Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 12:05 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:54 pm 

how do we build a approved cams rollcage ? :oops: do i get it built then some one inspects it ?
id like to get it built to suit my sss 180b.
but have no idea how to get it certified. :impatient:
:wink: i have someone in mind to build but yeah just wondering on the tech side of things.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:38 pm 

Once it has a cage you won't be able to street register it. There's some dispensation for drag cars using only a rear half cage, but full cages can only be registered in full blown rally cars and then the rego is limited such that you can only drive it during events, to and from events, to and from workshops for essential maintenance and in CAMS sanctioned parades. In other words it ain't a daily driver anymore.

On with the cage itself. Buy the latest CAMS manual (from CAMS), refer to the relevant schedule (R ?) and it shows you the basic CAMS spec cage and the approved additions and in the text has the tube material, sizes and specs. I think it covers the maximum diameter reduction for the bends as well.

I'd check with a scruitineer before hand, but I'm pretty sure that with a standard CAMS spec cage if you've followed all the data, you can just get a scruit to come and check once it's built.
There's probably some paperwork involved with CAMS in getting the Roll Cage certificaion number and log book.

If you deviate from the book at all, KA-CHING $$$$, you'll need a full engineering analysis and then submit that to CAMS to get it Homologated. The includes if you want to change to Chromoly, or even TIG weld it I believe.

Also, if your fabricator wants to take to your roof with a holesaw to fully weld the front/rear legs to the main hoop, find a different fabricator. A truly decent fabricator will be able to weld it without cutting holes everywhere, I've seen some cages from the east that have had the roof cut, and it's just silly.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:57 pm 

Boyracer wrote:
Once it has a cage you won't be able to street register it. There's some dispensation for drag cars using only a rear half cage, but full cages can only be registered in full blown rally cars and then the rego is limited such that you can only drive it during events, to and from events, to and from workshops for essential maintenance and in CAMS sanctioned parades. In other words it ain't a daily driver anymore.

They're called a "club permit registration" which are the maroon coloured plates in Victoria.
There is ways and means to get around building a cage. I'll PM you to discuss.

On with the cage itself. Buy the latest CAMS manual (from CAMS), refer to the relevant schedule (R ?) and it shows you the basic CAMS spec cage and the approved additions and in the text has the tube material, sizes and specs. I think it covers the maximum diameter reduction for the bends as well.

I'd check with a scruitineer before hand, but I'm pretty sure that with a standard CAMS spec cage if you've followed all the data, you can just get a scruit to come and check once it's built.
There's probably some paperwork involved with CAMS in getting the Roll Cage certificaion number and log book.

If you deviate from the book at all, KA-CHING $$$$, you'll need a full engineering analysis and then submit that to CAMS to get it Homologated. The includes if you want to change to Chromoly, or even TIG weld it I believe.

Also, if your fabricator wants to take to your roof with a holesaw to fully weld the front/rear legs to the main hoop, find a different fabricator. A truly decent fabricator will be able to weld it without cutting holes everywhere, I've seen some cages from the east that have had the roof cut, and it's just silly.

They're called a "club permit registration" which are the maroon coloured plates in Victoria.
There is ways and means to get around building a cage. I'll PM you to discuss. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:32 am 

Quote:
Once it has a cage you won't be able to street register it.
There are ways around it. My mates 1600 has a cage and is street registered. He's been pulled over by the cops and everything is fine with them. Might be on his mod plate?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:39 am 

schedule J cams manual
http://www.camsmanual.com.au/pdf/10_gen ... J_Q209.pdf
briefly
you cant logbook alloy cages anymore
cages must be 6 point, cant use rear cages any more
you will need to build the cage to a specific class, eg a rally cage will be allowed to have more extensive bar work than an improved production cage
cams and andra have different rules

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:12 pm 

bossbarry wrote:
how do we build a approved cams rollcage ? :oops: do I get it built then some one inspects it ?
id like to get it built to suit my sss 180b.
but have no idea how to get it certified. :impatient:
:wink: I have someone in mind to build but yeah just wondering on the tech side of things.

http://www.ozdat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=15917

All you ever wanted to know about building a CAMS approved cage is in my build article at the above link.

13B N/A powered 1600 racecar build (Built, not bought) http://www.ozdat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=12316

Munch Munch, L series pistons for lunch

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:24 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Riley wrote:
Quote:
Once it has a cage you won't be able to street register it.
There are ways around it. My mates 1600 has a cage and is street registered. He's been pulled over by the cops and everything is fine with them. Might be on his mod plate?
I was also under the impression that you could get them engineered and then they were legal?

The fleet:

Australia:
'80 200B GX - the green200b - hibernating
'81 RX-7 - 12A extend port - daily
'74 RX-2 - 13B bridgeport - cruiser

Europe:
'93 200SX - CA18DET - tourer
Dato200B wrote:
Green200B has forgotten more about 200Bs than we will ever know.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:29 pm 

my cage is blueplated for registration in qld.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:41 pm 

datto-510 wrote:
thanks what about NSW

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:58 pm 

bossbarry wrote:
datto-510 wrote:
thanks what about NSW
different system down there i think, so i dont know.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:00 pm 

In WA, if it's got a rear cage, and the rear seats are no longer functional, it can be got past with a bit of stufing around. If it's got front legs, not a hope.
People have been 'getting around' the rollcage registration thing in the past, but now they've gently caressed it for everyone.
There was a mob (I think in QLD) importing jap cars under the B class rally rego and sending them out on the street. All was fine with the original owners, now the cars have moved on, they've come under police scruitiny and the muck has hit the fan in a big way. Now importers can't just bring in cars with an 'optional B class rego' the car has to be bought in Japan and all the paperwork sorted and approved, in the name of the owner, before it leaves Japan or it's only good for parts once it gets here.
Just because it can be 'gotten around' doesn't necessairly mean it should be.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:57 pm 

Best way to get the cage close to the roof and weld the whole way around the top, is to actually hole saw the floor, drop the whole cage down to ground level, weld around the top of the cage, lift it back up in the car and then plate under and around the feet as usual, thats what has been done on my cage.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:11 am 

Boyracer wrote:
In WA, if it's got a rear cage, and the rear seats are no longer functional, it can be got past with a bit of stufing around. If it's got front legs, not a hope.
People have been 'getting around' the rollcage registration thing in the past, but now they've gently caressed it for everyone.
There was a mob (I think in QLD) importing jap cars under the B class rally rego and sending them out on the street. All was fine with the original owners, now the cars have moved on, they've come under police scruitiny and the muck has hit the fan in a big way. Now importers can't just bring in cars with an 'optional B class rego' the car has to be bought in Japan and all the paperwork sorted and approved, in the name of the owner, before it leaves Japan or it's only good for parts once it gets here.
Just because it can be 'gotten around' doesn't necessairly mean it should be.
babow wrong you can get a full cage in
my friends s13 just ahd one in and engineered full cage was built by chronic customs