Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:59 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:47 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

I've been working on the EFI setup and found several smallish issues with the throttle body.

The stepper motor works but the way the air is directed into the plenum doesn't encourage mixing with the fuel from the injectors. Think of it as 'I'll dump the air in here and I'll dump the fuel over there...now mix you bastard and give me a smooth idle at the the correct AFR' Needless to say, the stepper motor has been deactivated atm and all my attempts to get the engine started and running up from cold are working on the throttle, not unlike a Holley or other similar carb. Just crack the throttle a bit and richen the injectors the correct amount for the correct time and you're done. I'm waiting for the idle solenoid to arrive to play around with that.

The gears on the throttle shafts have too much lash or free play so that when you start to open the throttle, one side will open a bit before the other side does anything. It's like a set of twins or triples outa linkage sync. I've worked out a fix for that but when the TB costs the amount it does, you'd expect a return phone call about it when you let them know you have concerns. :x

I've had lots of help setting up megasquirt from a guy on Hybridz who's taken me under his wing. He has a similar setup and without him I'd still be scratching my head. Thank you!!

Idle when warm is very stable and strong and now I'll start tuning with some light loads. My Innovate LC-1 WBO2 stuff is reading some pretty funky readings so the tune so far has been the 'old school' way with plug readings, sound, smell and manifold vacuum. The cause for this isn't known exactly but a recalibration of the sensor and maybe a reflash of the firmware on the controller may all thats needed now to get it to work properly. I'll see.

I'll keep you guys posted. Gotta get it right before the Nationals at Easter.... :lol:

'Nissantiques - Join the Club'

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:53 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

ozconnection wrote:
My Innovate LC-1 WBO2 stuff is reading some pretty funky readings so the tune so far has been the 'old school' way with plug readings, sound, smell and manifold vacuum. The cause for this isn't known exactly but a recalibration of the sensor and maybe a reflash of the firmware on the controller may all thats needed now to get it to work properly. I'll see.
Oh, that friggin Innovate wideband is a PITA, I got the poo's and bought something else.

http://wbo2.com/2c0/default.htm

It's an Aussie unit to boot and megasquirt has the files it needs to read this thing. Another mate of mine who runs in Sports Sedans has a really nice car and ENGINE! He had issues with his Innovate LC-1 too and ditched the bitch and bought a Tech Edge wideband controller. His testamonial is nothing but praise. His engine is worth a LOT more than mine and if he's happy with his unit, heck who the hell am I to second guess his judgement :thumbsup:

Should arrive in the next few days ready for the weekend!! :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:57 pm 

Did you check the earth to the exhaust and the wideband controller? I have had problems with innovate widebands before and they were usually fixed by improving the earthing of the engine/alternator/ignition system

I have heard nothing but good things about the tech edge units so you should be away laughing!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:46 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Earthing the exhaust..... :!:

I would have thought that the studs on the head would be earthing the headers and the rest of the system. Since none of my other fixes worked, then I might just give this a go. Nothing a cable under the flange gasket bolt wouldn't fix.

Thanks mate. Looking forward to getting this mutha on the road, it's been waaay to long. :roll:

Skids next week..... :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:39 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

fletch wrote:
I have heard nothing but good things about the tech edge units so you should be away laughing!
:giggle: :lol: :) :D :thumbsup:

I don't need to say anything more.......

...but I will, just to say it works brilliantly and predictably.

The tuning continues :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:19 am 

Very usefull info, in case I decide to run EFI too I´m thinking of using the 280ZX manifold and KA24 TB.

P.S. Mark let me know if you want the square headlight rims for the Nationals. :lol: :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:07 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Well, I've driven the car and it's not bad...not bad at all :)
At this point, there's some richness at low throttle/engine speeds ie cruising, that I can alter on the VE map easy enough.
Idle's a rock solid 11.2 at 850rpm but I can lean that to 12.5.
A little stumble exists at tip in, worse at low engine speeds than at higher revs and open throttle...
...BUT at wot its 12.7! It pulls so hard it scares me! :shock: (I'm an old fart now, remember!)
The map I have in there is fairly close, a bit rich but that isn't bad and I haven't even begun to use the auto tune function yet.
May not even have too. :wink:

I've taken the car to Carline at Seven hills for some 'muffling'. It's so loud, after a short drive to Richmond from Blacktown, my ears were aching. I gotta fix this otherwise the drive to PI will be unpleasant to say the least. We'll see how that turns out. Fingers crossed.

Camilo, the headlights are available BUT the money they want for them is out of my price range.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:18 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

I needed to quieten the beast...so loud was it that after 50kms of driving my head was ringing! A great sound for the track but too loud for the street. This was my solution

http://www.xforce.com.au/about-varex-re ... uffler.php

It works brilliantly btw. I'm happy to go tuning at 3am now without fear of getting into trouble with the law. I've been lucky thus far.

Progress.

日産 セドリック

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:32 pm 

Yeah? Well ive just driven your car and its freakin awesome! top effort getting it going so soon, you gotta be happy with that muffler too man sounds great!

Hey what does that japanese in your last post say?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:18 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Ha Ha Dave, Japanese symbols you should become familiar with.

Hint: Google it or think Japanese translation of Nissan Cedric

:cheers

[ img ]

Had to get one of these to quieten the bastard! :roll: Quiet it is. :D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:05 pm 

ozconnection wrote:
Camilo, the headlights are available BUT the money they want for them is out of my price range.

I can imagine, I met a malaysian guy in a facebook group of Cedrics who told me he can find them for me, but a little pricey too, they are used and if they are sealed beams I won´t know how long they will last, it could be a week and the money goes straight to the garbage.

Last edited by camilo on Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:15 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Yes, thats very true. The lights must be rare now, I wonder if we can still buy them new from Japan? Surely they must still make them or have a suppy of New Old Stock. Probably expensive too but. How much did the guy in Malaysia want for the pair?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:15 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

:evil:

Injector driver bank 2 has just stopped working. No reason. Pulled into the driveway and went to save the tune after a drive on auto tune and the engine stalled. I could start it but it ran like a pig and super lean. Took off the hat and cranked it over, two barrels are with fuel, two without.

Did the usual and checked the fuses and loose wiring but all good there. Went to the forums and read I should be able to run all my injectors from one bank but that seems dodgy to me and it's not telling me WHY it failed.

Second hand gear maybe. The Innovate controller was ****, maybe I'm having a streak of bad luck with this ECU as well?

Buggar. :x

Exhaust is nice but! :thumbsup:

PS, Cath was wondering if all the welding on the exhaust could have anything to do with it, what do you guys think?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:38 pm 

ozconnection wrote:
:evil:

Injector driver bank 2 has just stopped working. No reason. Pulled into the driveway and went to save the tune after a drive on auto tune and the engine stalled. I could start it but it ran like a pig and super lean. Took off the hat and cranked it over, two barrels are with fuel, two without.

Did the usual and checked the fuses and loose wiring but all good there. Went to the forums and read I should be able to run all my injectors from one bank but that seems dodgy to me and it's not telling me WHY it failed.

Second hand gear maybe. The Innovate controller was ****, maybe I'm having a streak of bad luck with this ECU as well?

Buggar. :x

Exhaust is nice but! :thumbsup:

Can you get the computer to drive the injectors in a test mode or something? then you can check if its a software or hardware problem
ozconnection wrote:
PS, Cath was wondering if all the welding on the exhaust could have anything to do with it, what do you guys think?
standard practice is(was?) to disconnect the ecu or at least positive battery lead (on an efi car) when welding

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:53 am 

ozconnection wrote:
Yes, thats very true. The lights must be rare now, I wonder if we can still buy them new from Japan? Surely they must still make them or have a suppy of New Old Stock. Probably expensive too but. How much did the guy in Malaysia want for the pair?
50 USD each, but he dooes'nt have them, he can find 'em for me.... :? https://www.facebook.com/groups/222627801115281/

[ img ]

He also post this link at the FB group http://page4.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/au ... enlargeimg