Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:02 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:40 am 

Hey folks... Just wondering if anyone has had any dealing with Tokyo Prestige before? http://www.tokyoprestige.com.au/

I am looking at buying an M35 Stagea from them and i've never done such a thing. Only ever bought sh*t boxes off the general public.
He wants me to put down a deposit while he gets it complied which will take until early January. I suppose this is the norm but i just don't wanna get ripped. So yeah, has anyone here dealt with him or know anyone who has? Would be good to hear he's genuine. Anyway cheers. Riley.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:10 am 

G'day Riley.
I've dealt with Phil from Tokyo Prestige.
He helped import my M35 Axis.
Ask him if he is feeling any better since Japan. He was pretty sick over there!
If you are going to get it complied at the 'Import Factory', let me know as there are a few things you will have to check AFTER they work on the car. The rear of my hatch was leaking due to poor sealing on their behalf. Their workmanship isn't cheap ($110 an hour), and i'm not overly impressed. If you want to get the car RWC, get your local mechanic to do it as he will be cheaper! Also I recommend when you get the car RWC, change ALL fluids. water/engine oil/trans oil/brake fluid etc.

Phil's good, but I wouldn't recommend the Import Factory to do the RWC.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:18 pm 

Sweet :) The car is already complied in oz, just waiting on the plates. I think the missus is happy to let them do the RWC, as it's simpler for her and we are buying it with RWC included in the price. As for the fluids etc, we will be getting a full service done it anyway, as we do with all vehicles we buy.

And i must say i am glad it was you tht replied as you know what you're talking bout and your opinion is highly regarded :) How is yr stag going anyway? Do they have much legroom? I'm almost 6 foot and am worried there wont be much legroom. I have an R33 and struggle to feel comfortable in it when driving it hard, i imagine the stag will be the same.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:49 pm 

Stag is going great. Leg room is pretty good in the M35. not sure about the C34. I reckon you'll be right though.
They go pretty hard! Nothing like an auto stalled up and a boosted motor at the lights!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:22 am 
Guru

SR20Datsun wrote:
Stag is going great. Leg room is pretty good in the M35. not sure about the C34. I reckon you'll be right though.
They go pretty hard! Nothing like an auto stalled up and a boosted motor at the lights!
Tracy has swapped her daily driver( R31 wagon) for a 350 PM35 Axis S.
I cant say enough about this magnificent machine.
Some very tricky engineering has been employed.

"R.I.P. Baz. 29 April 2022. Thank you for all your contributions to the Datsun community over the years. You will be missed." - OZDAT

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:08 am 

Nice Baz.
I'll be visiting SA for a Holiday in the new year in the stag. Hope to see you guys!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:15 pm 

For those with the stagea ... here is a new forum...

http://www.m35stagea.info/forum/index.php

Damn fine motorcar !!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:25 pm 

Cool... we are picking it up tomorrow :) can't friggin wait.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:38 pm 

Hey guys new to the forum, i was searching for jap car importers when i came across TOKYO PRESTIGE in campbellfield.

The website looked a lil suss, so i did some searching and found this forum with this thread.

The images on their webpage look eddited, so i drove past their building to find differant signage...

Now with posts on this thread from 23 december 2010, im a little unsure of whats going on? And an expected date of arrival of the car mention above for january to a business which isnt there just makes me more confused.

Has TOKYO PRESTIGE been moved?
If anyone can fill me in, please do.

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:18 am 

Meh. I bought my car from Tokyo Prestige. I think it was trading as Terry Darby automotive or something like that?
Tokyo Prestige is the importer company name.
M35 is going great.
Phil is easy to deal with.
I just wouldn't recommend the compliance shop: "The import factory" if you have a stagea.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:52 am 

V. Cool, thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:22 am 

Picked my Stagea up from Phill last night. Top bloke, easy to deal with as he is very honest and and informs you of everything that is going on. I can't regard him highly enough.

I can't help you with your concerns about his business address as we dealt with him from him home in Port Melbourne.. we did everything after hours as we live about an hour and a half from Melbourne. But yes, the business name on the receipt etc was "Terry Darby Automotive" so maybe that's the name on his building in Camplefield? I mainly posted up this topic as i had similar concerns as you but after a found that Nick (sr20dat) got his car from Phill my concerns were all over and now I can recommend him myself as everything went very smoothly and we couldn't be happier.

Nick, what issues did you have with the compliance side of things? I'll have a look today and see if i can find any of the same problems as i am pretty sure we went this route with ours. He Complied and roadworthied it, does that mean it went through the compliance work shop?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:19 am 

Long story short, their workmanship was pretty poor.
I had to have 3 bolts drilled in the back of the car, and they didn't seal it correctly, which meant the rear of the tailgate kept filling full of water. I had to fix it.
Plus there were all these other little things they didn't do, such as change all the fluids (including brake fluid).
They also didn't change the CAT due to some reason. (not that i'm complaining though)

Just a few things which I didn't feel comfortable with. Plus they took AGES.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:56 am 

Cool. We are going to change all fluids as you told us to do back in December and i'll give it a good look over today for anything else dodgey. Got it booked in to get Reg'd at vic roads tomorrow, how did you go with all that?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:07 am 

Easy squeezy.