Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:18 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: megasquirt?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:55 pm 

does anyone use megasquirt, or know where to buy it from? i would like to give it a go
dannoss

Post subject: Re: megasquirt?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:57 pm 
Old Digger

Go here for all the info http://www.msefi.com/index.php

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:52 am 

http://www.diyautotune.com/

The best place to buy.

Depending on what your after, aim for around the $650 mark.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:34 pm 

Sanouske wrote:
http://www.diyautotune.com/

The best place to buy.

Depending on what your after, aim for around the $650 mark.

spend $350 more and just get a haltech sprint 500. and have it tuned be professionals easily.

DIY is fun, but don't do it to yourself.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:22 am 

Ah yes, but. Wheres the fun in it. Wheres the learning experience...

Valid point though. Haltech and others well named units that sell circa of ~$1000 have all been proven and tested throughout the years. With a lot of support and local know how. Tuners etc.

Megasquirt is big over in the states and europe though. The more users there are here, the bigger the support will be. They do also offer a plug and play system, along with a prebuilt diy kit for a little more dollars. But the software and the overall performance of the ecu is outstanding. There MS3 kit with add on board makes for a multitude of extra functions that are seen on some of the high end ecus. Sequential injection, lunch control, nos, boost functionality, higher resolution within maps for much finer tuning, etc.... and for a lot less in price if diy'ing.

I plan on eventually getting a MS3 kit with the add on board, EBC that they offer and the stimulator for pre testing the ecu before install to assure there are no issues/errors. And that's all for only around $650 delivered. Im handy with a soldering iron and a wiring diagram though. So each to there own.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:27 am 

Another alternative is to get any nissan ecu and put nistune in. Wire it up. And away you go with a fully tunable ecu.

In another forum we've held group buys that offer the nistune board and software license for around $350 mark. Again a very good item with plenty of support. And all initially from the backyard of one Adelaide home.

Food for thought. If its a 4 cylinder, get a SR20 or CA ecu and off you go.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:28 pm 

I have used megasquirt for a few years now. Highly recommend.
Of course DIY means that the tune is only as good as the tuner... strongly recommend getting a good wideband o2 sensor as it make s a world of difference to tuning.
MS takes time to install and can be upgraded in millions of ways if you have a soldering iron and patience but do not enter into the MS realm unless you're prepared to spend hours researching and reading how it works and how to modify it for your application
. Even if you get a pre-built unit you will most likely have to do some soldering on the ignition circuit to determine the best signal method for you.

However, the aussie dollar has never been better against the greenbush...

-pete

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:46 am 

thanks for the replies peeps, all gold stars. where can i buy nistune?
just as a side tune .. im a sucker for diy and wanted to be an auto elec but never got into it, but im a gun with a soldering iron like to research and find out how sh*t works!!!
dannoss

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:37 pm 
Old Digger

What engine and car? Nitune enables you to turn some stock Nissan ECU's into a full tuneable and map traceable ECU. Nistune is not avalible for all ECU's though. Post engine type etc and we can help you. There are different install instructions for different ECU's with Nistune. You will need a good desoldering gun to do the mods corectly. The stock EPROM needs to be removed. If you don't have a desoldering gun then it is more than likley you'll damage the PCB and ruin the ECU. I can help you out as I have the correct tools for the job. LEt me know. Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:57 pm 

oh yeah, s1 bb l20, cut up l24 (i think) manifold, vn throtle body, camira loom and gear (i know its gross but it was cheap and fits!) 5 speed, 10 bolt diff and stock everything else.
this is all together and running in my test car, next step will either be turbo or ka 24 head, just want to be able to tune easy and cheap. i do have an eprom burner for the camira/pulsar computer, but its a slow process.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:14 pm 

Based on what u r building - it is probably more in the megasquirt world than the Nistune.

Megasquirt has a lot more flexability, also it seems like you are doing fuel only - again I think Nistune would struggle in this config.

As stated before DIYauto is a good source. But there is lots of reading out there. You do need to start to modify the c/b if you go for ignition as well. MS (I have only used MS/2) do not support native spark for more than one output, to do more than one you need to install transistors, rewire the ECU and select the input pulse type circuitary. The code also needs to move from MS/2 to MSextra (UK based derivative).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:25 pm 

sorry i should be more clear, i want to get rid of the camira computer and put in the meaga squirt, i don't mind what needs to go/change
to make room for it

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:22 pm 

dannoss wrote:
sorry I should be more clear, I want to get rid of the camira computer and put in the meaga squirt, I don't mind what needs to go/change
to make room for it
Dont stuff around with megasquirt, Your camira delco computer isnt as sh*t as you may think!

Just some info from the kalmaker website.

Are you looking for an aftermarket Fully Programmable Engine Management System to run your std or modified EFI engine either Natural aspirated or Turbo / Supercharged ?

Have you got a Commodore(Not just for commodore, Keep reading :D ), modified the engine, and now you're wondering how're you going to get it to run right , and be able to extract the power its capable of ?

Well you've found the answer, GM have one of the best Engine Management Systems in the world already fitted, the AC Delco.

Combine the Delco with Kalmaker Software, the only software in the world that has managed to combine:-
Real Time Programming (changes on the fly via laptop)
Real Time Hi Speed Diagnostics (full data log features)
No Emulator or chip burning required
Written in Plain English ( no hex )
and you now have the most flexible, most drivable, most
powerful package available.

What's more, the Delco computer can be fitted to just about any engine, including Hi-Po Japanese and German makes, and even Evo Harley Davidson.

http://www.kalmaker.com.au/page22.html

Hope this helps you out :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:51 pm 
Old Digger

Agreed the Delco unit is a quality ECU. Read the above and get into it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:41 pm 

Hope he hasnt already gone with the MS :impatient: :lol: