Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:49 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:51 am 

Morning, does anybody know if this has been swapped in to a 1200 or b210?

I'm just thinking out loud - The way I see things I have 11-12 months to plan my 120y engine swap and want to end up with a car which is basically modern, but in a 78' 120y shell.

I'm open to suggestions, but I'm tempted to go against the grain of the CA18 and SR20 swaps - I'm not looking to race the car anytime in the near future and need the car to remain fairly practical.

I'm off to do some more searching on engine swaps etc

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:24 am 

13b rotary!! actually easier then most people think, use a 121/rx5 5speed gearboc and make engine mounts to attach to the radius rod brackets (front mounted rotary e.g. rx4 13b, rx5 13b or any other 13b with an early 13b or 12at timing cover), would be killer in a 120y, doing it in my sunny and 120y's have a very similar engine bay and front suspension set up ;)

1979 Datsun Sunny Wagon 13b Turbo conversion: http://ozdat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=28890

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:40 am 

in a 120y/sunny an rx4 engine crossmember can also be modified slightly to fight a few different ways, 1 is just by chopping the ends off, slotting the chassis rail for the locating dowls and slightly increasing the size on one bolt hole and drilling a new one or 2 is you can mount it on the top of the chassis rail above the radius rods but the engine will sit a bit higher and you may need to get a different intake anifold and carb or if its a newer efi 13b then you plunum may only just clear the bonnet, same with if you went 13bt it would HAVE to be front mounted or another way where the intercooler is not on top of the inlet plenum/manifold overwise it will definatly hit the bottom of the bonnet, rx4 extractors/exhaust manifold would fit with minor 'ajustments' or for turbo a new manifold will need to be made up and the bettery platform cut off the car then the battery would have to be mounted on the other side of the engine bay or located into the boot of the car, hope that helped a bit, alternatiuvly you can spend money on fitting kits but i know in my case thats not in my budget as they are very expensive!

also rx4 sump (front facing), rx4 oil pick up and thge suyspension crossmember will need the engine mount towers chopped off or the side of the rotor housing would be sure to hit.....

1979 Datsun Sunny Wagon 13b Turbo conversion: http://ozdat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=28890

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:59 am 

Somebody else mentioned a rotary engine to me before, it's definitely something to consider - I'm spending a hell of a lot of time trying to absorb info and interpret the engineering regs etc at the moment.

Thanks for the pointers too...will be very helpful if i go down that route i'm sure