Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:21 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: car audio install,
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 10:17 pm 

hey this might of been covered before, did a search couldnt find anything, has anyone got any interesting or impressive idea's on cool ways to install your speakers, without cutting up the doors so much, or at least making them look good if you do :)

Jack.

(the speakers in my 1600 wernt installed so great by previous owner.)

Post subject: Re: car audio install,
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 10:37 pm 

You could cut a hole out of the card part of yr door trims the same size as the speaker without actually cutting the vinyl and then put a whole bunch of tiny holes in the vinyl. I've seen a mate do the same thing in classic cars and it comes up mint. Looks factory and works well. I'm guessing it takes a bit of skill though.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 10:57 pm 

and then how would you mount the speaker? without ripping the vinyl bit? obviously the back of the speaker needs to be in the door?

i was just wondering if anyone had mounted them anywhere else like the "kickers" trim bit inside of the front guard, or maybe above your feet under the dash, does this work or sound crap and muffled?

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 2:42 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

If anything i'd just put a pair of 6" round or 6x9, 7x10 ovals in the rear parcel shelf.
I prefer to hear the sweet sound of a datto engine at WOT personally.
Car audio is overrated...

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 8:26 am 

jackjack wrote:
and then how would you mount the speaker? without ripping the vinyl bit? obviously the back of the speaker needs to be in the door?

I was just wondering if anyone had mounted them anywhere else like the "kickers" trim bit inside of the front guard, or maybe above your feet under the dash, does this work or sound crap and muffled?
Sorry. I should have explained some more. You mount the speaker in the actual door, not the door trim. You can mount yr speakers anywhere but you have to set them up right. Having them in the door will always sound better as you are using the accoustics of the door cavity to help bring out the sound, having them under the dash will be a little muffled but can work too if you use the right speaker and set it up correctly.

As for car audio being overrated, if you lover music like me (and yr missus hates yr music) then you have a kick arse stereo in yr car. I often just go cruising to listen to some tunes. I wouldn't have it in my racer/fun car but definately in a cruiser.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 11:02 am 
Old Digger

nick wrote:
If anything I'd just put a pair of 6" round or 6x9, 7x10 ovals in the rear parcel shelf.
I prefer to hear the sweet sound of a datto engine at WOT personally.
Car audio is overrated...
Plus 1 in all of that... Front speakers don't belong in a datto. I have some tweeters in the front for a bit of intelligibility and 6 x 9's in the back. Job done :)

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 11:48 am 

Quote:
Sorry. I should have explained some more. You mount the speaker in the actual door, not the door trim.
but if the speaker is behind the door trim, and mounted straight to the door, won't the back of the speaker be 'inside' the door and maybe get in the way of the window mechanism?

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 5:43 pm 

shallow mount speakers of a small diametre?

i agree, your not going to get good sound quality in such an old car without going to alot of effort, so just go
with the 6x9's or whatever

The 1600

Recommended traders: Nissanman, pro240c, 2door510, Datsport, mkyle, Green510, Um_510, jdmdatsun510, Ludachris

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:29 pm 

Sigh. Here i was really looking forward to putting front speakers in my Datto, and you guy's go and tell me that they're not welcome in the front! Racists.

Nah, in all seriousness, If you were theoretically going to put front speakers in the car. Where would you run the wires. Just through the front A pillar just below the hinge and into the door? Wrap it with some of that coil wire stuff? Or is there a better option? Not a lot of room between the doors and the frame on a 16 for excess wires to be placed there.

Any suggestions anyone?

Previous Car: Restored Green 1972 Datsun 510, Hot L18

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:51 pm 

i have had speakers in the front doors in the past, bad seals = rusty speakers too.

my idea for the new build, is to angle mount two small speakers in the original centre dash area, or just tweeters...
tight squeeze but, just to get some sound up front.

or you could mount some up behind the grilles at the base of the windscreen, would have to look at space, but it could be possible.

because i have the whole car apart, i'll be wiring everything up before any trim goes in, so i'll work it out when i get to it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:52 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

You could possible make or buy a box for whichever front speakers you decide to run, and then mount those under the dash? It would be a bit of work but may well be worth it. Or, just do as I am doing, and run no front speakers and some nice ones on the rear parcel shelf. I don't listen to music that often when I am driving so I'm happy with that.

Something else to consider is finding a pair or door trims that have already had speaker holes cut in them and then use those? Saves you butchering your nice ones. I have a spare pair of black front door trims for my 200B that have already had 6" speaker holes cut, in case I ever want front speakers. It took me ages to find some uncut ones!

The fleet:

Australia:
'80 200B GX - the green200b - hibernating
'81 RX-7 - 12A extend port - daily
'74 RX-2 - 13B bridgeport - cruiser

Europe:
'93 200SX - CA18DET - tourer
Dato200B wrote:
Green200B has forgotten more about 200Bs than we will ever know.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:08 pm 

i was looking at the same thing yesterday, those side vents on a 1600 look perfect for speakers, but mean no heating in winter.
i might stick to rear 6x9's, possibly some tweeters in the centre dash pointing left & right.. so i can hear it.. i'll try rears first though

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:03 pm 

Red510 wrote:
I was looking at the same thing yesterday, those side vents on a 1600 look perfect for speakers, but mean no heating in winter.
Those vents don't put out heat?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:24 pm 

Had a similar thought when doing my install, didn't want to cut up the door trims but wanted some sort of front 'fill'. Ended up building some kick panels to accomodate a pair of 4" speakers, tucked up reasonably high so when you look in through the window you can't see them - but when sitting in the car around 1/2 to 2/3 of the speaker shows itself so you get some unmuffled front stage.

Being 4" they are never going to set the world on fire or win a sound off, but are acceptable with a pair of 6x9's in the rear parcel
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
CIMG4441.jpg [ 138.55 KiB | Viewed 2101 times ]
Still might try a MKII version if I get bored

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:10 am 

got any better pics mate, looks like a good setup