Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 8:46 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:50 pm 

we have a fair bit to do, im hoping to do a bit during the week nail it saturday but i gotta buy a nother new chain saw n hopfully those trees rip out with the 4bee

mark ill send you a msg with the bad new's about the trailer ( has all my fencing on it and its a moveing work bench atm )

hope you can hire one cheap ,

XR8 tow car
stocko 1200 ute

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:25 pm 

yeahthats cool this fence will be done lol hopefully haha jordys house comes first lol if we can get there i reckon we will get there.. if not then good luck dude. eat those commondores.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:56 pm 

Getting excited now.... Final check over of the car tonight. Plug in the lap top, make sure everything is working properly, run a couple of spanners over everything, check all the hose clamps, oil levels etc..... then load it up tomorrow to take out to the track after lunch. (that way I don't have to think about the car on Saturday morning).

Forecast is for rain over the weekend... hopefully my races will be dry........ :shock:

When the Flag drops........... the Bullshit stops
Go hard or go home!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:39 pm 

i really wanted to come and help out but th fact im pickig up my new datto on saturday and i have to clean up my yard as its a pig sty out there....and all has to be cleaned up before any datto work

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:26 pm 

All good guys, there will be plenty of opportunities next year..... I am hoping to run the whole season.

Go hard or go home!

Post subject: Day 1 Report...........
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:13 pm 

Hi guys,

Survived day one.....Just.

Qualifying was a massive anti-climax..... first lap out and I blew an intercooler pipe off = NO BOOST! :evil: end result was qualified last in position 28 :(

The race was a different story..... lap one, and after starting from position 28, I made up 8 places on the first lap to be in position 20 by the end of the first lap. Clawed back a few more places over the next few laps before having some brake problems (ie. NO BRAKES :o ) coming down into Colb? corner (over the back). This resulted in a spin and dropping a couple of spots before finishing in 18th place overall.

I think the brake problems came from hitting the outside ripple strip as you come out of the right hander over the top of the hill. The ripple strip is quite an aggressive saw tooth, and I think this caused some pad knock off in the car...resulting in no brakes coming down into colb at 185kmh! Scarey stuff!

Anyway.... not a bad result in the end, but could have finished in 15th if it wasn't for the spin.

Tomorrow is a reverse grid race in the morning, so I will be starting from position 7. Need a good result so that the combined results from the two races gives me a good starting position for the final tomorrow afternoon.

With rain forecast tomorrow...it could be a very interesting day!

Huge thanks to Neil for his help today..... much appreciated.

Go hard or go home!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:23 pm 

look like you car ran good today just a little touch into the last corner. I come and had a look at you car in pits but you werent there but car looks realy good :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:13 pm 

Thanks dude, the car did run well... more to come tomorrow.

Not much damage from the touch into the last corner, just a broken indicator and slightly caved in front guard. (the guard pulled out by hand :thumbsup: )

Sorry I missed you, I was probably off looking for the guy I "touched up" into the last corner...... next time!

Go hard or go home!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:46 am 

i probably have some parts for you if you need them mark as i am turning mine back to the 81 model...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:14 pm 

That sounds great Datski...we should definately talk, I left all my spares in Sydney. :(

Day Two Report..... What a day!

Last night I re-mapped the boost curve (whilst watching some TV) and loaded it into the car this morning. Basically, I mapped the boost curve to throttle postion. In summary at 50% throttle it had approx 10psi boost, 70% throttle was about 14psi and 90% throttle about 18psi. It was progressive though, not sudden leaps.

Race 1 today was a wet track, so I softened off the shocks and pressured up the tyres, in the hope that I could get some traction. I was hoping the new boost map would also help......none of it helped at all :( The car was plain awful to drive, I had no hope in hell of getting any traction whatsover.... all I did for the entire race was grab the next gear....and then wait for more wheel spin again! The net result was that I started from position 7, and finished 23rd.....bloody hopeless!

Race 2 and I had re-mapped the boost curve again, this time taking out most of the boost. in fact it wouldn't give me full boost unless I was 90% throttle AND over 4,500rpm. I also got more detailed in the way the boost was delivered cross referencing Throttle position with RPM. The net result was a much improved car to drive. I also disconnected the rear sway bar to assist in the rear end grip, which also helped a lot.

The conditions for the second race were terrible, heavy rain before the race and more rain during the race made for a very wet track. Coming down the hill to the last corner (at 180kph) I couldn't see the cars in front of me, and was just hoping I would see their brake lights when they came on. A couple of laps in and the tyres started coming up to temp and I started making some progress, but the windscreen was fogging up. I loosened off the harness just enough to reach the windscreen so that I could wipe it and see where I was going.....then the safety car came out....cars were going off everywhere, and there were three in sand trap over the back of the circuit. This helped me catch back up to the field, but the tyres lost all their temp, and the restart was a bit exciting with the cold tyres. Another lap or two and the red flag came out.... for some reason, the officials decided to re-grid the field, which took a while, and again the tyres lost their temp - but we did get up to 14th position for the restart of a 2 lap dash to the finish. Again with cold tyres, I was up to 9th place, but had a brain fade on the last lap and ran very wide allowing three cars through......one more car went off on the last lap, so I finished 11th in the trophy race.

Had a great weekend overall, made some progress on playing with the power delivery of the car and got to learn the track a little more.....looking forward to the next round............

Go hard or go home!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:20 pm 

can your ecu save a hole heap of /maps/tune's ? so you can save wet /dry settings ?

the roads where so wet in guildford too, even my pulsar felt like a turbo in the wet lol

glad the car didnt have any pannle damage, bet a few would of

XR8 tow car
stocko 1200 ute

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:32 pm 

Good to hear my work held together(no doubt that it wouldnt have) hopefully next time time you go out mark its a bit more dry and you can improve your times. What are the regs with tyres on for the weekend can you change from semi's slicks/slicks to wet weather tread or stay with the same tyre? Either way next time should be quicker now you know the track a bit better.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:53 am 

The ECU only holds one map, but I have a few now saved on the lap top. Only takes about 10 seconds to dump a new map into the ECU.

Looking forward to the next meeting (maybe October). Here is a list of things I plan to do before next season....

1. Upgrade injectors to 740cc to run E85 (& Re-tune)
2. Upgrade Brakes to R33 Calipers front & Rear, with 300mm front rotor and vented rear rotor
3. Rebuild front end (needs to be a bit tighter)
4. Add about 1 degree of neg camber to diff housing.
5. Add a watts link with adjustable roll centre adjustment
6. All new stickers for the car....anyone like to sponsor me?

Here is a couple of pics from the weekend.

[ img ]
Slippery everywhere.....this is coming onto the front straight

[ img ]
Playing in the rain!

[ img ]
This shot gives a good idea of how wet it was...

Go hard or go home!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:16 pm 

It was good to see the beast out there well done mark. Both you and the silva were skirming coming out kolb corner :P and I could see in Ford Fast Brake corner you had some traction issues too hehehe :giggle: I'm glad here no major damage done :thumbsup:
Next Event: 3rd October Japanese Wholesale Spares Drift Series Round 1 Practice from 9am Qualifing 11am Battles 1:30pm
18th October Smarter than Smoking State Championship

[ img ]
76 180B Wagon FJ20e, LT8 -daily
83 DR30RS FJ20et, GT35/40, 45mm Turbo Smart waste gate, 35mm Sard BOV, 356rwhp @ 19psi.

GO HARD or GO HOME, GO SIDEWAYS or GO SQUARE

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:04 pm 

Yeah...thanks mate.... I know it looked like a drift car at times, but I wont be entering any drift comps.

I may run the october meeting, but I want to re-tune the car on E85 before running again..... not sure if I can get that done prior to the October race meeting.

Go hard or go home!