Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:42 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: laws..
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:34 pm 

how low can we go in adelaide?? i wanna make my bluey pretty low but i dnt wanna b to low..

Post subject: Re: laws..
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:40 am 

for a 910 in SA its not a height requirement, its a suspension travel requirement
i believe it is 50mm travel in the front and something like 30mm in the back
if your cutting springs, 2 coils is lots, 1 is not enough, but start at 1 and keep cutting till your happy

S2 TRX: SuckThru Turbo: RETIRED
MR30 Hatch: Daily Driver: SOLD
720 King Cab: Daily Driver V2: SOLD

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:57 pm 

Wak910 wrote:
for a 910 in SA its not a height requirement, its a suspension travel requirement
i believe it is 50mm travel in the front and something like 30mm in the back
if your cutting springs, 2 coils is lots, 1 is not enough, but start at 1 and keep cutting till your happy
As far as I'm aware that's not right.

You must maintain a minumum 100mm ground clearance all round, and cannot reduce your suspension travel by more than 1/3 it's original travel.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:15 pm 

yeh.. i dnt wanna b cuttin..

i wanna go about 3inches at the rear lower and 2 1/2 inches lower at the front...

would this b to low??.. ive heard that cops check with a coke can.. so hmmm..

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:14 pm 

a few years ago i rang regency and they said that was all that was listed for bluebirds

the 100mm clearance could possibly be true, that makes sense, and the 1/3 of travel must leave 50mm

the police handbook says something about bumpstops, which are non-existant in 910's

we live in sa, if its low, youll get defected anyway as cops dont understand the rules, and just say if its legal than you pass anyway

S2 TRX: SuckThru Turbo: RETIRED
MR30 Hatch: Daily Driver: SOLD
720 King Cab: Daily Driver V2: SOLD

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:12 pm 

keggin..

thats sounds good aye.. ill call up regecy and ask.. hopefully there aint no listing still..

cheers
jaryd

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:38 pm 

Should be able to fit a coke can under your rails, i think thats pretty much the limit...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:41 pm 

i called regency today.. somethin to do with bump heights??.. got no clue wat this is.. the front has to b 43mm and the rear has to b 50mm bump height.. wtf is it??.. and do we hav a bump height thingy on bluebirds??

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:52 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

bump stops are rubbers designed to 'stop' your springs from compressing too much.
The bump stops are usually located around the shock piston but can be located on a diff housing or suspension arm aswell.
Youll find the suspension has an amount of travel or squash when its sitting normally at rest compared to when its compressed (bottomed out).

Say for example with standard suspension you have 100mm travel between its resting position down to where the bump stop is hit (if its there and hasnt perished that is!).
You cannot reduce this suspension travel below the amount Regency quoted. i.e if they quoted 25mm for example you could not lower your ride height more than 75mm/3inches from that standard travel of 100mm...
You should be able to detemine this measurement yourself if you get under there and look.

Hope it makes sense, a bit hard to describe without pics etc.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:43 pm 

hmm.. i dnt think blueys hav them.. ive been looking for ages.. and cant find any..

mayb ill jst lower it and see wat happens...

should b ok tho.. because ive seen bluebirds fukn dumped and there is still room between the "supposed" bump stops..

cheers
jaryd

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:22 am 

Here you go guys, a handy little link for youse all. Print this one out and stick it in your glovebox for next time you get pulled over.
BTW yes they have a list of heights for most cars (measure from centre of hub to wheel arch apparently) but also state that the ride height must not be reduced by more than 1/3 of it's original height.

http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/pdfs/per ... etin_3.pdf

There's also a list of engine change regs floating around the site, but I couldn't be arsed searching for it....

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:47 pm 

In my experience cops are too lazy to check and dont want to get on their knees (where they belong) and measure the height, they will just defect you, because all they need to do this is reasonable doubt that your car is unroadworthy, its crap i know but thats what happens.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:07 pm 

not sure if its similar in adelaide but here in NT you must have a 100mm clearance within a 1m radius of any tyre, so if you had a long car, well not datsun.. but say a stretched caddy or something of the sort, theoretically it can touch the ground in the middle as long as the previously noted rule applies to the vehicle.

If it's not broke, don't fix it.. Upgrade it!!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:44 am 

85S3TRX wrote:
hmm.. i dnt think blueys hav them.. ive been looking for ages.. and cant find any..
The bump stops are actually on the shock itself, it goes on the shaft of the shock and then there's like a black rubber sock over that which will be clamped or zip tied to the strut which is why you cant see them. As I just replaced all my bushes and shocks in my front end and new bump stops as mine had broken into pieces.
You can get a Vehicle Modifications Bulletin from the rego place at regency which runs through all basic mods depending on the year of you car. This is one of my favourites, any car manufactured prior 1972 can be turbo or supercharged without the requirements of an engineers report or regency approval as long as it retains its original capacity engine. :hail: gotta love older cars.

1971 Datsun 521 ute
1994 SSS Bluebird
Previous:
2x 1964 SP310's
3x1000 Coupes, 2x1000 Wagons 2x1000 Sedans
1963+64 320 pickup
1970 Datsun 521