Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:48 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:48 pm 

No, due to it not having 30 year old rubbish electrics/ efi bolted to it :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 8:32 pm 

Long time no update. Not much to report with the car, everything is on hold while I build my shed, I'll be sure to post pics of it when it's done. Pouring concrete tomorrow if all goes to plan, so it shouldn't be too far off.

I did manage to get out to Winton a few weeks ago for a track day. Had a ball, enjoyed it more than Phillip Island because it wasn't as daunting, great track to learn on. My best time was a 1.53 flat, so there's plenty more in it, just need to improve my driving.

Here's a few pics that me and a mate took, hope the pics aren't too big, I use a 27" monitor at home and at work...

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

more here: http://www.build-threads.com/general-ca ... -may-2014/

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 8:49 pm 

Hey Anth,

Who did you do the PI track day with? I reckon you may go a little quicker if you <ahem> raise the car... Might not be riding on the bump stops then :D HAhahaha.. Looks sick though!

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 10:15 pm 

As above, your roll couple will also be very uneven unless you have corrected the excessively low rear roll center with that ride height. I bet it under-steers in to tight corners and over-steers out.
It looks awesome but there is some geometry changes that need to be done to be able to run that low and be fast

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 11:57 pm 

Great looking car anth, dont raise it a millimeter, no matter what anyone says! And outstanding work on the build thread, great read.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:46 am 

SR20Datsun wrote:
Hey Anth,

Who did you do the PI track day with? I reckon you may go a little quicker if you <ahem> raise the car... Might not be riding on the bump stops then :D HAhahaha.. Looks sick though!
PI was with PIARC, which I am a member of. Lot's of expensive machinery at their days, a bit daunting to share the track with some of them! EXE is more younger guys into Japanese cars, so I felt a lot more comfortable. Yeah I know, time to grow up and raise it, also want to get 50 series tyres next, which I think I've mentioned about 100 times haha. Funnily enough I didn't hit the bumpstops at Winton, but I did notice the front end bottoming out at PI, must be due to the faster/higher G corners. I guess I should re-install my rear bumpstops at some point :P
lampy wrote:
As above, your roll couple will also be very uneven unless you have corrected the excessively low rear roll center with that ride height. I bet it under-steers in to tight corners and over-steers out.
It looks awesome but there is some geometry changes that need to be done to be able to run that low and be fast
Yeah I know, it's not a race car so I've always comprimised between appearance and handling, although I am at the point where I'm willing to sacrifice some looks for more performance. It has 1" bump steer spacers on the front and a full Datsport rear end, but what I'd like to do is get the LCA point raised in the front crossmember. It actually handles quite well considering the height, but then again I'm no expert. I was understeering quite badly from my second session onwards, then my mate checked my tyre pressures and noticed they had gone up to 50psi! I had no idea about hot vs cold pressures, so after lowering them down to low/mid 30s the car was transformed, had so much more grip. At least I know now for next time.
MINT-16 wrote:
Great looking car anth, dont raise it a millimeter, no matter what anyone says! And outstanding work on the build thread, great read.
Cheers mate, glad people enjoy reading it, makes the effort worth while :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 11:31 am 

I think it looks great that low and would be great for a race car but needs some geometry fixed.

Roll center spacers on the front or raising the front pickup point can actually make the problem worse.
When you lower the rear suspension on a 1600 you lower the rear roll center, even though the camber and toe problem is corrected by the adjustable brackets. This makes the front rear roll couple very uneven and potentially lower at the rear than the front if you have added roll center spacers on the front.
A front engined rear wheel drive car needs the axis higher at the rear than the front

see here for a good bit of kit that solves the problem
http://lescollinsracing.com/chassis/sus ... atsun-1600

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 1:02 pm 

So that raises the pickup points of the a-arms on the rear crossmember, instead of just adjusting them? Interesting, never heard of Les' crossmember before, if I knew about it before buying the Datsport DIY kit I would have definitely considered it.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 3:32 pm 

To raise the roll center you can raise the inner pivot or lower the outer pivot.
Other mods need to be done to the trailing arms to gain back some negative camber

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 7:43 pm 

Great pics Anth, and good to see out on the track. Let us know when you go out next will pop along in mine. :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:36 pm 

You still running the Microtech computer Anth? Has it been good so far with the FJ??
Just asking, as when i picked up my Datto it came with the Microtech. Ive read mixed responses. I know a lot of the rotor guys use them but dont really know too many using one on a piston engine.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:30 am 

Hey Aaron, yep still running it, it works fine for what I need, the only thing I don't like is that it has some hesitation at low revs when the engine is cold. I went with whatever my tuners recommended for my budget, since they'd be the ones fiddling with it. However they have since told me that Haltec (I think?) make a better entry-level ECU for the same price, but it wasn't available when I did mine.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:11 pm 

trying to not look like every other white 1600 there? :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:22 pm 

haha yeah it's a bit hard these days, white with club rego!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:58 am 

Looking forward to Classic Japan so I can see this thing up close and personal!!