Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:45 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:37 am 

Hi all, Im Min from the Uk and this is my 81 B310 project car.

I had been toying with the idea of an engine swap for my 310 since I got it. Initially I wanted to build a period styled car with a 1.5 a series engine running webers. The price and availability of a 5 speed box is just ridiculous and getting a good engine built and setup would probably run into a few thousand pounds when finished and still only produce 150ish bhp. By a freaky twist of fate a mate of mine bought an Integra Type R and realising that his car was a bit cagey bodywise suggested he give it to me and we use the engine and box....

Take one perfectly reasonable FC3S with tax and ticket

[ img ]

Add a little Datsun 310 in the mix!

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

This all makes perfect sense to me, a lightweight revvy turbocharged 13b wrapped up in a retro stylee 310 would rock so thats what going to happen!! Its going in the garage this weekend so we can make a start on the tear down. I have never done a project this big before and its going to be a very steep learning curve for me but with all the car mad mates and facilities to hand I know it'l get done in time!

Updates might be slow but rest assured they will be coming from time to time. Get ready for a heavy ass retro rotary Datsun to see the light of day!

The general plan is s130 struts at the front, Hilux rear axle at the back, seam welding here and there.....the rest Il work out as I go along!

Anybody done (or know of anyone) that has actually done a 13b in a 310...I could sure use a few pointers

Heres my 310 that all this madness is gonna happen to!!!

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

Looking forward to your comments and ideas.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:14 am 

310 looks quite tidy. You're at an instant advantage body strength wise. The two door sedans are the strongest body configuration. You'll likely need a custom turbo manifold. The steering box gets in the way of the factory one. The 310's have quite a large engine bay, compared to the B110's. There's a bloke here in NZ who has a 13bt in a b110 sedan. So it's plenty do-able. I think the 310's have a bigger tunnel too. You may still have to do a bit of surgery to make the gearbox fit though. Those turbo rotaries have enormous gearboxes. You'll need to convert the clutch to hydraulic too. This isn't too difficult. There are two bolts which come through the fire wall just to the left of the brake booster, which hold the pedal box to the firewall . You need to grind one of the studs off, and holesaw a hole for the back of the clutch M/C to poke through Then redrill a new fixing bolt hole to suit where the other M/C hole is. Then stick a bolt through from the inside and tack weld the head to the pedal box. You then just have to mark the clutch pedal where the clevis pin hole need to be, and take out the pedal and drill it. (sorry if I'm rambling a bit.) Most of the rotary repowers I've seen just have reinforcing brackets welded to the chassis rails to accommadate the front engine Xmember.

NZ Datsun Club inc
www.nzdatsun.com

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:47 pm 

Rotaries fit pretty much in any car. Dont use the factory engine management 'cause its absolute shite. over here all the rotary guys run Microtech computers mainly because thats the market they have been produced for plus they are cheap and come pre-programmed so your engine will run straight away all you have to do is get it fined tuned.

Andrew

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:45 pm 

13bvw wrote:
Rotaries fit pretty much in any car. Dont use the factory engine management 'cause its absolute shite. Andrew
Really? A mate of mine scored a 13bt out of a S5 from japan, with a remapped ECU (done in japan) for his RX3 coupe. You saying it's not worth using that managment?

NZ Datsun Club inc
www.nzdatsun.com

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:42 pm 

I tried with the factory management with my other car then went microtech and now it makes more power and is more economical it is also a lot easier to wire up

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:59 pm 

This is really helpful information guys, a man in the know over here said that there are 4 wires that we reuse to get the engine running. At this stage this is more important for me as to start with Im trying to get the car going. I still have the front legs to get (280zx with a coilover conversion), rear Hilux axle,narrowed and bracketed and working, I have the bodywork to do.....lol the list goes on and on! Il have to look into the microtech management...can it be remapped each time you alter engine specs etc?

Does anyone know of anyone who has done a 310 13b swap on here?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:39 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Ah, good on you! I'm planning on putting a 12A into my 810! SHould be a lot of fun!

I see what you mean about building an engine for a lot of money and not getting a lot of power. I decided that this would be a similar case with my 200B, I could spend heaps building a nice L20B, or put a 12A in and get similar power and (in my opinion) a nicer noise!

Best of luck with it, I'll be watching work on this.

The fleet:

Australia:
'80 200B GX - the green200b - hibernating
'81 RX-7 - 12A extend port - daily
'74 RX-2 - 13B bridgeport - cruiser

Europe:
'93 200SX - CA18DET - tourer
Dato200B wrote:
Green200B has forgotten more about 200Bs than we will ever know.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:06 pm 

I have a 510 (1600) with NA 13B bridgeport, Weber 51IDA. Engine fits with heaps of space (could just about stand in the engine bay next to the motor!) but it needed a sledehammer to "tweak" the trans tunnel to fit the S5 turbo 5 speed box. I would have thought you will have the same issue. Mine makes just under 200hp at rear wheels. Stock 13B turbo would be similar I assume but probably much quieter and smoother to drive than mine (quite noisy and lumpy just off idle due to bridge porting).

Also need to make sure you have plenty of space for the exhaust as it has a huge impact on power output - complicated in a 510 due to flat floor and IRS. My motor should make 220+ hp but is strangled by the exhaust - cannot get it free flowing enough while keeping noise under control. As it is, it is right on th 95dBA limit now.

Have fun!

[ img ]
[ img ]

'02 Porsche 996 GT2 (600hp/480rw hp)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:54 am 

What's the deal with this conversion anyway? Any updates?

[ img ]
BM510 wrote:
I'm a driver.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:05 am 

Dude your 510 is sick sick sick!!!

Perhaps you can pm me with mounting ideas and pics if any?

Sorry for the lack of updates, right now with me starting a new job I am finding very little time to get in the garage. Dont expect a built to the hilt 310 this year because I know it aint gonna happen!

Il post as soon as there developments be it big or small though! :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:45 pm 

I'll be waiting to see some progress on this one as well. Good luck with it. Should be a screamer when it's finished!!

I just wish we had the 2 door sedans over here, I'm much more a fan of these than the coupes..

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:25 am 

Sorry for no updates guys. I punked out of doing this conversion. lack of mechanical knowhow and garage space difficulties meant it was not meant to be. All is not lost and I bought a 79 coupe with a dogleg 5 speed and a14 and this is whats going into my 2dr. Its a whole heap easier to do as a first time conversion and I plan on building a period specific car now. A 13bt would have been super awesome, but I think a well sorted aseries with the right bits will be almost as much fun and wont require the fabrication needed to do the rotary. Il keep you all updated.
Have a wicked christams fellas. :)