Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:10 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Which car club?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:56 pm 

I have a 1200 ute which I put on the road October last year with 3 months reg. I am looking to get it put on club reg. The guy at the rego office said I need to keep a log book etc, and gave me all the details, however he did not know which car clubs were certified to give me club reg. It makes rego about $100 a year, and as I dont use it for a daily, 90 days a year is plenty.
A mate suggested SMASA (it's a stock 1200 FFS!), or I was thinking maybe sporting car club?
Any suggestions? Does anyone here run club reg?

JD

Post subject: Re: Which car club?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:19 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

i just register mine for 3 months around summer as i dont really drive it in winter.
Log book sounds like a pita.
Are you sure that you will keep the book up to date for when you get pulled over by cops?

Have you tried the Nissan/datsun car club?
http://www.nissandatsuncarclubsa.com/index.htm

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:05 am 

If you only want to join for log book purposes then I don't think what club you join will make much difference. But if you want to join to do events and meetings well that's different.
I was a member of the Nissan Datsun Car Club of SA for a year and not again. I personally found them not too organised, never receiving emails for events when they supposedly sent them even after giving them my email address again, never received any info on events in the post or even membership renewal forms, can't be too keen to keep their members. And the club meetings I did attend I didn't seem to feel as welcomed as I thought. This was a couple years ago and things may have changed but this is my personal opinion.

1971 Datsun 521 ute
1994 SSS Bluebird
Previous:
2x 1964 SP310's
3x1000 Coupes, 2x1000 Wagons 2x1000 Sedans
1963+64 320 pickup
1970 Datsun 521

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:55 pm 

I've currently got my 240z on historic rego through the Adelaide Antique Auto club (AAA). Unfortunately the Nissan Datsun car club don't do it. The sporting car club do, but membership is very expensive compared to the AAA, I think around $150 compared to $30, at a guess. I'm looking around for another option as the AAA club is nowhere near where I currently live, and the average age of the club members seems like it's about 70 (no one tell them I said that). If any ones got any other options let me know. Might be worth calling the historic vehicle register and asking for options?

their details if your interested-
ADELAIDE ANTIQUE AUTO CLUB (SA)
PO Box 363 Plympton SA 5038
Contact: Steve McNicol Phone: 08 8255 9446 Fax: 08 8287 0696

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:39 pm 

Thanks guys. Will look into this next week. AAA is close to me, and events etc (depending on what they are I suppose) are not really of interest. Maybe a hillclimb or 2 in the ute would be fun.

JD

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:37 pm 

I've got to say (regrettably) I've had the same lackluster experience with the NDCCSA. I'm still a member, but far from active (partially due to the abovementioned lack of email comms).

On the topic of historic rego - how stock does a car have to be, and what year?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:33 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

The Motor Vehicles Act 1959 provides the following definitions:

A historic vehicle:

•is a vehicle where 30 years or more have lapsed since 1 January of the year in which the vehicle was manufactured
•has not been modified from its original design to any significant extent.

Source= http://www.sa.gov.au/subject/Transport, ... e+vehicles

http://www.fhmcsa.org.au/Assets/Variations.pdf

Last edited by nick on Mon May 10, 2010 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 12:41 am 

We are in the process of renewing our constitution with the next step gaining historic registration capabilities, so keep on the email list for updates.

I am the vice president of the NDCCSA and in charge of sending the emails out, it you are not getting them, you can simply email me at contact@nissandatsuncarclubsa.com to make sure you are on the list.

We have monthly club meetings which is the main way we communicate and get updated about upcoming events.
Unfortunately many people don't bother to attend these meetings and as there are so many events that members can participate in, it would simply be a full time job for someone to communicate this via press release emails.
We simply do what we can as unpaid volunteers around our jobs, preparing and racing cars and organising events.

Our club meetings are now and have been for a while at The Arkaba, in a more social environment then where we were at the CAMS office, members have found it much more enjoyable with a meal before a more relaxed meeting and DVD or YouTube vids after.

The most disappointing thing is people bitching on forums about issues without actually attending club meetings and having a say in the appropriate forum, clubs are made up of members whom are all equal in a say, if someone has a problem you bring it up at a club meeting and the committee do what they can to address and fix the problem. If your club is doing something badly or that you are not happy with, get in there and make a difference.