Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 7:15 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:53 pm 

Thought I may aswell put up my 1600's sitting in the Shed

[ img ]
Car 1 (yellow/black) 1969 mdl , all matching numbers , L16 stroked to L18 avgas 240k 5 speed ,4.6 /3.9 lockers ,volvo 4pots ,r888's ,good setup suspension (keep that one to myself) etc etc alloy cage and rest of car stripped to only things needed , got it for a bargin

This car was purchased a couple of years back and has slowly burnt a hole in the wallet collecting parts and tools to fix. It Didnt get used for years before I got a hold of it and the car was built by an ex HQ racer for winton sprints , apparently it even did quite well taking a few class wins etc according to him . I bought with aims for NC and historics but quickly found out it was way past point of return to be eligible or even log booked and so the idea was scrapped. Took to winton for a funday , had a blast ran hard for 20 or so laps then popped a rocker and then began tearing it down till it was a naked shell.

Plans were to redo the body , fit the full FRP flare kit from alfa I bought and then get it caged up in steel , add a complete refreshed underbody and rebuild the stroker. This was all going well till I became a father and home owner losing all the time and cash for it. (same old story)

[ img ]
Was progressing slow and was getting to me having spent so much and having more and more parts being stashed when I could and stuff laying around for months doing nothing. So off I went and grabbed car 2
(EDIT THE ABOVE CAR HAS KNOW BEEN SOLD ON AND BELOW IS PRIORITY NOW)
[ img ]
my lotus white 1969 matching numbers stocker with 5 speed
Bought it from Sydney in jan , flew up and handover the cash, jumped in and 900ks and 10 hours later in the shed at home. Only issue was me getting massive kidney bruises from the cut springs and stock seat :O

It had been redone before by a previous owner but its as close as ill get to a decent gspec these days. Very clean inside and out and to original. Plan was to get rego'd then whack a few bits from the other car.
So far
coilovers/konis, all bushes and steering and most suspension bits replaced ,
r180 4.6 locker,
full exhaust and pacemakers
rebuilt 4 pots and 13/16 master
few datsport goodies
14x7 globes/205/55 r888's
sparco road seat
as it sits now
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

Got a few more plans over the next few weeks and will post the progress and get some better pics
hope you like :)

Last edited by joebry on Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:36 pm 

Nice cars mate. One of the previous owner's of the lotus white one used to work around the corner from me, Its a great little car. It was almost a twin to a white one i used to own, i always wanted to get the two cars together for a couple of pics but it never happened.
Heres a pic when it had white walls :thumbsup:

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
OHDATTO (Large).jpg [ 114.1 KiB | Viewed 5532 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:47 pm 

Great picture man thanks for that , I still have all bits ive removed stored and when I got some spare $$ would love to fit the stockers with white walls. That ride height looked mad but was just so impractical and dangerous. The springs looked like chopped superlows
Would of been a great shot with both together , yours was soooo nice :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:01 pm 

No worries mate. It looked cool how it was but as you say it would of been a bouncy ride home. It looks great with the globes on it now. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:07 pm 

bit of an update on the white car

sourced and bolted up a twin su setup , got it running and drivable just need to play around with my new unisyn and then find a dyno or sniffer to check the fuel mix. I set it off the factory settings but have had to back the needles off about 25-30% . Feels like it allows it to breate down low and better response but not much difference in the upper revs. Managed to rip the front grille trim off the front passenger gaurd while fitting it all , so had to do a repair and glue the 2 pieces back together and ended up better than it was

Bought some nice new pressed trims from efi510 just waiting for them to arrive , these will replace the repo ones installed that has the pattern stitched in (will be selling the old ones for around 250) Now only need to find the centre dash blank plate to rid the inside of the stereo and have it all period correct inside.

Havent been real happy with the 4.6 locker so will swap out for a 3.9 setup i have spare and if it still proves a pain in the arse I will look into getting some sort of lsd for it. Anybody know what options/costs are involved (r180)?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:24 pm 

(EDITED) removed old car reference :)

Last edited by joebry on Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:57 pm 

heh bug got the better of me and had to tinker , white car is now 95% done with a custom ITB setup that ive collected over time .

so far in a few weeks

bought most of the small things you never think about doing custom as u go's and it cost a packet :(
swapped fuel system over to high pressure using mixture of old and new
added required wiring for all new bits ,wired in the LT10s ,mounted dash unit , oil press gauge ,completed bay loom and sensor wiring ( made it in 2 sections and removable)
removed the head and sent the whole inlet of to get some work done to assist the ITB's in doing there thing, also gave the guy a box full of new bits to go onto the head :P
gave the engine and a birthday while its waiting to be put back together , fixed up a bunch of stuff and cleaned as good as could every thing in the bay , new gaskets everywhere and some clean paint
before
[ img ]
[ img ]
after
[ img ]
[ img ]
after tidying up as much as i could im left with this
[ img ]
[ img ]

loom for bay and inlet and dash unit
[ img ]
[ img ]

once the head is back its a matter of bolt on and try fire the sucker, cant wait!

cheers Joel

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:45 pm 

Nice on Joel, Looks like new!

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:50 pm 

thanks Trent , Im happy with results but its about as good as itll get without doing a long build up like yours.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:02 pm 

bad510 wrote:
Nice cars mate. One of the previous owner's of the lotus white one used to work around the corner from me, Its a great little car. It was almost a twin to a white one I used to own, I always wanted to get the two cars together for a couple of pics but it never happened.
Heres a pic when it had white walls :thumbsup:
[ img ]

http://i380.photobucket.com/albums/oo24 ... 8055-1.jpg
http://i380.photobucket.com/albums/oo24 ... 8054-1.jpg

I took this photo a number of years back when I spotted it on the side of the road. I beleive it is the same car before it got the OHDATO plates?

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:16 pm 

sweet pics man , I dunno bout the plate you mention as in those pics it has the same NSW plate I got it with as well as something on the car thats distinctive and is still there today :P . those photos must be a few years old now
Still pretty much same condition few more bits of wear and tear. (not be me LOL)

I gotta get some white walls asap for it , looks sweet

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 7:16 pm 

officially down to one 1600 now :( sold the old yellow beast off to a bloke down Berwick and is now destined for autocross , was sad to see it go plus an end to a dream but for first time I broke even and had a ball with it so partly positive.

In the mean time Im going to continue working on the white car , purchased a new thermo setup , spook spoiler and have started work cleaning up a spare front grille to try a different look.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 3:32 pm 

wow..i remember OHDATO. That thing was mint! I remember going for a cruise with it along the northern beaches when i had my blue one (HKS.510).

i like the bay of your white one. very neat and tidy. makes a big difference.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:57 pm 

had bit of time yesterday and mounted the thermo up to the rad and trail fitted , ton's of room and seem to push a fair amount through and will do the job well , hopefully :)
[ img ]
[ img ]

also painted up my other front xmemeber with KBS stuff and ready to put in (has relocated pickups)
[ img ]

and lastly picked up some new 275lb springs with 30mm less free height and when fitted should lift the bottom collar up away from the 205 tires and allow me to lower the front abit more , will put in and get the front set right then ill look at the rear and maybe change to coilovers

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:09 pm 

:D package arrived today , quick mock up shots
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

im still undecided if I like the look of it