Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:48 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Re: 1980 Datsun Stanza
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:59 pm 

This:

[ img ]

and this:

[ img ]

Because of this:

[ img ]

Engine came out a couple of weeks ago. I have a couple of other home projects to sort and then its into this properly. I have been in touch with an engineer regarding the swap. Anyone know of a R31 or 2WD Hilux rear end for sale in the ACT or surrounds?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:51 am 

Baz wrote:
When you have the wheel alignment ask them to do a bump steer report.
Would be very interested in the results. we have measured over 30mm.
Old thread but do you remember what LCA's you were running Baz? R31 LCA's and I think it's n14 tie rods and ends run a much nicer angle on everything and reduces this hugely in a skyline.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:56 am 

Oh and just messaged my mate on whether or not I could hand out his number, he's got a drift 31 in act n he'll be able to source you a diff assembly I'm guessing.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:00 pm 

Its up

[ img ]

Interiors out

[ img ]

and lined up for test fitting

[ img ]

Bro in law is coming around on Thursday night and we are going to drop it in and see how it fits. Also picked up a hilux diff last weekend. Whats the width of the stanza diff? 1370 or bigger?

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:58 pm 

looking good dude, good luck today

1979 Datsun Sunny Wagon 13b Turbo conversion: http://ozdat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=28890

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:18 pm 

k-man 79 wagon wrote:
looking good dude, good luck today

Popped the engine in tonight with mixed results. There are some little things that need to be sorted out that are frustrating but seeing the engine in the hole more than makes up for it.

I bought a MadDat SR to Stanza fitting kit from a dude on eBay a while ago and the transmission mount is nowhere near fitting on the passengers side. Drivers side is fine but passengers sides too low. It is a copy of the drivers side but the passengers side has only one mounting hole in the transmission tunnel and sits about an inch higher than the drivers side. The mount looks the same as the one in the kit on their website so NFI. I wonder if there is a difference in manual Vs. auto transmission tunnels...

The picture below shows the amount that needs to be cut for the gear lever to poke through. Will have to relocate the handbrake more rearward i think.

[ img ]

The engine. The fitting kit has a new engine cross member, steel mounts that bolt to the engine and rubber mounts to go between. I tried standard Stanza crossmember, MadDat rubber mounts and standard SR20DET steel mounts on the side of the engine.

[ img ]

[ img ]

In the photo below you can see that they are not quite right. The rubber mounts are sitting at the top most position of the slot in the cross member. The MadDat kits steel engine mounts are slotted too as well as the cross member.

[ img ]

I will try the MadDat cross member and steel mounts. I think it will make the engine sit up more and give me more clearance around the braking system which it is fouling on now. If it does raise the engine up the S13 sway bar I have will clear the sump as it bolts up now but only slightly touches.

[ img ]

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:29 pm 

sitting nice and low, even a raise will keep it low, as for your trans problems, do you think there is enough clearance to get a shifter or make one with two bends to make it through the hole and just raise the pivot point like a short shifter?

1979 Datsun Sunny Wagon 13b Turbo conversion: http://ozdat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=28890

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:32 pm 

Looks like it is sitting very far back .. if you can move it forward at all - might get the gear shifter closer to the hole

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:19 pm 

k-man 79 wagon wrote:
sitting nice and low, even a raise will keep it low, as for your trans problems, do you think there is enough clearance to get a shifter or make one with two bends to make it through the hole and just raise the pivot point like a short shifter?
I'd like to run a quick shifter from GKTech. I was looking at shifter re-locators at work today and there are some options to move it forward.
OLDATO wrote:
Looks like it is sitting very far back .. if you can move it forward at all - might get the gear shifter closer to the hole
I took the front wheels and rubber mounts off tonight and lifted the engine up on the crane. The new steel engine mounts are definitely longer than the stockers so it will sit higher. Whether the new x-member makes it sit more forward, ill find out when I drop the LCA's and the stock xmember.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 9:31 pm 

Got 2.5 hours in this morning. Enlarged gearbox hole forward of the shifter hole as the box was fouling. Need to take a photo of that. Dropped cross member and passenger LCA and got the engine sitting in on the mounts. Did it all back up. Cut the stanza gearbox xmember and elongated the passenger side hole. Dump pipe I have fits and the sway bar clears the sump. Air tools are cool.

Issues questions:

Radiator - SR into stanza (and probably other datsuns for that matter) what radiator gets used? ive read about a BMW one. I have N12 or N13 from a mate here but its pretty wide. I plan on running the inter cooler in front of the rad in the engine bay so I don't have to cut holes below the headlights. Is it realistic to run this sort of setup? With a thin thermo it looks like it would all fit. The width of radiator would mean some sharp bends from the IC to the throttle body though which i dont think would be good. How good is the stock L radiator? Up to the task?

Inlet manifold fouling on the clutch fluid reservoir and brake light switch - I think I can grind the part off that is fouling on the clutch reservoir. I dont have a hope of plugging the light back in. What do?

Pictures:

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:00 pm 

Swap to,a non boosted brake set up?

Its only a warning light for the brakes. Lots of cars don't have them lol

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:05 am 
Guru

We have fitted SRs into many stanzas & dont use a fitting kit.
New nissan mounts are $70 a pair.
http://www.datsport.com/mounting%20-engine-fr31.html

Depending on auto or manual, the original SR transmount is used on the stanza gear box X member & is redrilled to suit.
Our 24mm adjustable bar fits behind the standard & Alloy sump.
So it goes up when the suspension compresses or bumps.

NA & turbo motors fit well & look factory installed.

"R.I.P. Baz. 29 April 2022. Thank you for all your contributions to the Datsun community over the years. You will be missed." - OZDAT

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:14 am 
Guru

S2 & S3 bluebird rad can be used by repositioning the top water out let. Use our water outlet.
http://www.datsport.com/cooling-sr-outlet.html

The booster will need to be modified or a Jap stanza booster & a 7/8" master cylinder will need to be fitted for manifold clearance.
http://www.datsport.com/hydraulic-brake-master-78.html

Will post some pics later.

"R.I.P. Baz. 29 April 2022. Thank you for all your contributions to the Datsun community over the years. You will be missed." - OZDAT

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:37 pm 

Baz wrote:
S2 & S3 bluebird rad can be used by repositioning the top water out let. Use our water outlet.
http://www.datsport.com/cooling-sr-outlet.html

The booster will need to be modified or a Jap stanza booster & a 7/8" master cylinder will need to be fitted for manifold clearance.
http://www.datsport.com/hydraulic-brake-master-78.html

Will post some pics later.

Thanks for the info Baz, and some pics would be sweet as :)

Heres the hole I cut:

[ img ]

[ img ]

And with drivers seat and handbrake installed:

[ img ]

[ img ]

Last edited by 2ndTimeStanza on Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:56 pm 

Ordered some parts, hopefully they all arrive before the weekend, an inter cooler being one. In preparation I pulled the front off.

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

Last edited by 2ndTimeStanza on Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.