of building a CA18DET. After the build I am hoping to get 400 to the rear.

RIDE FACTS Datsun 200B SX

Year model 1979

PERFORMANCE: Fuel injected / Turboed L20B
250RWHP @ 20PSI
1/4 MILE n/a
?? @ ??MPH n/a

UNDER THE BONNET

ENGINE: L20B turbo, 20PSI boost modified TO3/4 turbo
INTERNALS: ARIAS PISTONS, forged rods, balanced bottom end heavily decompressed

HEADS: ported head, large inlet and exhaust valves, heavy springs, turbo grind cam
INDUCTION: L18 EFI Manfifold / Volvo 440cc hose/tail injectors, custom PWR intercooler
EXHAUST: 2.5 inch with front and rear resonators
ENGINE MANAGEMENT & IGNITION: electronic dizzy with Haltech E8 and ignitor
FUEL SYSTEM: twin bosch 044 one for prime tank one for main feed
EXTRA: Turbo Smart Eboost2 EBC, Turbo Smart Blowoff Vavle

DRIVELINE

GEARBOX: 240K 5 speed (just about knackered)
CLUTCH: Custom built tripple plate 2000lbs
DIFF: r200 LSD

SUSPENSION AND BRAKES

BRAKES: (f)Audi 280mm vented / slotted, RX 7 calipers,(r)r31 disc
STRUTS: 200B modified
SPRINGS: (f)kings (r)kings
SHOCKS: (f)Pedders Sports Riders (r)Pedders Sports Riders
nolothane bushes, 26mm front swaybar

WHEELS & TYRES: 15 inch alloys (thanks Pete)
15" Yokohama "S Drive" 205x40x15

(f)15" 205x40x15 (r)15" 205x40x15

INTERIOR: Standard SX, Black seats with the red white and blue stripes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:44 pm 

:D im new to ozdat but just seen your 200b sx. do you still have it ? i have an sx too same as yours :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:55 pm 

200b sx wrote:
:D im new to ozdat but just seen your 200b sx. do you still have it ? i have an sx too same as yours :thumbsup:
hey 200B Sx, Yeah mate I have my 200B still. I am in the middle of building a more modern motor (CA18DET), so the L20B isn't going to stay in there too long. Do you have any pictures of your 200B and the specs on it. How long have you had it and are you sure it was dealer turboed?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:24 pm 

Hey mate i have had mine for about 7 years :lol: . i will get some photos on here soon its going through a re build at present ,(soft head blew the gasket)so i found another head and it is going to get ported and all that . its an L20 with the block 40 thou over bore and shaved, flat top pistons with chrome olly rings ,( head is still in the making) :impatient: . twin su with bigger troats,pacemaker extractors, lightened flywheel,trx 5 speed box ,heavy duty clutch. Its got a series 3 trx bluebird rear axle so discs all way round (pulls up good) :lol: . interior is the standard striped seats but in good nic. Will show all when i get some photos happening.the body has had a re spray back to the origanal blue (paint was faded) mine was in not that good of nic when i got it , but all the bits where there :D I love the way the front spoiler and grill looks on the sx .Does Yours have the metal lovered front grill?alot dont neither the front spolier there hard to find.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:02 pm 

Quote:
ENGINE MANAGEMENT & IGNITION: electronic dizzy with Haltech E8 and ignitor
Just wondering how you went about using a fuel and ignition ecu on yr L20B? I'd like to but have no idea how to hook up the ignition side of things. Any help much appreciato.... :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:58 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Hey Scott. Would you mind having a look at your dash and telling me what colour the stripe down the middle is? My SX came with a black stripe on the glove box and a white stripe on the destroyed dash facia. I found a very rusty 200B SX at a wrecker and grabbed the mint dash. It has a white stripe so I'm thinking the glove box isn't original.

The fleet:

Australia:
'80 200B GX - the green200b - hibernating
'81 RX-7 - 12A extend port - daily
'74 RX-2 - 13B bridgeport - cruiser

Europe:
'93 200SX - CA18DET - tourer
Dato200B wrote:
Green200B has forgotten more about 200Bs than we will ever know.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:36 am 

green200b wrote:
Hey Scott. Would you mind having a look at your dash and telling me what colour the stripe down the middle is? My SX came with a black stripe on the glove box and a white stripe on the destroyed dash facia. I found a very rusty 200B SX at a wrecker and grabbed the mint dash. It has a white stripe so I'm thinking the glove box isn't original.
Hey Green200b,

Yeah sure, I will have a look for you a little later on today. Just got in the door from visiting a client in Port Lincoln SA. i will have a look later and make another post.

cheers