Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:58 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:10 pm 

Roof Installation Datsun 510
can someone please advise of a procedure for fitment of a new roof lining to a datsun 1600 please??

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:43 pm 
Old Digger

You will need to remove the front and rear screens to do it properly

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:26 pm 

They are removed, I need tips on fitting the new lining.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:45 pm 
Old Digger

I found the best way is work from the centre out. Do a bit towards the rear then move to the front and do a bit and so on until its all stretched out nice. Use big bull dog clips to hold it all in place. When you are happy with the way it looks break out the glue and glue it on bit by bit and put the bull dog clips back on until it's all dry.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:49 pm 

Roof instalation for anyone giving it a crack... Not the most fun job but patience will sufface

Rods must be in correct order, to get best fit

Use contact adhesive, the yellow stuff. Make sure you paint it on both surfaces with a small brush and let it get really tacky before bringing together. Just glue around door and window frames... Dont stick to inside steel it should from the ceiling rods and be taunt to the window rubbers and pinch weld around the door jams

MYDATTO is correct with the bull dog clips. This is the easiest way ive found, as you can work in stages or come back and pull it tight in spots before you glue it. In most cars where theres a suspended headlining there is a small hook thats welded into the rear window frame center, use this to hook your last rod, this sets it up perfectly and the rest pulls tight towards the front

Always find your centers and tighten there back to front. Then work the sides down use extra glue on threads where uve trimmed it so it doesnt unravel down the track

In the rear pillar, cover any voids with card board and racing tape to give you a smooth surface. the panel is held up and reverse backtacked with a small section of cardboard, put a thin foam in and then pull it all down and glue in

Do the rest of the pillars by just folding the tops and glueing in

Trim up and sit back and begin drinking...!

I have patterns for 4 door 1600 if anyone is interested in a hood. PM me with that you want, many options available

Used in over 10 cars now, good fit and quality materials unlike cheap ebay rubbish

Good luck

Simon :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:35 pm 

Has anyone considered making a hoodlining like they are made on newer vehicles? Not sure how to do it, but thought has crossed my mind.

It's basically a moulded (the tricky part) bit of cardboardy like substance with the trim glued to it. 'Paper mache' skills required?
Alternatively, does anyone use an extra lining under their hoodlining? It looks like something used to be glued to the underside of the 1600 roof.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:34 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

03stiwrx wrote:
Alternatively, does anyone use an extra lining under their hoodlining? It looks like something used to be glued to the underside of the 1600 roof.
yeah you can use the same insulation as you put under the carpet. Adhesive holds it to the roof mostly and the roof lining rods also squeeze up under it aswell...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:07 pm 

Hopefully this pic works, this is my headlining from my car

[IMG]http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/vv13 ... ure189.jpg[/IMG]

I have some others but ill ned to search a lil more

Simon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:41 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

[ img ]
There you go Simon.
I've got pics of your roof lining in my car but black doesnt come out too well in pics...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:01 pm 

Thanks Nick,

I can never get pics to load up, thats why I gave up updating stuff on here

Nicks was one of the first I ever made up and turned out awesome considering its in a 2 door and we had a bit of guess work, but as you said black is hard to show up in pics

Ive since pulled mine out again due to constant paint touch-ups making it red :roll: . Hopefully another will be back in soon. Ive got it all ready just sick of things getting trashed while i work on other stuff and my shed is contantly filling with dust from the padock

Ill link some more in soon if you dont mind correcting the links haha

Simon :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:26 pm 

DATWILLDECM8 wrote:
In the rear pillar, cover any voids with card board and racing tape to give you a smooth surface. the panel is held up and reverse backtacked with a small section of cardboard, put a thin foam in and then pull it all down and glue in

Do the rest of the pillars by just folding the tops and glueing in
Hey mate

just did my main roof section, and have a question.
do you have pics of this foam/cardboard business on the C pillars?

it would be most appreciated.

cheers

Ryan