Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 1:38 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Brake Booster on a 1600
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:39 pm 

Just wondering if 1600's came out of the factory with a brake booster? Most i have seen in person have them, i did a search on here and most people seem to run them. Now with the missus's 1600's one had a booster and the other didn't. The one that did i ended up blocking the vacuum hose at the engine as the brakes were over touchy and drove me nuts. The one that doesn't brakes fine, so i'm just wondering why people use them and if there is a way to set them up to not be overly touchy?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:24 pm 
Old Digger

Aus delivered/built 1600's never had a boosted. They had a single bore master cylinder. Bloody sh*t house

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:29 pm 

I see you run a booster, what is yr reason for doing so and did you set it up so the brakes aren't so touchy?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:44 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Booster just gives you a lighter pedal feel, so you don't have to push as hard on the brake pedal to get it to stop,

As Brad said, standard is a single cylinder master cylinder - a lot of people prefer the dual cylinder / dual circuit master for safety reasons (ie with the stock one, if it fails you have no brakes at all, dual circuit gives you more chance of stopping if one fails). Since most dual circuit master cylinders are used with boosters (ie 180B etc), most people probably just transfer the whole assembly when upgrading the master cylinder.

Personally, I like a bit of "feel" to the brakes. In my 1600 I just use the dual master cylinder with no booster.

1965 SP310 Fairlady
1966 SP311 Fairlady

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:25 am 

Yeah well with the old 1600 a booster and i couldn't stand it. Everytime i applied the brakes i had to play a balancing act otherwise the brakes would just come on too hard. I definately prefer the feel of the brakes in the one without the booster. But i might fit up the master cylinder from my 200B or bluebird. Is it much work to fit up a twin cylinder master? Considering one has just a single pipe running into the junction/prop valve and the other has two. Would i just use the prop vavle from a 200b too?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:53 am 
Guru

problems with touchy boosters is that they are not adjusted correctly.
check that the push rods are adusted & if it is still touchy check the setting
on the booster tip to master cyl.

"R.I.P. Baz. 29 April 2022. Thank you for all your contributions to the Datsun community over the years. You will be missed." - OZDAT

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:02 pm 

Cheers Baz :)