Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Tue Jun 18, 2024 4:02 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:37 pm 

hey dudes, just a quick question for thoughts on using a 200b for a rally car(cause there cheap and easy to find)im just not real sure how well a 200b would handle in the rear end compared to a dato with irs i.e. 510 or 180b. im wanting to get in to rally a bit more seriously, ive had previous 510s that i used for a bit of rally here and there,and the 510 would have to be one of the best cars built for rally. with building a sr 510 i have plenty of spares for a 510, probably enough to build the a car four times over if i had a shells to do so, i have one spare 510 shell but its pretty shagged :( and i would probably be right in saying just buy something thats already running(cheaper and dam sight easier). so the real question is i spose is for your thoughts on just buying a cheap sh*t 200b or hang out to try and find a 510, cause they are hardly going cheap now, or even a cheap 180b. no point spending big bucks on your first rally car, only wanna have a bit fun with out spending heaps, or maybe even a car already built for rally????

any suggestions or thoughts would be great, cause i dont wanna buy something that is just gunna handle like and elephant on ice, also i might race it at places like winton on club days.... i can easiely change the car from full rally suspension setup to race track suspension, as i have heaps of struts, springs shocks to choose from and i also work at pedders from time to time, so wheel alignments are no worries nor building/modifying things like adjustable castor rods and the like.

sorry for all the questions :oops: bill........

Current Projects: vk v8, street/club car
71 510

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:46 pm 

Bill go to the 200b photos post ........ They make pretty damn good rally cars with the independant rear end !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:30 pm 

option1 wrote:
Bill go to the 200b photos post ........ They make pretty damn good rally cars with the independant rear end !
Only some of the early ones have IRS... as far as I am aware.

In my opinion, 1600s/180Bs/IRS 200Bs are all fairly similar so it is up to you based on availability of shells and spares. They can all be made to handle/be competitive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:33 pm 
All SSS`s and some jap built 4 doors had IRS ..........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 3:30 pm 

Does anyone know if the 200b IRS will bolt up to a non IRS 200B???

Mazda 121 - Daily

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 6:14 pm 
Just look at Graham wise's 200b in Rallying in Victoria it is probably the quickest Datsun if not the quickest RWD non turbo in Victoria, and look at the Alpine Rally from the weekend which is the premier club event in Australia 2 200b's where in the top 4 until one blew the head gasket and Graham wise only came second after 300km by 8 second behind a newer 200sx.

http://www.ozrally.com.au/photos/big/al ... ll2003.jpg

http://www.ozrally.com.au/photos/big/al ... 2003_2.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 7:06 pm 

I know it's kinda OT, but who's Graham's co-driver these days?

Cheers,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 9:21 pm 

hey thanks lads, sounds like there is definatly nothing wrong with a good old 200b, i guess the other good thing is that they have a l20b already :) , which is good cause ive just built a decent l20b up, flat tops, balanced, lightended flywheel, ported head and big cam, nothing outstanding, just a decent strong motor. from driving my mates 200b their 4 speeds are much nicer than a 510 one, and i guess with the 4 speeds being longer 5 speeds go in easy then??? havent spent a whole lot of time round 200bs :? thanks for the help lads, i betta start looking for a car now... bill

Current Projects: vk v8, street/club car
71 510