Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:47 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: sixtwenty daily
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:41 pm 

yeo

i picked this up a little while back (yep, off dan :D), plans are just to drive it. first i need to fix it, so i can get it rego'd in my name, then i can have some more fun with it (read; slam it) :D for now just pulling it apart, cleaning/resealing and putting it all back together. and hunting for RWC items to fix, there's pleeeeeeennnttttyyyyy

ive got a thread on ratsun with more progress pics;
http://community.ratsun.net/topic/20232-79-620-daily/

here it is, in all its run down glory;
[ img ]

looking like this now;
[ img ]

stuff ive done so far;
removed towkit
number plate is held in with rivets now, not an ocky strap :D
replaced shocks front and rear
bought headunit and 6x9's destined for the doors
cleaned manifolds (restudded em), sump, tappet cover, timing cover, replaced all seals (only to have the damn things leak straight after. RTV next, DONT USE CORK!)
removed coolant fan, installed spare thermo instead
front main replaced
waterpump replaced
thermostat replaced
araldited radiator mounts back on
made blanking plate for mechanical fuel pump, elec pump was already fitted
tidied fuel pump wiring (was a twist job)
made EGR blanking plate
fixed carb running rich
replaced rear gearbox seal
cleaned gearbox (1/4in of nastiness all over it :()
got a ratsun sticker :D

stuff left to do;
cab rust repair, sills and mounts are pretty bad
tub rust repait, not so bad but definately needs doing
tailshaft needs new rubber bit for center bearing
diff needs a look
leaf spring shackles need new bushes
rear main needs doing (got it apart, didnt have the right seal in the seal kit i bought :()
brake booster needs a cutback and repaint
enginebay needs a clean, hopefully keeping RWC man happy
radiator needs replacing after i drilled a tube (intelligent thing to do, wouldnt you agree?)
fuel tank has a crack in it, needs welding up (ill fill it with water first :D)
engine needs re-resealing :evil:
dehook the tub, keeps the bulletside line and i can make loose hooks so i can still tie stuff down
while im at it with bodywork ill smooth out whatever i find
could do with a bench seat
gearshift linkages need tightening up, not sure how yet
box needs new fluid
i miiight need a front passengers side wheelbearing, depends if RWC pick it up or not
exhaust has a few leaks and a broken mount
i need to make an airbox, or adapt the one i have
speedo is broke
fuel guage doesnt work (which is cool, i found why :D wires led to a leaf spring, not the fuel float)
temp guage i dont think works, so ill look at that
i sorta want a rev guage, but the clock i found amongst spares is pretty cool so might just go with that
ill probs have more to do than ive noticed so far

all in all, lots to do, not heaps of time to do it in :D ive been working on it for between 3-8 hours every day though so hopefully wont be long till its going once more

once its in my name and registered, plans are to;
slam it, wind down the front and flip leafs rear, or make some blocks for it see how it goes
disc front if i can manage it
new exhaust
id like an L series in there someday, L16 with 20 internals (engineering ;)) and a nice set of carbs and extractors
i might make a hard tonneu cover out of steel to stop kents pinchin stuff out of the back
i sorta like the earlier front grille, so if i find one ill swap it out

other than that, just gunna drive it places!

Last edited by Gary510 on Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: sixtwenty daily
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:45 pm 

this is how it is in the garage at the moment;

looks tuff like this i reckon :D
[ img ]

tubs off, ready for lots of work tomorrow. hoping to dehook all of it, and at least clean up the top rails by the end of the day. i cant remember if my steel man is open tomorrow, if he is ill get some sheet to start repairing bits, if not ill wait till monday then get into it
[ img ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:35 pm 

Looking the goods.
What I was going to do with it :(
C-channel the chassis in the rear while the tubs off :D
Pull that diff centre out, inspect, sell it for a couple hundred and replace it with a 3.9 or 4.1 centre.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:54 pm 

I like it, looks alot better condition than most 620's you see around.

L series is the way to go, I'm guessing there isn't much to fitting them as they come standard with one in the USA.

Look forward to updates!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:38 am 

i'll do it proud dan :D plenty time in future to get another one. was gunna ask about diffs actually, i dunno what the go is with this diff business :( what should i be looking around for at wreckers for the right replacement center? navs or? i had my eye on it today but got carried away with the tub, might open it up tomorrow come to think of it

i dont see any 620's around :( i guess there'd be more in country places. l series is easy for this one luckily :D earlier ones its harder

ive been working on it today, i managed to dehook it and fill in holes in the top rails (some i made, most were left by the canopy it had) i deleted a few things from the tailgate and welded a few of the holes in the wheel arches as well, and removed the soft tonneau rod bracket things. just need to cut out nasty bits in the floor and weld up all of the drain holes so i can make my own in other places and make sure it doesnt rust over time

[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

i figured a reasonably easy way to pull the cab too which is one less drama to worry about, definately getting that off once the tub is done

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:19 am 

this is all happening to mine also real soon my tub is gettin done now then off the road and i can do the cab

hillman imp- cruiser
Volvo - bagged at all 4 corners
S2 bluey ca18det
1000 4dr

garage 910

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:39 pm 

updates?
Got a mint complete dash here if your keen Gary, guy who wanted it pulled out.
Let me know before I ebay it

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:55 pm 

ooooooooh dash as in instrument cluster or dash as in whole dashboard? if its dashboard im give you a call :D

update wise;
ive been spending most of the time cleaning up the tub and messing about. ive cut back all the welded up holes in the top rails and welded whats left of the headache bar onto the rest of the tub and filled the gap between. not perfect but looks alright
ive been cutting back paint in places to mask cracks, to find most of the panels are under a good 1-2 mm or so of bog. just gunna patch it to keep RWC happy, then slowly cut it all back to steel and replace/repair as i go once its on the road, keeping it on the road whilst doing so
ive been paying attention to some rust in the tub, a few spots on the bed (the rest ill just treat), and its quite nasty at the front of the tub so that whole section will need a replace. ive got the sheet kickin around so its just a matter of doing it, but im still cutting it out at the mo, ive been distracted by working on drivetrain
[ img ]

ive;
re-resealed timing cover and sump and waterpump with RTV (again; DONT USE CORK) so thats all back together and happy
removed clutch and flywheel for a look, both looked sweet, both are back on
had a fair crack at replacing the rear main (rope) which meant dropping the crank :\ thats all back together now, hopefully it doesnt bloody leak
replaced main bearings while i was there for the princely sum of 50 clams
[ img ]

box is back on, neutral return spring is where it should be so gearstick feels a liiittttlle better, still pretty sloppy. i might turn some fresh bushes to tighten it up, but after rego
i snapped the gearbox breather whilst removing the box (undo the exhaust at the headers first... just do it :D), so made a new billet one, thats all sweet now
replaced most of the bolts in and about the place, 4-5 clams per type adds up after a while :( annoying cos most of the many many bolts ive got spare are metric, not tricky fine and coarse!
also re soldered and taped up the reverse switch, the wiring broke off pretty easy :(
just today ive had a look at the radiator, i caused a couple leaks whilst putting my thermo on (thanks to the bolts, i made em pinch the tubes, cable tie sides were fine though :D). so pulled some fins out (most of the top had broken fins anywho), isolated the holes and drowned em in araldite so they hopefully dont leak again. im testing it again tonight see if it worked

on another note i went for a spin to find me some tub liner, after seeing herculiner and its price and another one (bulldog or pit bull or something i cant remember) i thought man this sh*t isnt cheap. handsome americans came to my rescue with rustoleum road warrior and the stuff i ended up buying called POL raptor or something. jeep and F series people seemed to like both options very much and claim some good durable results so i got some. its a black textured finish that once cured is hard and good for having stuff dragged across it etc. looks goooood, cant wait to get it down, stripping the tub will be interesting though
[ img ]

once tub is sweet and its all back together, im swinging by a mates house to borrow my engine crane ( :P ) and another mates house to borrow his so i can pull the cab in my garage without too much stress. from what i can see, cab needs a fair whack of work. its gunna be a pretty big trip to get both cranes though, so we'll see how the old datto does for a bit of a long haul :D its got a fresh service innit so should be happy enough

all in all its gettin there, still working on it every day or doin stuff for it every day. tub wont be far off, then gotta get the cab off and repaired, after that will just about be ready

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:15 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Nice ute Gary, I saw this at Dan's a few times. I would have liked it for myself but too big a project for me at this point :( also, if the door trims are really good please don';t cut them up for speakers! Find some sad ones or make new ones!

Otherwise, looks good. It should be a fun daily. For a diff, these have the H190 I believe. So find yourself a series 3 Bluebird sedan and you can get a 3.9:1 centre from that. Or I think the auto wagons have a 4:11:1.

The fleet:

Australia:
'80 200B GX - the green200b - hibernating
'81 RX-7 - 12A extend port - daily
'74 RX-2 - 13B bridgeport - cruiser

Europe:
'93 200SX - CA18DET - tourer
Dato200B wrote:
Green200B has forgotten more about 200Bs than we will ever know.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:27 am 

awesome i havent pulled the diff yet but when i do it ill look into finding another one

im keeping the trims as they are, they're in alright condition but beige :( im making steel ones instead with a bit of padded fabric ive got lying around. speaking of which i just remembered i cut up the sheet destined for door trims so i could make a replacement bit for the tub. i forgot i was saving it for trims DAMMIT

not much progress since, working on the tub a bit. actually if anyone ever needs paint stripper - the goooood gel spec stuff - (and come to think of it, any sort of degreaser, silicone spray, household spirits/chemicals) hit a place in altona called advanced chemicals. i bought some quick strip as in the pic above for 27 or something clams a L, this chem place has the same stuff different colour, that works better, for 10 clams. they sell a 4L for just under $30, same as what i paid for 1L of inferior stuff! :(

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:11 am 

ive updated first post with my thread on ratsun, i update it almost every day with stuff that ive been doing

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/20232-79-620-daily/

since last post here ive finished welding in the front tub support, and the panel that goes in front of it, welded the front of the bed to the panel bit so it doesnt leak like it does from factory, freshened up both front corners of the tub, primed most of the top rails (the rest ill do when the tub is back on the right way) and begun stripping back half of the bed. the more i strip back the more i cant believe the tub is in as good a condition as it is... ive dealt with all the rust it has so far, i cant see a lot more which is rare for our tubs! the cab is going to make up for the lack of rust in the bed though... gdamn it needs a fair bit

tomoz getting more stripper, and cutting back the front of the tub one last time then a prime then maybe get the tub on the right way for some work to the tailgate :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:24 am 
Site Admin

Im enjoying this build Gary - keep it up :D

http://www.lescollinsracing.com/

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 5:45 pm 

its mostly back together now, i took it for a quick spin around the block see how its running and check for leaks etc. so far its all good, rear main is good, radiator seems to have magically fixed itself, gearbox rear seal is good, sump isnt leaking anymore

i adjusted valve tolerances a while ago to the same tolerance as a similar engine (think it was A series) but since have found the right tolerance and re-did that before i fired it up. now its lots quieter and runs a bit smoother too :D hesitates a bit on WOT at low rpm but doesnt splutter or anything so ill live with it for now

just about ready for its trip to get my crane and a mates crane, then the cab will come off for i think its last leg of repair before i go for RWC

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 12:22 am 

updates in the ratsun thread :)

quick rundown - drove to gisborne, ute went alright. was smoking pretty bad on and off like it was previously. pulled up on the way home see how oil level was doing and found that it had overheated; rad cap was releasing water which ended up all over the engine, and water was boiling in the rad. i knew what it was from, turns out my leak is back which caused the overheating :(
[ img ]

got it home ok though, with crane in tow :D pulled it apart again to get rad fixed - bursons couldnt get what i needed radiator wise (discontinued, 360ish clams) so i hit a rad repair place who is knocking up a corona radiator to suit my inlet outlet for 80-100, was sposed to have it done last friday but then said this week, hopefully pick it up tomoz. i pulled the tappet cover off again to do valve stem seals, found guides were worn pretty good, so sent the head off to get repaired, ended up needing two new valves and some work on the seats too but all fixed now :D picked it up today. ive got a slightly busted piston too but im gunna chance it with that for a while see how it goes. head bolts were a killer to find, noone had em/could get em, so i looked to the roots of J engines to find they're cousins with BMC B engines, which got me as far as finding a handsome british parts chap (err... person?) who said he might be able to find me head studs from that engine, and we confirmed they're suitable for J engines :D ill get a call tomoz or wednesday hopefully with news on that one

other than that, tomoz planning on getting radiator, and cutting back the tub a bit more and some primer to stop rusting for now, and reassembling the head ready to go on. waiting on head studs before i can put the engine together though, but will hopefully have it running and running it in this week sometime, ready to pick up the last crane before it goes off the road for the last time until RWC :D

project is still going along, just been held up with getting parts here and there :)

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 1:24 am 

more progress

still waiting for bolts which we found were suitable, just need to get them in my hands. head was sent away and got it back with new valve guides, valve seat work (and lapped), two new exhaust valves, a head face and a clean, just need bolts and it'll be back on again

i welded the taillight bezels together with a bit in the middle so it resembles the whole chrome bumper thing to kinda match the front :D its rough as but i like it

i got my crane back today too, so tomoz ill be working on getting the cab removed. dunno about having it off by tomoz but ill see how it goes. still goin :D ill have some more interesting pics soon