Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 9:10 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:55 am 

Just wondering if many people have fitted a swaybar to the rear of their cars.

I installed two on the back of my old pulsar and it made a world of difference, went from understeering everywhere to being quite tail happy when you want it.

If nobody has any suggestions for a suitable bar i'll just measure it up and have a look around a wreckers...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:21 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

I fited one to my track 1600 - went from slight predictable understeer to more neutral handling. Downside was that when the rear did let go, it did so very quickly and was harder to catch.

I don't know if you'll find anything to fit from other models, but there are a few aftermarket ones around. I'd go for an "over the top" type of fitting rather than an "under the trailing arms" style one as they hang pretty low and are succeptible to being ripped off on tree roots when reversin g down your driveway (that's my experience anyway :roll: )

EDIT: You can actually see it hanging low on the left hand side in my avatar

1965 SP310 Fairlady
1966 SP311 Fairlady

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:02 pm 

My friend has one on his race car

[ img ]

I can't comment on how much better it is with it on or without (came fitted already), but the car does handle really well.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:12 pm 

Whiteline were about the only company I could find with an off the shelf unit these days. Well worth fitting on a circuit/tarmac car, but probably a bit over the top for a street car. I fitted adjustable front and rear (up from just an 18mm front) and dropped 3 sec on the track straight up...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:14 pm 

Sadly you may find it hard to find a rear bar nowadays. I purchased the last Selby kit about 6 months ago, before they closed down. Neither Whiteline or Pedders do bars for 1600 any longer, as far as I'm aware.

There is a place in Canberra called Capital Steering and Suspension who, I believe, will custom bend you a bar. However I'm not sure of the material, quality or heat treating, but it may be worth giving them a call.