Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:09 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:40 pm 

Righto well I'm going to get a list at the roadworthy inspector tomorrow morning. I say that because the situation has changed and there are more things wrong with the car than I had originally hoped. Got it up on jacks the other day and was looking around underneath... it really needs a lot of the front end rebuilt. I'll wait until I see what the mechanic says but I think most of the steering links are unroadworthy with missing boots etc, one of the bushes on the pitman arm (I think, new to all this non-steering rack stuff!) seems to be completely missing lol. Upper balljoints look stuffed, don't know what the wishbone bushes are like or anything. Anyway we greased up a few points that looked okay so that's a good start. I don't think half of this sh*t actually gets made any more so **** if I know how I'm gonna fix it. It still drives okay although it clearly needs some better tyres and a wheel alignment hahaha. Anyway I got it on my mate's hoist yesterday and spent a few hours just cleaning stuff up. This is basically what it looks like underneath although it's got another kilo or so less road grime now.
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

Forgot to get a photo of under the bonnet after the other day's efforts as me and a friend got it looking immaculate friday night. Repainted some brackets and cleaned everything up

Here is some progress; gave the tail light trims a squirt of metallic gunmetal
[ img ]
[ img ]
Polished up the lenses as well as I could. That tail light I bought didn't really come up well at all but at least it isn't cracked. It looks milky and has marks in the moulding etc :( Looks alright in the photo
[ img ]

Inside in the back looks a bit neater but still needs more cleaning haha
[ img ]

Even with its shitty ride height, wheels, bumper etc I am still digging it
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

Deffs needs moar lows & mad offset

1999 GXE10

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:05 pm 

Mate you are flying along!!! I have spent a few more days on mine over the weekend and I can't say it is looking that much better :-( I will be interested to hear how you get on chasing the front end gear you need.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:17 pm 

I'm just struggling to get the parts I want. I am after some new front shocks (preferably something a bit sporty), a new rubber mount where the two pieces of the tailshaft join and fit into a bracket on the chassis, new boots for all the steering joints, balljoints etc. I might just 'adjust' the front springs that are in it, but I wouldn't mind getting some lowered ones if they are available? I wish I knew what parts were interchangeable with other cars because I am really struggling. I need information and can't find anyone who knows anything about these cars

The rust in the LHS sill is worse than the RHS one. I removed the trim and took off the excess paint to see what I have to deal with. Haven't fixed it yet but I'll probably get onto it soon depending on work. This side had so much moist road grime sh*t locked in there too. Don't even know how it gets so full! Also ground out the crap in the wheel arches on one side and gave them a nice thick coat of sound deadener paint, just non-gloss black stuff. All in all it's a pretty rust free car, the front window border, the sills and the front guards all just have a little infection of it.

Ouchie
[ img ]
Another step forward anyway
[ img ]

1999 GXE10

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:52 pm 

Here's the engine bay cleaning I did a while ago. Also repainted the brake booster, prop unit bracket and steering box in black while I was there. The before shots can be found here and here.
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

Okay well I got the centre bearing thing for the tailshaft and the rubber donut that sits around it. Haven't pulled the tailshaft out yet to see how to install it though. I bought some new Monroe shocks for the front end (rears seem okay) - nothing special but at least they will do a consistent job. Got heaps of new rubber boots for all the joints and the whole front end is apart atm. Been cleaning everything and painting it up. Cut the springs down a bit and I'm putting spacers in above them so the springrate should be a bit higher (the body roll was a huge worry hahaha) and in the end I'll get it sitting a lot lower too obviously
[ img ]

Running out of time can't post any more right now will update later. Enjoy!

1999 GXE10

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:22 pm 

This was the front end
[ img ]
Machined and painted the drums:
[ img ]
Post-spring-adjustment:
[ img ]
Machined the discs but still didn't get the grooves out, ohh well
[ img ]
[ img ]
Lots of wire brushing & KBS chassis black works a treat
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

Anyone know if you can buy polyurethane (swaybar) bushes in this style? These ones are pretty old and sloppy.
[ img ]

1999 GXE10

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:57 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Fantastic job mate, keep up the good work

Try these guys if all else fails

http://www.importmonster.com.au/view?ur ... title=V230 V330

Have a look around.....there is quite a bit of gear there for 230 Cedrics

cheers :cheers

'Nissantiques - Join the Club'

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:43 pm 

Thanks for the response. I'm definitely keeping busy on the car as I can spare the time. This wasn't even supposed to be much of a project... I was considering just taking it to a mechanic and paying him to fix the problems hahahaha. Still takes a long time to fix a car even if you aren't doing much to it sometimes!

I want to avoid importing parts where I can... and I would really like those bushes in a hard urethane like what Super-Pro produce... Either that or adapting another swaybar lol

Both sides of the front end are looking like this atm, with the new boots installed and the joints all greased up with the new Monroe shocks. Should put the hubs back on soon but I haven't fixed the steering up yet, or the tailshaft, or that rust. I don't think I'm gonna get another permit just yet; plenty more to go lol
[ img ]

I thought I'd be getting a LOT more interest in this thread too :( Is this forum dead? Or do people just like 1600s?

1999 GXE10

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:32 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Oh man, don't go there. Don't turn your thread into a shitfight worrying about how many people are watching/commenting on what is a great effort on your behalf fixing up the old boy.

People are watching you...... :thumbsup:

'Nissantiques - Join the Club'

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:48 pm 

I certainly feel like this forum is struggling at the best of times. its looking good though. Post up a pic of the wheels you have ordered unless you are waiting to get them to show em off. cant wait till this thing is on the road. we will have to do a pub crawl in it

Oh and the photo where it is sitting on the stands looks so good. looks clean and straight as :thumbsup: just need the right bumper and the door strips to be sorted

180b Wagon daily
http://ozdat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f= ... 9&start=30

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:51 pm 

Lovely looking project when you are almost done font forget some early 65 ford steelies with trims
will look a million bucks. Also venettians and twin carbs and extractors will make it complete.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:46 am 

Any 65 Ford steelies from Australia would just be four stud so I'm guessing you're talking about some yank ones? I was thinking of getting some 15xwide chev-style rally wheels in falcon pattern but I've found something that's a bit more JDM and classy. Keeping them as a surprise though. I wanna get the car running on straight LPG but using the original manifold and twin throttlebodies might be doable and would definitely be a bit cooler. Venetians don't work too well when the windows wind down! lol

1999 GXE10

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:51 pm 

Righto had some time to do a bit more work today. Hubs together and swaybar is resting in place (needs to be at ride height to sit in position nicely so I can tighten it up). Also removed the steering linkages and if I have time tomorrow I will start fixing them up.
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

1999 GXE10

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:39 pm 

My Venettians!!!!! crash goes tailgater! :shock:
5 stud Yank for sure
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
steeliesbaby.jpg [ 43.19 KiB | Viewed 3057 times ]
LPG is fantastic and twin 125 impco units with equivalent
sized throttle bodies would be the click of the fingers.

These LPG tanks cost 25% more but well worth over crap steel ones and
will fit nicely inplace of normal petrol one.
http://www.ppidts.com/propanep/gallery.html

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:01 am 

great to meet you on saturday mate, certainly putting in the hard yards with the wagon, can't wait to see it out at a cruise.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:56 pm 

Same to you Anth, nice to put a face to the name. Cheers for the encouragement too!

Here's a bit more of an update... tie rods got fixed up a bit
[ img ]
[ img ]
As did the steering arms, idler arm, its bracket and the drag link:
[ img ]
[ img ]

1999 GXE10