Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:37 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:35 am 

Ok, I've had a crazy idea...

Has anyone tried to fit a completely different heater unit in their 1600?
I know you can use a Bluebird heater tap to replace the ever corroding 1600 ones, but what about a whole new system with new core and motor etc from a late model car?
I know it would need to be modified and you would probably have to re-route vents, probably pipes etc, but is there is something that someone has tried. I figure while i'm making this project and its off the road and I can weld up and drill out new holes before painting, it may be a good option to customise it with newer features etc.

I imagine that you could still use the same 1600 heater controls as long as the heater itself is cable operated. So that rules out anything from a late model car unless you're good with electronics. But you get the idea.

I have been considering it for multiple reasons.

One reason for doing this, is that I want to fit a set of gauges in where the current CD player sits to keep the gauges all at the same level relative to the proper dash gauges. I have a Center Consol from a 200b which covers the bottom vent of the current 1600 heater. And because I want to hear music when I drive, I was going to make a custom dash unit that joined below the ash tray of the 1600 dash so I could mount a CD player in that, utilising a generic DIN slot and a bit of fibreglass. But problems incur as that covers the push/pull vent of the heater in the centre and makes it really easy for budding thieves to rip out the cd player as its not attached that well.

But if there was a different heater, you could put in a different dash section that ran all the way to the back of the firewall that covered it. This can incorporate upgraded vents in the front to keep engineers/ passengers happy so you're not blocking heat into the cabin. And will allow my obsession of having different placement of CD player and gauges also. As well as a part of the car that actually worked (because we all know that a datsun 1600 heater just doesn't work)

Another reason is you could also have the upgraded luxury of Air Conditioning.

I know Baz has done something similar to this with the 200b Dash conversions.
But what do others think?

It may be too much work for the gain, but what do you think?

Previous Car: Restored Green 1972 Datsun 510, Hot L18

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:31 pm 

i have always thought the same thing... an old cheap late 90's hyundai excel heater core/fan/motor modded to bolt in a 1600, they work really well, never had problems, should be pretty cheap now 2nd hand. and they're cable.
if you can find something that tucks up under the dash, behind the original 1600 heater trim, clean, hidden, nice.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:12 pm 

Sounds like a good idea! They would be cheap. I was even thinking of upgrading the whole lot of 1600 heater and trim altogether. The heater currently has vents that sit towards the back of the ashtray/cd player unit underneath. So i was thinking if I could find a model car where I could bring the vents forward slightly then i'd do that and keep it more in line and modern looking.
Did some Very quick measurements yesterday, and my 98 Subie has a front fascia that is around about the right width and height to use (not sure about the rear as it sits further back in the cabin towards the firewall. So something like that could work. But getting the required stuff out of one of those will be expensive unless i can find someone who has wrecked one.

If anyone else wants to provide some measurements tho, or suggest something that may fit, then i'm happy to try it if it looks plausible while the car is in stripped bare shell condition.

Previous Car: Restored Green 1972 Datsun 510, Hot L18

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:07 pm 

03stiwrx wrote:
I have always thought the same thing... an old cheap late 90's hyundai excel heater core/fan/motor modded to bolt in a 1600, they work really well, never had problems, should be pretty cheap now 2nd hand. and they're cable.
if you can find something that tucks up under the dash, behind the original 1600 heater trim, clean, hidden, nice.
Pics of the excel unit?

I've always planned on fitting a better setup to mine, but everything I've looked at is mounted width-ways along the passenger side firewall and wouldn't translate well to being orientated length ways in the middle. I also have a few structural differences to work around too, but always come to the conclusion that I will need to fab my own shroud around a retrofitted heater core and a/c core - and who knows what fan will end up being used.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:59 am 

there is no reason why the setup couldn't be fitted to its original location undet the 1600 dash behind the glove box, as said a lot of newer model setups use the fan and blower under the passenger side of the dash with the heater core in the centre, while this is more to fit a evaporator core between the fan and heater core with a blend door as well for air con equipped cars

the space available under the 1600 dash behind the glove box would be a fine location for one of these newer model slimline setups, plus you would then have the space under the centre console area, all that would be required is some strategic mounting points sorted out and some planning

anything is possible, its just how much work do you want to do

i'd be searching a small sized car, dont forget though, that an excell wouldn't have as large a trans tunnel hump as the 1600, so maybe the FWD cars heater cores sit lower, just another thing to consider

what about a late model bluebird setup or pintara, evern R31 skyline setup

all are nissan, and RWD and came with A/C as a factory option, all are cable

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:59 pm 

i was thinking more of buying the motor and fan (i remember it had plenty of fan speed) and recoring/replacing the heater core/heater tap.
i know some later model VW use plastic heater taps, so i might take a look at those...
i'm happy to keep the original style heater box, just make all the insides new and have some balls over the old fan. i think getting a good fan speed up is probably the big one.. i don't recall them being that powerful.
cables vs the old rods to make the heater controls easier to use could be good too, plus making sure all the flaps close of properly so the flow of air is directed where it's meant to go... i'll be having a play with mine in the next month or so, i'll let you know how i go.