Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:59 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:06 am 

I specifically wanted to not have a visible muffler at the rear. I was keen to have just a straight pipe out the back.
If the extractors weren't so low the muffler would sit up neatly near the floor, which is where i'll move it to at a later date. It's located where the centre muffler usually is so it's hardly in an odd spot, just too low.
I have all the exhaust hangers that the exhaust that was on the car before had. I think there are only 3 in total though, it does seem a bit light on but the hangers are hardly stressed out by the exhausts weight so i've left it as is.
I've got two on the rear section and one in front of the crossmember and the extractors hold the front up.
The one in front of the crossmember is hidden in the photos though.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:31 am 

cant wait to see it on rims :thumbsup: great job so far man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:28 am 

I'm hoping to have them on tonight, or at least have all the tyres on the wheels and have them ready to go tonight.
I have to roll the guards so it kind of depends on how late it is when i get around to it and how much noise hammering the guards out makes.
I don't recall it being that loud when I did the guards on the Silvia :).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:43 pm 

Gave the wheels a bit of a polish to get the remaining crap off them, put in new bolts and nuts, rolled the front guards and put the front wheels on.
Should have the rears ready to go on tomorrow arvo :).
15x7 -1 with 195/60R15 up front :).
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:29 pm 

yummy 15x7 -1 :D i like it! they suit it especially well with the mirrors

so the 14x9 0 that im aiming for will not be too nutz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:09 pm 

Rolled the rears, fitted the tyres, pumped em up. This is the result. I think i might go down one profile on the tyres next time i change them (ages away haha) but i'm pretty happy.

[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

Also i looked at the exhaust, i can fix it with one mod that is fairly minor, do it an an hour or so and it'll be sweet as then :).

Oh yeah, there is a problem though, it runs on (as i mentioned before) but now when it's hot it also sometimes backfires after it's stopped. Lovely!
I had the base timing set at about 20dbtdc but put it back to about 15 just tonight. Made no difference to it though.

Any ideas?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:09 pm 

Looking good
The wheels liven it up nicely

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:16 am 
I'm genarally not a fan of the Jap rims as all the Corolla guys use (Corolla is Japanese for sheep i believe) but they really look at the part on the 200B

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:43 pm 

Well after a bunch of trouble free motoring in the car i hit a problem today.
I'd put the car down the backyard (facing downwards on a hill) and left it for about a week sitting there because we had a party and used the pergola (carport haha) for it.
Now when i went to start the car and move it it turned...and stopped. Hrmm, turned the key again and it sprang to life straight away but with a cloud of white smoke out the back.
Now i'm thinking head gasket first up, any other ideas?
The car runs fine, i've not gotten it up to operating temp though, i just moved it up the yard and back into the pergola.

EDIT:
Water level is down a bit, but i've not checked it in a while, it's not super low, oil is light coloured, hard to tell if it's 'milky', a bit of a look around the engine bay shows that there appears to be some oil weeping from between the block and the head at the rear left side (looking from the front).
I used a monotorque gasket so i never went back and retorqued it or anything. I'm going to get the torque wrench out and retorque it to it's maximum values again to see if it can go any tighter.

On the upside i put on some new (genuine Datsun) wing mirrors and they are just lovely haha.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:15 pm 

I got out today and checked a bunch of things to do with this white smoke problem.

Checked the oil and water (both look clean, not milky etc). Checked the head bolt torque which was spot on. Checked the plugs which were a touch black looking but otherwise ok.

Fired it up...no smoke.

I'm thinking perhaps that i had water in the exhaust pipe or something before, i had the car outside for a week or so facing down a relatively steep hill. It rained pretty heavily that week AND we had a water/hose fight around the back of the car the previous week as well.

Now the car is in the pergola all dry and on the flat there isn't a hint of smoke when i start it up.

Interesting....

But good!

In other news i got some 185/60R15s for the front in the mail the other day, and i got an electronic dizzy from this forum as well that will go on ASAP! :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:28 pm 

Some pics of the mirrors on the car, i tightened the steering box up yesterday but i've not driven the car to check it yet.
Also had a look at my L series elec dizzy, the shaft seems a bit loose, but i made a post elsewhere on here asking about that :).

The sticker says 620 truck on them (in Katakana, it actually says "M1074-R Datsun Truck N620 '77~right" in the picture) but they bolted straight up. I likey :).
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:14 pm 

185/60R15s on the front now. Fitted em with my levers day before yesterday :). Perfect sizes i think :).
[ img ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:04 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

I think 185s are an excelent tyre size to run a 7 inch wheel. I recently bouht some new wheels and they are 14x7 with a 185 tyre, look great I think. No bulge but no stretch either.

Car is looking great :thumbsup: although I'm curious, what is this car used for at present? Is it a daily, a weekender, a spare car or what?

The fleet:

Australia:
'80 200B GX - the green200b - hibernating
'81 RX-7 - 12A extend port - daily
'74 RX-2 - 13B bridgeport - cruiser

Europe:
'93 200SX - CA18DET - tourer
Dato200B wrote:
Green200B has forgotten more about 200Bs than we will ever know.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:58 pm 

It's a daily, i use both of my cars daily, i like to use my cars day to day, i can enjoy them all the time then haha.
The Silvia is a daily as well although it gets the track duties obviously (although i've not been going to the track much lately) as well as the longer distance driving due to the 200B only being a 4 speed.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:57 am 

nebuchernezzer wrote:
...longer distance driving due to the 200B only being a 4 speed.
They don't rev that hard at 100Km/h. Mine sits at just over 3 grand, wheras my brother's 5 speed laser sits at 3.5 grand.

I do heaps of long trips in the 200B. Went to Kilmore the other week, and soon I'll be going to Mildura. Not to mention various trips to Ballarat and Bendigo.
Although, I don't have a choice in which car I take, as I only have the 200B.

Looking good regardless, The new mirrors are great and the wheels aren't bad either.

[ img ]
BM510 wrote:
I'm a driver.