Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:15 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:06 pm 

I may be barking up the wrong tree, but could there be a "flyback" problem with the low impedence injectors, consider it like a signal reverbing back to the ECU giving a fluffy reading, this seems to be a problem with some systems and low imp' injectors

I dont know how easy this may be, but have you tried seperating the injector harness wires and metering whats happening to injector 1 (for example, pick any injector), during cranking, Its fairly easy done using a scope or a good DMM.

Are the injectors firing? I dont know how the S/W works for a motec, but do have have to set up PWM (pulse width modulation) for low impedence injectors, or is it self recognising (plug and play?).

If PWM needs to be set, it sounds like the threshold may be setup with too little % causing the injectors to pretty much sit there and not open.

hopefully you get her up and firing.

rgds Eddie

Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Post subject: Lack of progress report
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:20 pm 

Thanks guys for the ideas...I will look into them. I know it's not a problem with fuel pressure....you would know if the pumps turned off while cranking....you would suddenly be able to hear yourself think again - Damn they are loud!

Here's what I got figured out tonight....

1. Checked for voltage at 'Ref' input - it has 5volts! Mark at Motec told me it should be Zero when the engine is not cranking. Any voltage at all would be interpreted by the ECU as the engine turning over.

2. Also checked the 'Sync' input..... Zero volts here...I would assume this is correct.

NB: There is a power and an Earth going to the Dizzy already (Pins 26 & 27) so I assume that the 'ref' should read zero volts like the 'sync' when not turning over - can some one confirm this for me?

Also, when I had the multimeter on the 'Ref' wire, the injector test worked..... as soon as the probe was taken off the 'ref ' wire the injector test crashed again, as the ECU thought the engine was spinning....weird.

I also tried unplugging the Dizzy and got the following result.

1. Injector test worked fine - did not crash.

2. Still had a reading of 5 volts at the 'ref' wire..... so why did the test work?

On the injector side of things -

1. Resistance at injectors is 1.1 ohms.

2. Resistance atthe ECU plug was hard to get a good reading. lowest was 1.4 ohms on all..... however higher readings were also recorded if the loom was moved ...... anywhere from 1.8 to 3 ohms. Would that be enough to drain power from the injectors - enough to stop them from opening fully?

Still chasing them gremlins!

When the Flag drops........... the Bullshit stops
Go hard or go home!