Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 12:39 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:27 am 

Stock :).
I don't have any grand aspirations, i just want it to look neat and OEMish.
I like being able to lift the bonnet and smile :).

I can SORT OF do that with my Silvia. This is before and after on my Silvia (no painting, just cleaning and stuff). The Silvia isn't done either...

Before, this is when I got it 4 or so years ago:
[ img ]

After, this is how it is pretty much right now:
[ img ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:55 pm 

Looks neat so far

next time i strip and build an engine bay though, i want minimal there, as the saying goes, "less is more"

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:29 pm 

Haha the Silvia actually has more in there! I cut and extended some of the wiring looms from the inner guards through the engine bay to prevent them from being chewed up by the wheels while drifting!

There isn'y much clearance left between the 9" front wheels and the tops of the inner guards, also did a fair bit of hammer work so there is enough room for the tyres at full lock :).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:35 pm 

Put the head on tonight, which was easy as!
[ img ]
[ img ]

Cos i was setting the cam as per the recommendation i got from Baz a few pages back it was a bit fiddly (not familiar with the procedure at all haha) but I think i got it right after a bit of playing about :).
It looks like it says 3 on the sprocket in the photo that i lined up but it doesn't it's a 1.
[ img ]
With the cam like that the crank is here, looks like 2DBTDC to me!
[ img ]

And yup both cam lobes are facing upwards on number 1 while this is going on ;).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:40 am 
Old Digger

Looking good mate. A quick question though. When you swaped the cams over did you swap the rockers over too? If not I would recomend you do. Keep them in the same order as removed. Or get your current rockers reground. The cams profile and wipe pattern will differ to the rockers otherwise and will cause increased wear.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:50 am 

Yup the rockers are the matching set in the right locations ;).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:24 pm 

Put some more of the engine together. I set the cold valve clearances on the inlet valves no worries but i ran into a problem on the exhaust valves, ran out of adjustment.
Odd. I'm going to check the rocker pivot posts on the other head i have (the U67 head these rockers, cam etc came from) and I also made a separate post about this problem in the engine section.
And some pics. You can see the rocker cover was done in wrinklecoat, but it didn't come out properly, i'm going to redo it later. The rest i'm pretty happy with :).
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:38 pm 
Old Digger

What clearance did you set the rockers at? Also where does the cam wipe on the rocker pads?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:46 pm 

0.20 inlet (done)
0.25 exhaust (ran out of adjustment)

I've not looked at the wipe.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:03 pm 
Old Digger

According to the 610 FSM you have the correct clearances. There should however be plenty of adjustment both ways. A bit more investigating it needed me thinks. Get some pics up when you can. Are you using the feeler gauges between the rocker pad and cam? I the cam flower pointing all the way up when you do each rocker? Sorry if you already know this sh*t but, sometimes guys get in deeper then they can handle. A L series head needs to be perfect for it to last and for the engine to make any grunt.

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
l18 rockers.jpg [ 55.87 KiB | Viewed 1229 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:12 pm 

That's right, feeler gauges in between the backside of the lobe and the rocker. I've not done clearances in a long time but last time was on a Pinto engine in my RS2000 and i think it's basically exactly the same thing!

I didn't think the valve seats were ground that much, my first thought was a difference in the adjustment post between the old U67 and new A87 head but I'm guessing that isn't it if no one has mentioned it yet. I guess i can measure how far the valve stems stick up out of the head and compare them to the valve stems in the old U67. Might be able to tell something from that.

The only pic i could find of the underside of the head in question.
[ img ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:20 pm 
Old Digger

Possible the seats have been cut to far. Close up of a chamber would confirm and also close up of wipe on the rocker.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:29 pm 

Head is on now but i can get a close up of the rocker wipe easily tomorrow night.
What's usually the solution when the seats get cut too far? I presume shortening the posts (which seems the easy way) isn't the way to go?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:49 pm 
Old Digger

Will wait for the pics before I say more. The cam flowers need to be wiping on in the middle of the rocker pad. Wipe the rocket clean with thinners colour rocker pad in with texta then turn engine over 3 or 4 times. Take pic of the said rocker. Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:57 pm 

Roger that. I was going to take the locknut out, set the rocker at 0.25 clearance and then do the wipe like that. Should give an idea of weather it's going to work or not :).