Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:06 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:22 pm 

Hey guys

Bought this 180B off a friend who crashed it, he just wanted it gone so I got it for a good price.

[ img ]

[ img ]

I originally wanted it for parts for my 200B SR conversion (mainly diff and fuel system) but now I'm wondering if repairing the damage and running this car would be easier/cheaper/more fun as it has all the engineering papers etc and still has rego.

Its got a N/A RB30 and with a few extra goodies:

R200 LSD diff (Damm I hope that is still ok)
Adjustable (with shims) LCAs
Magna/Commodore Front brake upgrade
Surge tank w VL turbo pump

Now I dont know much about fixing this sort of damage so I was hoping some of the members would be able to give some advice.

Its had a pretty hard hit just to the right of the Left hand Castor Rod mount and bent that area up pretty good as well as fubaring the sump.

[ img ]

[ img ]

Whatever he hit has then traveled under the car smashing off the slave cylinder, severing what looks to be a fuel hose and then mangled the gearbox x-member.

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

The engine itself has been bumped back 1-2cm, you can see the engine mount is on an angle in this pic

[ img ]

That seems to be the extent of the damage although the Left hand drive shaft looked like this when I jacked up the rear end

[ img ]

Heres a few more pics of the rear end just for interest as it sort of shows the mods done to fit the R200 in there.

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

So yeah what do you guys think?

Repair or Strip??

Cheers, Jon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:56 pm 
Old Digger

Looks pretty rough mate. It's had a massive hit. The rails are z shape. I'd strip it down and see if you can repair the damage before doing anything alse with it. Your mate sold it to you cause it's rooted. I hope you paid no more than $500 monkeys for it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:03 pm 

Looks like bent rails. I'd be ripping the motor our asap and checking the straightness of the shell. it may have twisted also. Then you're up for a new x-member, suspension gear, and GB x-member. Hmm. Looks like it could be troublesome exercise. IF its only bent up, then you may be able to jig it back straight again then you'll be up for strengthening those sections to stop it happening again.

Previous Car: Restored Green 1972 Datsun 510, Hot L18

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:09 pm 

That thing is not worth repairing, i like the conversion but it's honestly not worth the time fixing.

RB30e's are cheap, so I wouldn't be to worried about saving the motor either (but I guess it's worth pulling the sump off an inspecting).

With the diff, you'll find those shafts pop out often, this is probably due to not shortening one of the shafts.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:09 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

I agree with MYDATO, pull everything out and then check the extent of the damage. It would have to be a hard hit to do the damage it has done. It might end up being easier to either swap everything into your 200B SSS, or if you can find another 180B shell that is better you could do a re-shell? A few options.

The fleet:

Australia:
'80 200B GX - the green200b - hibernating
'81 RX-7 - 12A extend port - daily
'74 RX-2 - 13B bridgeport - cruiser

Europe:
'93 200SX - CA18DET - tourer
Dato200B wrote:
Green200B has forgotten more about 200Bs than we will ever know.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:16 pm 

RB in a 180. Cooooooool man= Sil180B and drift it.

Take sump off, check oil pick up is OK. Fit new clutch slave, Put Silvia front end on it, have fun and take it to the Datnats. then figure out what to do after that. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:34 pm 

Cheers guys,

I bought it with the understanding it was stuffed but was interested in how hard it would be to fix.

I paid $800 so perhaps a bit more than I should of but hey that's life!

Good news that the diff is most likely ok, as apparently it was new when it went in a couple of years ago and should be a good unit.

I hope I'm gonna break even on what it would have cost to get the diff and fuel system for the 200B

Should have the engine out next weekend to see whats what anyway

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:56 pm 

yeah mad fix it and slap a turbo on it and do hell skids

prev rides:
1970 datsun 1600 wp510 project SOLD
1969 datsun 1600: SIMS metal
1984 KE70 corolla:defected/crushed
1985 KE70 corolla:SOLD
1982 KE70 4AGE drift pig SOLD
1978 120Y wagon SOLD

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:02 pm 

Where do you live?
I am a panel beater,and I live in Western Sydney.Will look at it if you are interested.Will tell you what it needs with no bullshit!!.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:53 pm 

+1 where are you from, i have a straight front cut however i want to keep the radiator panel for myself. The front brakes and struts are not stock either, pretty sure both 180b and 240k struts mount the caliper trailing the strut. also looks like a vented disc though hard to tell. And adjustable lower controll arms, all of wich may or may not be rooted though. If your in melbournei have some of the parts you will need to fix it or if your going to scrap it i may be interested in buying some parts.

180b Wagon daily
http://ozdat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f= ... 9&start=30

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:12 am 

I reckon fix it.
1: Got talk to a panel beater some one who really knows what that are doing.
2: Jack car up and swap over gearbox cross member see if that allows engine to resume its propped resting place.

Its going to need to be stripped back and put on a chassis machine to see if its to badly bent

Obviously your going to need a few second hand parts to do the job like sump and all that sort of thing. (check condition of engine by dropping sump. Make sure it hasn't damaged crank).

Last of all ive seen people on this forum asking almost twice what you paid for the car for a R200LSD surely that answers your question if it was a good deal or not if you decided to strip it down for parts.
The Parts you listed in first post Diff,Rear cross member, LCAs, surge tank pump etc would be worth more than $800.

But get some one who knows what they are doing to have a look and give you an estimation this will then give you an idea if its worth stripping it down and towing it to a panel shop.

Present:
KP710 160JSSS Coupe (My Standard Car)
KP710 160JSSS Coupe (My SR20DET 6Spd Car)
KP710 140J Delux (New Road Car)
KP710 Parts POS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:35 am 

I'll give you $1000 for it :P (seriously)

otherwise there's a rb30 180b fan at real steel restorations who should be able to advise on repairing it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:56 am 

Hey guys thanks for all the responses

Lance - I'm in Canberra but thanks for the offer!

Wiseys180 -Yep vented fronts, Looks like Drivers side strut might be bent as well not sure yet so the adjustable LCAs might also be cactus, I'll have it up on blocks tonight for further inspection.

Unlimitedpower - I was hoping that was the case, I didn't actually know it was an LSD untill I posted that pic with the LSD sticker on the diff, the previous owner didn't know that much about cars and didn't really know anymore than it was an R200 he paid to have installed, so thats a bit of a score!

Tyrie - Thanks for the heads up I'll give Real Steel a call, but wont be selling until I've explored the options/costs etc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:03 am 

Yeah check the cost of repairing it and maybe a reshell or at least front cut. RB30 180 i want one.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:19 am 

1. fix mechanical damage
2. fit T3 turbo + front mount cooler + dose pipe
3. do a massive burnout, film it, put it on youtube.
4. win at life