Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:14 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Should Jai be banned?
Yes. He's a pain in the arse. 73%  73%  [ 27 ]
No. 27%  27%  [ 10 ]
Total votes: 37
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:51 pm 

Having finally decided to return Alistair's 200B, the NSW Datsun, I happened upon a Yellow 200B, that used to belong to Zanvour's Great Grandmother. However, whilst Zanvour wished to purchase it, certain reasons, *cough* pessimistic elderly citizens *cough* prevented him from doing so. So, I decided to save it from certain death *cough* wrecker's yard.

Here are some photos of it, after a wash and polish. These were taken in Green 200B's driveway.

[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

My plans were initally to dissect the car totally, and put a push-rod Holden V8, with a trimatic auto gearbox behind it, just to go along with the Australian tradition of ruining motor vechicles. However, having noticed it's originality, and the fact that it actually goes faster than Alistair's modified Green 200B, I decided not to butcher the car, and leave it Grandma spec. Basically, any modifications done, will still allow the car to be returned to stock, in order to preserve the car's history.

So far, I have applied a manly new grill and headlight protectors.

[ img ]
[ img ]

At the moment, for roadworthy, it requires a new exhaust, new tie-rods, new windscreen, new tyres and rear light lenses.
Some of these parts have been, or will be kindly donated by Green200B, and his gigantic stockpile of random 200B spare parts.

[ img ]
BM510 wrote:
I'm a driver.

Last edited by James May on Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:48 pm 

sweet ride it will clean up nice , i was thinking a v8 us well when doing up my 200b sx but i decided against it aswell :wink: its good you got a mate like green 200b thats willing to help :thumbsup: how much did you pick it up for? :chaching: .

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:58 pm 

it looks like a good engine bay wash is due too

1971 1600, mild L18, 5 speed

All I want is less to do, more time to do it and higher pay for not getting it done.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:43 pm 

hey that 200b looks familiar. i wonder where i've seen i before....

sadly, the 120y blew up and the old sss was sold to a better home.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:58 pm 

dont just stop at the parts required for roadworthy

once it's back on the road, do a complete maintenace service, all fluids, plugs, oils, filters, repack wheel bearings, replace leaking seals, compression test etc, to know what condition the car is in, if all done by yourself, then it'll really only cost you time/ say a few weekends. Better than any mod as it allows you some peace of mind knowing your car should be more reliable and gives you an indication of it's previous life/ future condition

Then follow it up with suspension work and better brakes, both things i have always done on all my cars before power improvements

best of luck with whatever you plan to do with it

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:00 am 

I Like Drift wrote:
dont just stop at the parts required for roadworthy

once it's back on the road, do a complete maintenace service, all fluids, plugs, oils, filters, repack wheel bearings, replace leaking seals, compression test etc, to know what condition the car is in, if all done by yourself, then it'll really only cost you time/ say a few weekends. Better than any mod as it allows you some peace of mind knowing your car should be more reliable and gives you an indication of it's previous life/ future condition

Then follow it up with suspension work and better brakes, both things i have always done on all my cars before power improvements

best of luck with whatever you plan to do with it
Already done Oil, filters, rear brakes, flushed the radiator. I'm trying to do the cheap stuff first. And keep the car running. It also came with a nasty wiring fault, but that's fixed too.
yellow1600 wrote:
it looks like a good engine bay wash is due too
I did that the day after we took the photos...
200b sx wrote:
how much did you pick it up for? :chaching: .
$600 with 4 months rego.
zanvour wrote:
hey that 200b looks familiar. i wonder where i've seen i before....
Funny about that...

[ img ]
BM510 wrote:
I'm a driver.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:57 pm 

600 bucks cant complain with that i got my 200b sss coupe for the same price and it didnt even have a motor :lol: good kuck with it all mate :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:28 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Ah. another far-away Datsun saved! This one will NOT be molested, or damaged, otherwise NSW Datsun will find himself without any limbs. The car will need some work, but I think it will be a reliable daily for sometime, since it still hasn't missed a beat. I think it was well looked-after until a couple of years ago.

The fleet:

Australia:
'80 200B GX - the green200b - hibernating
'81 RX-7 - 12A extend port - daily
'74 RX-2 - 13B bridgeport - cruiser

Europe:
'93 200SX - CA18DET - tourer
Dato200B wrote:
Green200B has forgotten more about 200Bs than we will ever know.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:30 pm 

200b sx wrote:
600 bucks cant complain with that i got my 200b sss coupe for the same price and it didnt even have a motor :lol: good kuck with it all mate :thumbsup:
Thanks man!
I'm pretty happy to have got it for $600, it's cheap for a running car with rego. Few small problems, will have to spend another $500 at least for roadworthy... but I don't mind.

[ img ]
BM510 wrote:
I'm a driver.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:05 pm 

yeah thats nothing hey least you will have a decent car in the end :thumbsup: but 500 you got to spend more than that its a datsun spoil her :lol: have you seen my 200b sx ,Green 200b knows about it .check it out and tell me what you think . Iam always after some feedback on her. keep us all posted on how yours goes though. cheers :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:27 pm 

Had an interesting problem last night. The car was driving like it was out of petrol, then stopped, with a quarter of a tank still left in it. I thought maybe the gauge was faulty, and a random guy in a Daewoo gave me a lift to a petrol station. I got 5 litres of petrol, fueled it up and everything was ok again. Got about 50 metres down the road, car stalls in the middle of a roundabout, and won't start.

About 30 seconds later, the cops pull up behind me. I explained the problem, they checked my license, then pushed me out of the roundabout and left me in a carpark. They didn't look too hard at the car, thankfully, and they didn't fine or defect me. Good to see some kind police officers.

Anyway, my brother and his friends showed up about 5 minutes later, and we managed to push start the car, and drive off. All the way home, the car would randomly loose power, and generally behave like the engine was getting no petrol.

So, i'm guessing it's either a Carby, Fuel pump, or Fuel line problem. Anyone able to help?

[ img ]
BM510 wrote:
I'm a driver.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:24 pm 

checked all fuel lines are in good condition, no leaks, the fuel filter is new and hasn't gotten blocked from something, then look at the carby

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:42 pm 

sounds like a blocked fuel line. Use compressed air to blow back through the line to the tank and listen for a good bubbling sound

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:14 pm 

It's all fixed now, turns out the tacho green200B and myself fitted was shorting out the ignition coil somehow...

[ img ]
BM510 wrote:
I'm a driver.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:39 am 

Hey, I finally got off my lazy cheeks and uploaded the pics I took just after I bought it.

Notice green200B's datsun in the background of the first one.
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
Our "Custom" Battery holder
[ img ]
[ img ]

I don't think you can see it too well in these photos, but the paint was really horrible and faded when we took these. Came up great when we polished it though.

[ img ]
BM510 wrote:
I'm a driver.