Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:27 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:48 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/ ... _ncop.aspx
/
i haven't had a chance to read it all. but i thought i deserves its own thread for reference/discussion.

i had a quick look it looks like you can still sr20 turbo a datsun 1600 but.

anyone spot anything different in it???

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:34 pm 

this may have a big affect on all sorts of cars. anyone on CH plates in victoria like alot of rally cars may be affected by this document. In section LK it gives outlines on seating and occupant protection and means that you cannot fit in race seats, harnesses or have a roll cage in your car unless it it only fitted in the rear area.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:57 am 

It also details that cars which are modified (I think such as limousine or normal closed car converted to cabriolet or increased engine capacity) require the following
1. Torsion test
2. Beam Test
3. Lane change Manoeuvre test
4. Exhaust Emission test
5. Exhaust noise test

I think most engineers who are cluey can by pass a few of these. Speak to your engineer.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:17 pm 

when does this law commence? does anybody know?

1974 B120

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:08 pm 
Guru

SR20Datsun wrote:
It also details that cars which are modified (I think such as limousine or normal closed car converted to cabriolet or increased engine capacity) require the following
1. Torsion test
2. Beam Test
3. Lane change Manoeuvre test
4. Exhaust Emission test
5. Exhaust noise test

I think most engineers who are cluey can by pass a few of these. Speak to your engineer.
This is what we have had to do for the last 10 years or so in SA.
Its the best way to go really.
Under these laws in SA we can fit ANY engine up to 600HP in a std 1600 shell, more if it is stiffened.
We just have to comply with the above regs.
And that is the reason that we produce strong legal parts for 1600s, etc in SA.

You can get VQ35DEs with superchargers passed under these rules. :woohoo:

"R.I.P. Baz. 29 April 2022. Thank you for all your contributions to the Datsun community over the years. You will be missed." - OZDAT

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:46 pm 

Whats involved with the torsion and beam test?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:50 pm 

I get the impression that if doing an sr20 conversion on a 1600, it will pass the new laws as long as the required upgrades to areas such as suspension, brakes, passenger safety, etc etc are carried out?

Im only asking due to the fact that im about a month away from actually purchasing some significant conversion parts to do so (200b front end, intercooler/rad, r31 struts, big 4 pots/296 rotor).. So really this is only going to encourage people to mod their cars properly and comprehensively?

So installing good brakes, good suspension, proper safety such as collapsible steering column & retractable seat belts, perhaps even welding in appropriate strengthening sections on the front & rear 1/4's and under parcel tray between strut towers... this should be enough?

These are all mods i had intended to perform anyway, hopefully they are satisfied with that!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:06 pm 

Best advice I can give you is to speak to one of your local engineers and see what they say. Give them an approximate time line and double it. That should be enough.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:34 pm 
Old Digger

SR20Datsun wrote:
Best advice I can give you is to speak to one of your local engineers and see what they say. Give them an approximate time line and double it. That should be enough.
I agree. Every engineer reads the rules in his/her own way. At the end of the day it is the engineers ass if something goes pear shapped. Like before and even more so now you need to consult a VASS engineer before you even think about an engine conversion or major mod.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:00 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

can anyone decode this sentence from the 'Suspension, Steering, Wheels section' for me? i have just been perusing the article but cant understand what this means. mostly the bit i have big'nd and bolded.

the limits of wheel/tyre sizes might be different with modified suspension components compared to the limits of wheel/tyre sizes with standard suspension components? but there is only defined sizes etc for standard suspensioned (etc) cars.

4.3 REPLACEMENT TYRES AND RIMS ON VEHICLES WITH MODIFIED AXLES,
SUSPENSION AND/OR STEERING
Replacement tyres and rims on a vehicle that has been previously modified in accordance with
Code LS3, LS5, LS7 or Section LG Brakes, Code LG1, must comply with the requirements of
the original approval document in relation to overall diameter, tyre width and rim offset
. No
reduction in load rating or speed rating is allowable.

a few pages before in the document, is this paragraph which then lists very defined limits (unlike the modified suspension one above)

4.2 NON-STANDARD TYRES AND RIMS
When wheels that do not comply with the vehicle manufacturer’s specifications are fitted to a
vehicle with standard axles and suspension, the following requirements must be met:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:51 pm 

4. Exhaust Emission test

whats that involve hopefully not expensive?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:15 pm 

I am looking into he idea of installing a 13b rotary into the 1600 and, I am FURIOUSLY looking into the emissions laws. Current laws for QLD are as below image as far as i can see.

What I am looking for is the original text per each car -- 1971 Datsun 1600 and the 1971 Mazda RX4 (donor engine).

I have as the Vehicle Mods branch on some clarification on this fact but, i am almost certain that it is up to date as per "LO Second Edition" (Below check list)
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
emissions_checklist.jpg [ 173.42 KiB | Viewed 5189 times ]
Full checklist can be located here

If I hear anything at all from the guys in TMR, I'll post it up on here.

Awfully hard to get something solid to go off.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 11:39 pm 

As others have said earlier in this thread it would be best to talk to the Engineer who you think will do the engineering for you. You can spend a lot of time reading regulations and doing what you believe will make it compliant and because you have read the same regs as the Engineer it probably would pass BUT if there is something they are not happy with then it probably wont happen. Even though we now have a National standard on the subject, the personality of the Engineer still plays a big part. I had my 71 1600 engineered here in NSW last year and my engineer changed his mind part way through the project from that the emissions could be that of a 1971 vehicle to that it had to comply with the emissions for the engine build date, which was 2002. This was achieved with a euro cat5 exhaust. It does seem sometimes that the engineer doesn't do much for the money he/she charges because it is mostly other people doing the checks and supplying you with bits of paper that you then present to the Engineer. In my case I had to take the car for an emissions test where they stick a probe up the exhaust and a separate noise test. The emissions test was about $200 and the noise test about $80, after that, two separate bits of paper were produced which I gave to the Engineer who scanned them. This became just part of a dossier that he sent electronically to the Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) The main thing that came out of all this for me is that you can still modify a car and get it legally road registered.