Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 7:44 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 3:06 pm 

Guys

Pulled apart all front end suspension/steering, replacing all joints, but found something that I am unsure is correct.

The front lower control arms, they are adjustable...l. however, where the threaded adjustable part comes out of the control arm to meet the frame, they are both bent. Not much, but definitely noticable. Are they ment to be like this, or should the adjustable/threaded part run dead straight out?

Not to sure if it is the threaded part that is bent, or the part where it screws into.

They might be Maddat adjustable... they could have taken a pounding on the race track. Not going to waste my time powdercoating if they are knacked and nee replacing.

If they do need replacing, what do you guys think of these?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Datsun-5 ... ccessories

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 10:54 pm 

If you want to spend the money, those arms on ebay are prob the best you can buy. Pillow ball joints and a much stronger than standard design means you wont have any problems with them, unless you unfortunately receive a pair that were made on friday arvo or have a fabrication defect.

As for your arms, the adjustable thread that extends out IS meant to be dead straight. bents arms will most likely effect camber and steering. i have the mad dat adjustables still new not fitted and the are dead straight. Think about it, how is a bent threaded bar supposed to wind in/out the arm anyway? Look at the Mad dat website to see if you have those items.

Just to think about, look up the 'tech toy tuning' adjutable castor rods on ebay seeing as you have your front end apart. $205, and they are twice as thick as the original, have pillow ball joints and are fully adjustable. I pulled my original rods out the other day at the panel beaters, and they are just as bent as a banana. Just make sure that the holes in the castor rod housing have not elongated due to excess wear. weld them up if they are. also spend the extra thirty bucks and get a set of super pro castor rod bushes.

let me know how you go..

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 8:32 am 

I thought as much.. they should be straight!!

I have already bought the 'tech toy tuning' adjustable castor rods... but didnt think I would be needing the control arms as well!!

Mine do look like the Maddat ones 110%.

I think I will just go out and buy the tech toy tuning control arms.. buy once, cry once I say!!

I wonder if the holes for the swaybar will line up on the tech toy control arms?

Cheers

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 10:45 pm 

yeah pretty sure they will, most items like these are designed to be a 'bolt on item'. if any mods or fabrication is required, and they dont say so, you can usually argue for a successful refund.

i had to drill out two broken studs for my sway bar mount, and whilst under there having a look, i reakon my mad dat 22mm sway bar wont go near the castor rods.

just check the holes in the castor rod housing like i mentioned.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 4:09 pm 

DATO4 wrote:
yeah pretty sure they will, most items like these are designed to be a 'bolt on item'. if any mods or fabrication is required, and they dont say so, you can usually argue for a successful refund.

I had to drill out two broken studs for my sway bar mount, and whilst under there having a look, I reakon my mad dat 22mm sway bar wont go near the castor rods.

just check the holes in the castor rod housing like I mentioned.
what shape swaybar/what castor rods?
I have the maddat 24mm "trust sump" swaybar and it hit my LJ torana castor rods. I have since changed to T3 castor rods and it doesnt hit.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 9:14 pm 

Thanks guys... both tech toy caster and control arms bought!!! Will see how they are when they get here!!

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:14 pm 

Techno Toy stuff is pretty good, probably better for competition use than anything you will get in AU, which is usually made to a price because the cheaparse Datto attitude persists here.