Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:39 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: seat conversion
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:46 pm 

anyone converted stock seats out of any other car for your datto

im lookin at doin gen2 swift gti seats in my 200B

had a gen2 and theyre really tight and seem to fit me well

any ideas on this? any experience?

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 6:51 pm 

Im putting those in my 1600 to replace the rock hard sparco evo race seats i got in it ATM

You will need to keep the swift slides as they are attatched to the back adjustment lever and you need them both to work, so that counts out using the 1600 slides and mounting swift the frame to that

Im thinking of mounting them to the front support for seats and coming up with a stronger than factory triangle style rear mount

You will need to do alot of trial measuring and block it up until you get your desired height then suss what has to be done to the mounts to make it work

Over engineering seat mounts is the only way to go, the last thing you want is to hit the brakes and find you and your seats up against the dash

What condition are the ones you got like? Mine are covered in ciggy burns and a few rips, but ill be covering them in leather and repadding it when its all mounted so i guess it wont matter

Simon

Post subject: Re: seat conversion
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:28 pm 

Ive put 260z seats in my 1200 :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:51 am 

ive got familiar seats in my 180b, sit a lil low, but extra head room is always nice

S2 TRX: SuckThru Turbo: RETIRED
MR30 Hatch: Daily Driver: SOLD
720 King Cab: Daily Driver V2: SOLD

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:58 pm 

I have skyline seats in my 1600. Just removed the sliders off the standard 1600 seats and used them on the new seats. Only took about 30mins to do actually, but I had help.

YES IM A CHICK

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:28 pm 

I did a search and couldn't find it. And am asking this to help out other conversionists.

But i remember reading ages ago that there might have been some flat seat runners to replace the 1600 ones that tend to wear out after 38+ years. Does anyone have any options to replace them? read a post about a KA or KC laser runners, Godzilidat posted it ages ago.

I'm sure many people have done seat conversions before (you basically have to on a 1600), i did on mine, but used some which i didn't know what car they came off when putting RX7 seats in.

Trying to help out other members, Basically the best thing would be for them to be as flat as possible. To bolt onto a seat frame (which can be made to fit etc etc), and the flat floor brackets on the car.

Has anyone found any?

Previous Car: Restored Green 1972 Datsun 510, Hot L18

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:28 pm 

Kinda hard to follow that last post but I used WRX seats in my 1600. I used the original rails and just welded two pieces of flat steel across them. I then drilled two holes in the new steel and bolted the WRX seats to this. Fairly easy and painless and looks great and is very strong.
I will also aim to strengthen the car side of things by having steel under the car on the other side of the rail bolts and possibly under the upright front mounts on the car.

I will try and find some pics if people want

cheers

James

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:39 pm 

I all installed WRX seats into my 180B. I just used original 180B rails removed original seats, and used square steel tube as the bolts on the bottom of the WRX seat are a little longer and wider worked out perfect after fiddling around with all the measurements!!! :thumbsup:

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:34 pm 

Looks good mate,

What I was getting at, i know how to fit seats, the RX-7's were a nightmare, after doing them i could do any. But you look to be using the original 180b sliders on the floor brackets, before bolting them onto the frame you made for the seat... right? Because you obviously didnt use the WRX sliders, because they're a lot different to that.

What i want to ask is if anyone out there has found a car with easily adaptable sliders.
What other slider's could be used? ie. most modern sliders are really rounded. or have tabs on the insides of them that prohibit the use of some home manufactured seat frames etc, the Datsun ones seem to be flat to allow the chosen seat to adapt easier to the frame and sliders and for the seat to slide on them better.

Is there another car with similar sliders for seats.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:49 pm 

MickC. I did exactly as you did, but being the semi tall mofo that i am found the seat was too high afterwards. I'd rather try and not lift it up any higher. However, WRX seats are nice so i might look into this.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:34 am 

RJB510 wrote:
You could try LX Torana runners, they just have a flat slider, the mounts going to the floor are two flat steel plates coming out the bottom on each end, they go down for roughly 70-80mm before bending on a right angle flush to the floor. Would be very easy to fit them to almost any seat; IIRC there's enough space in the channel in the upper slide/runner to have a bolt head without hitting the runner itself - so you can drill it and put a bolt in anywhere along the slide to suit your seat. The floor mounts could very easily be cut and shut to suit your needs, even better you could very easily cut them and make up new bases for your car out of thicker/stronger steels.

'63 Holden EH
'02 Grand Vitara
'91 EB Falcon
'91 EA Falcon S
'86 Range Rover
'98 Pulsar
'95 ZZR1100

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:43 am 

Thats more what i was getting at with the thread.

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:18 pm 

mickc wrote:

[ img ]
i used to do quite a lot of these wher i used to work but we generally used aftermarket recaro sliders but were $$$

mickc

that is basically the way to do it.

i would however suggest rather using RHS with a wall thickness of about 1mm which has been cut and shut, to use some 40x3 mm flat steel. just will be a bit stronger, if you need to space it up to get the slide release mechanism to work just use spacers.

the rhs which has been cut away, allow the bolts to pull through in a high impact accident. 3mm it thicker, spreads the load and stretches and denatures with the impact

also use washers everywhere.

^^ this is especially necessary if your seatbelt buckle is connected to the seat but not as serious if buckle is too floor as the seat AND you will be restrained rather than you restrained to a flying seat.

saying that my recaro was done when i started to learn to weld, so the welds look like parrot $hit painted black

just thought i'd give my 2c - take it or leave it, but good job anyway :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:16 am 

hey, i fitted swift gti seats in my 1600, pretty easy to do

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:31 am 

RJB510 wrote:
Looks good mate,

What I was getting at, i know how to fit seats, the RX-7's were a nightmare, after doing them i could do any. But you look to be using the original 180b sliders on the floor brackets, before bolting them onto the frame you made for the seat... right? Because you obviously didnt use the WRX sliders, because they're a lot different to that.

What i want to ask is if anyone out there has found a car with easily adaptable sliders.
What other slider's could be used? ie. most modern sliders are really rounded. or have tabs on the insides of them that prohibit the use of some home manufactured seat frames etc, the Datsun ones seem to be flat to allow the chosen seat to adapt easier to the frame and sliders and for the seat to slide on them better.

Have a look at a few utes. Ive been looking for a set of sliders for my 720, and have found that many early hilux/rodeos have almost flat mounts.