Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:40 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:34 pm 

So, got a letter in the mail last week about the permit for my 1600 autocross-soon-to-be-rally-car.
Vicroads have changed the permit system effective 1st Feb. Previously I could only drive my Dato to/from CAMS sanctioned events, and for testing and transporting.
Now they want me to fill in a log book for each trip I make, however, i'm free to drive whenever I want, for whatever reason :hail:
Catch is I can only do this for a limited number of days per year (45 or 90 days).

Finally means i'll be able to attend some Ozdat trips for a change!!! :thumbsup:
Anyone else keen on bringing their weekend warrior out?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:00 am 

did mine on friday after wasting 100 buck on a rwc trying to get full reg (typical list too , bealts windscreen shocks), disappointed i looked at club reg again and luckly the new changes are in , few calls to the club and arranged a rep to view the car and he took all of 10mins to check ,then off to broady and waited 10 mins in line got my plates/log book and $140 for 90 days . Was so easy :P just need some decent weather to take it out , going to get a quote for insurance next

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:28 am 

According to an ozdat member who shall remain nameless, this won't get off the ground because people will want to put "junk cars" like 200B's on it.

His words, not mine.

[ img ]
BM510 wrote:
I'm a driver.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:40 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

I am amazed that this was approved anyway, it is strange for the governing bodies to want to make it easier for us to have our old cars on the road. I'm considering putting my 200B SX on this rego (once it has got to a state to which is will be eligible), and I think a lot of people would do the same thing with their second car too.

Depending on how much you drive and what your driving requirements are, you could almost have two cars registered on this and no other car. For someone who lived in inner-city suburbs and took public transport to work, that would be something to consider.

The fleet:

Australia:
'80 200B GX - the green200b - hibernating
'81 RX-7 - 12A extend port - daily
'74 RX-2 - 13B bridgeport - cruiser

Europe:
'93 200SX - CA18DET - tourer
Dato200B wrote:
Green200B has forgotten more about 200Bs than we will ever know.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:21 pm 
Old Digger

Guys, this is happening and is in action now. As of the 1st of Feb the new rules came in. I'll be going this way for sure. If it means I can't use my personal plates then so be it.

Joebry what club are you a member of?
I'm with SAU at the moment and have emailed the club as to what their sign off rules are and I'm waiting on a reply. If I have to jump ship/clubs then so be it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:16 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

MYDATO wrote:
If it means I can't use my personal plates then so be it.
But that means you'll have to change your username to CH-#### though! Unless they register your car as a street rod. I reckon keep it on full rego if you can, but I guess it depends on exactly how much you drive the car.

I had a chat to a guy with an RX-4 on club rego at the last AusRotary cruise, and he was really happy with the idea. He reckoned that 90 days a year would be plenty as his was a dedicated weekender. He didn't like the old club permit scheme but was quite happy with the new idea.

The fleet:

Australia:
'80 200B GX - the green200b - hibernating
'81 RX-7 - 12A extend port - daily
'74 RX-2 - 13B bridgeport - cruiser

Europe:
'93 200SX - CA18DET - tourer
Dato200B wrote:
Green200B has forgotten more about 200Bs than we will ever know.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:20 pm 

Been looking forward to this change for ahwhile just got my plates redone last year. So looking forward to some hassle free trips in the 1600! I hope it's not abused by people to get sh*t box's on the road causing vic roads to go back to the old ruling of club satcitoned events only. Looking forward to the next cruise when I'm back in town end of march.......still have to fix g/box first though :roll: might just bang a 4 spd in for a bit
c you guys soon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:55 pm 
Old Digger

I reckon I only drive the datto about 50 days or less a year. So it ain't worth $600 rego. I'm going to club reg for sure. Just need to find out what's involved with a chosen club and i'll get it done ASAP. In vic with private plates you own them and et to keep them. So i'll screw them up onto the shed wall. :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:33 pm 

I hope they bring this to QLD too!
I don't drive my car much at all but have to rego it just in case I want to!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:18 pm 

PM sent MYDATO

ofcourse there will be some that abuse it but for myself there is alot to way up before using the car and also putting my club family membership , cams license, name , $$$$$ etc in jepordy for something dumb. I feel the majority will be like myself and use this for an advantage rather than abuse the rules

Id say the guys that can sign a car off or the club have some sort of liabilty as does a rwc tester and you know how tight some of them guys can be , I got a usual list of new screen , suspension , belts etc from my local rwc tester 2 weeks ago
I cracked it as it seems they just want to work on big $$$$ stuff or make you cough up big $$$ , i put new datsport belts and a new washer bottle in , made sure everything else works and took to the club guy , give him the rwc list as a ref and he passed it

either way its here , and really good option for those of us that dont want to trailer the car everywhere and also take the odd country blast in something that might be abit too much for everyday use.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:35 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

James May wrote:
According to an ozdat member who shall remain nameless, this won't get off the ground because people will want to put "junk cars" like 200B's on it.
I'm in the MG Car Club up here, I was talking to an MGB owner a while back who reckons people who own "junk cars" like Datsun 1600's will wreck the NSW historic scheme for people who own "real" classics like MG's :blahblah:

Sounds like a better scheme than we have in NSW, we're still restricted to club runs, tuning purposes, etc.

1965 SP310 Fairlady
1966 SP311 Fairlady

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:31 am 

MYDATO wrote:
I reckon I only drive the datto about 50 days or less a year. So it ain't worth $600 rego. I'm going to club reg for sure. Just need to find out what's involved with a chosen club and I'll get it done ASAP. In vic with private plates you own them and et to keep them. So I'll screw them up onto the shed wall. :)
My thoughts exactly, Brad. Once a week = 52 days a year, sadly I don't get to drive my car that often so this sounds like a no brainer. I was thinking of joining NDSOC soon anyway, so this gives me more incentive to get off my ass and do it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:31 am 

im also very keen to look into this, would probably even just go a 45 day one, which would mean id have to drive every weekend to need the extension (which you can buy)

Working out which clubs will do it and what are the requirements are really the key bits. do cars still need to be engineered? if doug's old rotary powered racer is anything to go off then well all sh*t it in :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:20 am 
Site Admin

cars with engine converions arnt covered by the scheme.

http://www.lescollinsracing.com/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:32 am 

is that opinion or fact? its aimed at hot rods, club racers, etc how could it not include engine conversions? it used to with the old scheme...