Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:07 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:26 pm 

hey all...
Does anyone have a majority of their suspension components in super pro bushes? I've never driven an older car that will have super pro bushes in front and rear suspension parts as well as planning to have 16-17 inch wheels with low profile tyres. Wondering how much road noise these bushes transfer into the interior? Any comments from ppl with super pro bushes in their 1600s would be appreciated :-)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:45 pm 

Interesting question. The way I've been thinking of it lately is that most cabin noise comes from panels vibrating and that this vibration is caused by sound from the tyres on the road... so: tyres, air, panels, air again and then your ears.

I think this can be reduced by attaching mass to the panels (bitumen sounds deadener) as well as the layers of fluffy material and then hard sound reflecting layers on top like in most factory cars.

Maybe some vibration is transfered to the panels through the suspension too... I'm not sure.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:13 am 

tyres will be the major deciding factor with road noise in your set-up.....

urathane bushes may add a bit of road noise (which ive never really noticed) but tyres definatley will....
stay clear of directional tyre if you want minimal road noise. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:26 pm 

my daily is a BA Falcon XR6 turbo, with the factory diff/rear end clunk. every 'ford expert' i've asked about replacing the diff cradle bushes with super pro items, when i get the diff done, craps on for ten minutes on how two bushes in my rear sub frame with destroy my ride comfort and transmit so much road noise.

just wanted to ask because the falcon is a nice modern car, compared to an old school dato with tinging panels like thomas said. and i have bought every bush for front and rear suspension for the dato in super pro.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:18 pm 

I'm currently replacing all my rubber bushes with super-pro.
I'd tell you if there's a difference, but I've removed all my carpet and sound deadening too so it's not exactly a fair comparison :P

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:21 pm 

ive done numerous complete front/rear suspension rebuilds using urethane bushes and have never noticed any extra road noise

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:32 pm 

DATO4 wrote:
my daily is a BA Falcon XR6 turbo, with the factory diff/rear end clunk. every 'ford expert' I've asked about replacing the diff cradle bushes with super pro items, when I get the diff done, craps on for ten minutes on how two bushes in my rear sub frame with destroy my ride comfort and transmit so much road noise.
Im definitely no ford expert but its true mate, ive fitted super pro diff cradle bushes to a customers ba falcon and the noise that was transmitted through the rear end was just bullshit. It sounded like a combination of wheel bearings and diff bearing noise rolled into one huge rumbling vibrating mess.

On the other hand you will have no dramas with this sort of thing in a datto, ive re bushed two 1600's and had no problems road noise. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:49 pm 

With all the sound deadening in new cars and especially BA's, I can't see it making much of a difference. But i've never done it so i wouldn't know.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:23 pm 

you chaps might know already, but there are a couple things to keep in mind with urethane

they shouldnt be used with trailing arms or castor rods, these bushes are supposed to flex, its a part of what they do. solid urethane replacements wont flex, which is a bad thing for these kinds of bushes
ive got urethane replacement bushes for my rear trailing arms in another car, the solution was to only replace one end of the trailing arm with urethane and leave the other end as it normally is, seems to work fine. when i adjust height i can hear it creak

the other thing is urethane bushes need to be lubricated now and then with white lithium grease or whatever the manufacturer recommends. if you dont, they can bind which causes creaking, one case ive seen personally is with an s13, you can feel the creak through the seat. they also squeak sometimes if not lubricated from time to time. ive heard binding bushes can affect handling adversely, i dont have experience in that though so i dunno

they do increase road noise in the cabin, whether or not its noticeable over the other noises in the car i spose depends on the car. rubber is a good insulator for that kind of thing which is part of the reason its used from factory, urethane on the other hand... isnt

the important thing to remember is urethane isnt always an upgrade, sometimes its better to keep it as it was from factory :) not a lot of choice though nowadays hey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:56 am 

fair comments!!
i realise i cant just bolt up an FJ20ET with a huge african land snail hanging off the side, it to my thirty year old dato without upgrading important areas, such as suspension first. i think upgrading not only includes coil overs, stronger components etc, but also the bushes that support these stronger components.
i really cant see how standard rear cross member, trailing arm, moustache bar etc bushes are going to put i up with the punishment im going to dish out on this poor car once its running and trying to take off down the quarter on a hot sticky day. every little bit will count if i'm chasing that expensive ten second time slip.

so my point is that even though i want the quick times, this car will be road regsitered, and i would like to still enjoy a cruise on a saturday night with mates in the back seat, and not feel like i'm driving a tank through the afghanistan desert. i know i cant have the best of both worlds, just wanted some feedback before i start putting it back together after it gets back from paint.

i might install an auto greaser full of lithium grease gary510 LOL.

Feel free to keep the comments going :)