Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:35 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Z31 5 stud hubs
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 11:09 am 

Guys
I was wondering if anyone had fitted these to their 1600 on r31 struts?

I am tossing up between the s12 hubs or z31 hubs used with r33 GTST 296mmx3omm rotors.

Primarily I am after info on what work needs to be done to rotor to fit, issues with track and clearance, if new wheels studs are needed and what size rim is best to use with these.

any help would be great

cheers

James

Post subject: Re: Z31 5 stud hubs
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 11:27 am 

yeah that should fit.

with fitting the r33 rotors. the centre hole which is 68mm stnadard needs to be machined out to 73 for it to slide over the back of the hub. the rotor then needs to be drilled so that the 4 bolts go thru the rotor and bolt to the hub.
check my hub dimensions thread :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:48 pm 

weird

I checked DBA and it has the centre hole opening on a z31 as 68mm for all types.

cheers

James

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 7:33 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

jimmmy wrote:
Guys

I am tossing up between the s12 hubs or z31 hubs used with r33 GTST 296mmx3omm rotors.

Primarily I am after info on what work needs to be done to rotor to fit, Z31 hubs you bolt the rotor on the rear and the centre needs to be opened up to 81mm dia, then 5 x 10.4mm hub bolt holes drilled into the rotor at 103mm dia.

issues with track and clearance, possibly with some rims on the calipers.

if new wheels studs are needed No. Unless you will be using spacers in the future.

and what size rim is best to use with these. 15" or larger. I'm using 16" gtst rims which fit perfect with 205's and no guard lipping.

any help would be great I used Datsport caliper adaptors for the R31 struts and needed a washer to centre the r32 caliper over gtst rotors.

cheers

James

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:01 pm 

yeah..... i mean what he said :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:49 pm 

256fqq wrote:
yeah..... i mean what he said :mrgreen:
hmmmmm

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:51 pm 

nick wrote:
jimmmy wrote:
Guys

Primarily I am after info on what work needs to be done to rotor to fit, Z31 hubs you bolt the rotor on the rear and the centre needs to be opened up to 81mm dia, then 5 x 10.4mm hub bolt holes drilled into the rotor at 103mm dia.

issues with track and clearance, possibly with some rims on the calipers.

if new wheels studs are needed No. Unless you will be using spacers in the future.

and what size rim is best to use with these. 15" or larger. I'm using 16" gtst rims which fit perfect with 205's and no guard lipping.

any help would be great I used Datsport caliper adaptors for the R31 struts and needed a washer to centre the r32 caliper over gtst rotors.
Great

Well I am using the datsport caliper brackets so that is good news. Was a little worried about the caliper over rotor with the different setup.

So the skyline rims fit up ok and look good under the guards without any spacers etc?

So essentially the centre needs to be opened up and four new holes drilled? The five holes already on the rotor (r33) will fit the wheel and hub fine?

cheers

James

cheers

James

Last edited by jimmmy on Sat May 31, 2008 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 10:06 pm 

i thought u were trying to achieve a 5 stud hub...87 onwards 5 stud hub should go on...what about the rear tho :?:
stick with 31 struts and s12 hub (4 stud)...very popular combo
i'm now going down this path away from what i thought i had was shortned 240k stuff.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 12:11 pm 

256fqq wrote:
i thought u were trying to achieve a 5 stud hub...87 onwards 5 stud hub should go on...what about the rear tho :?:
stick with 31 struts and s12 hub (4 stud)...very popular combo
i'm now going down this path away from what i thought i had was shortned 240k stuff.
I might be missing something here but do the 5 holes on the rotor (114.3) not match up to the holes on the r33 rotor? I though it was the same PCD.

What are the FOUR new holes for that I have to drill on the rotor?

I will just grab z31 rear hubs. They just bolt straight onto the 1600 or so I have been told. Could be wrong.

well initially I did not want to drill new holes in a 5 hole rotor. Engineers and rego don't seem to like that. However Baz uses those plates which cover up the holes and add some strength so should take care of that problem.

I guess the other issues is getting some nice 4 stud wheels which seems harder, much harder than 5 stud. Unless you are willing to pay 2k for custom ones from the UK etc.

$300 seem like a lot for rebuilt z31 hubs?

cheers

James

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:08 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

The R33 rotors originally slip over the wheel studs on the outside of the hubs.

When used on S12 hubs (not sure about Z31), they are normally bolted onto the inside or backside of the hub - ie between the hub and the strut as per 1600 / 240K / etc hubs and rotors. The bolt pattern on the rotors is 5 x 114.3 (same as skyline wheels), but the required bolt pattern for S12 hubs is 4 x xyz (not sure as I haven't measured it up exactly yet). Basically, you need to modify the rotor to bolt onto the rear of the hub, rather than slip over the wheels studs on the front of the hub.

This is all dependant on how you plan to attach the callipers to the strut of course. I'm using Datsport calliper adapters on R31 struts and S12 hubs, which requires the rotor to be on the rear face of the hub. On the other hand, Jeff (SX-510) from memory uses them in "slip on front of hub" mode so would require no mods to rotor, but I think he used a custom-made adapter for the calliper.

"Spandex" currently has a group buy happening for the correct rotors to use with S12 hubs (they have the correct bolt pattern in originally undrilled rotors, rather than redrilled ones).

1965 SP310 Fairlady
1966 SP311 Fairlady

Last edited by Dave on Sat May 31, 2008 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:18 pm 

Dave wrote:
The R33 rotors originally slip over the wheel studs on the outside of the hubs.

When used on S12 hubs (not sure about Z31), they are normally bolted onto the inside or backside of the hub - ie between the hub and the strut as per 1600 / 240K / etc hubs and rotors. The bolt pattern on the rotors is 5 x 114.3 (same as skyline wheels), but the required bolt pattern for S12 hubs is 4 x xyz (not sure as I haven't measured it up exactly yet). Basically, you need to modify the rotor to bolt onto the rear of the hub, rather than slip over the wheels studs on the front of the hub.

This is all dependant on how you plan to attach the callipers to the strut of course. I'm using Datsport calliper adapters on R31 struts and S12 hubs, which requires the rotor to be on the rear face of the hub. On the other hand, Jeff (SX-510) from memory uses them in "slip on front of hub" mode so would require no mods to rotor.

"Spandex" currently has a group buy happening for the correct rotors to use with S12 hubs.
Hey mate

Yep happy with the s12 setup. IE redrilling to suit 4 x 114.3.

I am curious about what work if any is required to fit an r33 gtst rotor to the z31 5 stud hub. I am getting conflicting info on this.

I might ring Baz and ask him what he does. Have emailed but replies tend to take a long time, understandably.

I am not sure on Spandex' prices (weren't they 280mm rotors?) but the best I have seen so far are from a group buy happening on Skylines.

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums ... 00718.html

He is up about his 31st group buy(does one over every two week period). From memory slotted RDA r33 GTST (296mm) rotors were $260 including shipping.
He can pretty much get you any Nissan rotor you want.
He can also do greenstuff etc pads at very good prices.

cheers

James

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:45 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

jimmmy wrote:
Yep happy with the s12 setup. IE redrilling to suit 4 x 114.3.

I am curious about what work if any is required to fit an r33 gtst rotor to the z31 5 stud hub. I am getting conflicting info on this.
Fair enough - just FYI the bolt pattern isn't 4 x 114.3 to get them bolted onto S12 hubs, as the bolt pattern on the rear of the hub is different to the bolt pattern for the wheel studs on the front of the hub.

And yep, Spandex's group buy is for 280mm rotors, now that you mention it. Should have remembered that, as I'm getting a pair of them :roll:

Been having a look, and Jeff's does indeed slip over the front of the hub so the original holes in the rotor should be good to use. However, I don't think the Datsport calliper bracket would then be suitable, as it wouldn't centre the calliper over the rotor. Jeff's thread says he uses a home-made bracket, which I guess would be custom designed to suit his particular hub / rotor / calliper combo. This method may also potentially give less calliper-to-wheel clearance (ie more chance of calliper not clearing wheel) as it would mount the calliper further towards the outside of the car (and closer to the wheel spokes)

[ img ]

1965 SP310 Fairlady
1966 SP311 Fairlady

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 9:25 pm 
ok kids, here is the story. There is two types of Z31 5 stud front hub. The one I have mounts the rotor from the rear, the other type (SX-510's) mount it from the front.

They go straight onto to r31 struts.

The rears are NOT a direct exchange deal. The shaft is 35mm at the outer end meaning different bearings need to be sourced.

I know this all for a fact as I have done this work for my never ending story 510 rebuild.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 9:57 pm 

r30Rally wrote:
ok kids, here is the story. There is two types of Z31 5 stud front hub. The one I have mounts the rotor from the rear, the other type (SX-510's) mount it from the front.

They go straight onto to r31 struts.

The rears are NOT a direct exchange deal. The shaft is 35mm at the outer end meaning different bearings need to be sourced.

I know this all for a fact as I have done this work for my never ending story 510 rebuild.
Ben

I was hoping you or Jeff would chime in.

You have the pentagonla/five sided hubs right?

So your bolts to the rotor like the s13 hub would?

Did the rotor need to be machined in anyway?

If so how/what?

How did you go with wheels? What sort of track issues did you encounter?

I remembering you saying something about the bearings earlier. From what you said did not seem like a big deal.

thanx for the input

ps I am still waiting a reply to my inquiry about your rear hubs.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 11:56 pm 
Jimmy, The first pic shows what hubs I have. To fit the rotors I had the centre bored out and the necessary bolt holes drilled. Not sure on specs as I gave the hubs and rotors to someone and it cost $50 - $70 and included the appropriate screws + washers etc.

I'm am using r32 GTS-T rims. I have to use a 4mm slip on spacer and have now installed longer wheel studs to suit (thankfully the sky is yet to fall in but I live in fear everyday). If I went with 195 instead of 205 I could probably get away with no spacer. Check my thread on datfusion for pics of hows it looks.

For the rears the bearing themselves are not a huge issue but the fabrication of the bearing spacer for the tapered shaft wasn't that simple.

In relation to your PM I have decided to keep them for now, my apologies for not getting back to you.

[ img ]

Now while we are talking all things 5 stud & brakes I believe I have finally worked out how to have an internal drum handbrake with the Z32 brakes on the rear. The pics below show a factory nissan backing plate with the internal drum setup which has essentially bolted straight up to a 240k arm. The 240k arm has the advantage of the larger outer bearing by default.

It currently is only mocked up but it appears it will work :wink:

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]