Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:44 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:46 pm 

Hi fellas!

So like many of you on here the Datsun bug has hit me again, but this time really really hard! So much that thus far I'm minus one really fast Mazda 3 MPS, an N14 SSS and a really rusty 180B SSS I've picked up for parts, Oh and not to forget a very pissed off girlfriend lol

I figured it is easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask permission, and guess what? It actually worked! :)

Ok so many of you must be wondering, what ever happened to the original SIX-TEN??? Well to cut a long story short I was not able to move on my MPS and come up with the funds on time, the then owner was in a real hurry to move it on and there was nothing else for me than to cut my losses and start hunting....

I was left with a very bruised and battered set of emotions, I was angry, upset, sad, you name it, but I decided not to let it be the end not just yet. The hunt for a replacement started pretty much the same night it was evident the original SIX-TEN was not going to be in my possession, and I remembered an old message on FB from none other than Joel aka Burubado who so happens to be one of the most hard core 180B/610 enthusiasts I have ever met in my life. The message read along the lines of an old fella who replied to one of his wanted ads from way back.

He described the car as being an original 1972 180B SSS model, with a good engine, both twin SU carbs tuned to perfection by its previous owner, a gentleman who so happened to be a Datsun mechanic back in the days, he also mentions that there is very little rust, has the Japanese round gauge cluster and much more. I was pissed that I initially had ignored the message previous months before, this time tho I was all over it looking for the number...

To cut a long story short I ended up going up to Bendigo all the way from Berwick one Saturday arvo, with my beautiful GF who put up with the crappy ride of the Pulsar, we arrived at the guys house and first thing I noticed was how much bigger the shed was compared to the house, we walk up to the shed or shall we call it barn, he opens the door and there it is, in its unmistakable Datsun glory, my jaw dropped and we started discussing the condition of the car, he mentions that the battery had been charging over night and for me to crank her over, I pull the choke and turn the ign key... Hey what do you know??? It started first bloody GO!

With a smile on my face and after having a chat about Datsuns, he takes both me and my gf for a tour of his barn, what we saw next is best described as being DATSUN HEAVEN!!!!

I start to see 1600s, 200Bs, Stanzas, Sunnys, 240Zs, an original 260C in mint condition, another 1600 which has only done 50,000kms still on the original tyres! An original works rally Stanza, an R32 GTR track car, another 1600 which is also a track car, a 1600 Rally car and the best of all a New GTR which he let me have a sit in! Oh and also forgot to mention that his shed has two hoists, a man cave full of Datsun memorabilia like an old poster of the works Stanza signed by none other than Gearge Fury! And not to forget the rooms with shelves full of Datsun parts!

As you can see the guy is a real Datsun God, he has been building, racing and collecting Datsuns for over 30yrs, I will be heading up this weekend to drop off a deposit!

As for the condition and plans for the car, well lets start of by saying that atm I have to move on the parts car which I basically bought off an old fella in Blanarring, it has a lot of the parts needed to make a real clean car and the rest I thought I'd might as well help the community of SSS owners and hook them up with a deal on parts they need, the car was bound for the tip, and would have been a real shame not to salvage some parts, the car is not perfect either and I can see why it will have to be thrown away, so for the time being we shall refer to it as the bad car.

The good car is still in need of some TLC, the bad is nothing more than cosmetics, nothing too major things like a inside out paint job, a freshen up of the motor is surely needed, it has some rust on the drivers side sill where is meets the rear wheel arch and the interior needs a tidy up.

The good about it is, the lack of rust, it has all of the chrome trims and molds, the underside of the car is very dry and there is not a single spot of damage and rust to be seen under there, overall it is a totally good base to base a nice project on, Oh and forgot to mention that it actually drives!

Plans for this build this time round, will be nothing hectic like the last one, no engine conversions this time round and no taking it out to the track, I will be keeping its original heart where it should be but of course with some go fast bits like twin carbs, extractors, a mild cam, some dished rims and suspension mods to achieve a nice stance. I have already been buying parts online, locally and form overseas, things like indicator lenses, a new aerial, gearknob with a Datsun logo, and even a cigarette lighter with the SSS logo on it!

This will once again be total fun, a great experience and an adventure, I wont put a finish date on this one, I had done so on the last one and look what happened in the end, this time round it will be a keeper for many many years to come.

Look forwards to catching up with old friends I have made over the years on here and most of all look forwards to cruising!

Cheers!

Alex

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

Some of the rust, but rest of the car is clean!
[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:28 pm 

The car looks great but that shed and it's contents sounds fantastic ! Congrats on the car and i look forward to cruising with you one day in the future.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:35 pm 
Old Digger

Good work man. I knew you'd get back into it before to long :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:33 am 

Hahaha lol Brad, me too!

Ps; got a new dilema, found another 180B SSS closer to home, going to go look at it today, will be making a decision any day now and put down a deposit on either one....

Stay Tuned, and with plenty of boost lol.....

me is such a lame ass :P

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:53 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Good luck with whichever car you choose mate :lol: Look forward to the progress :D

http://datsun1200.com/modules/newbb/vie ... post494892

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:01 am 

woo hoo, welcome back dude :thumbsup: I hope a manual conversion is on the cards if you snap up that first one!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:23 am 

Yeah was thinking about that right away, I've already got a 5spd sitting in the garage and also a set of Genie extractors that need a bit of a clean, also just found a mk1 front lip spoiler on eBay, unless Brad still has one left over???

Got my eyes on these too...
http://www.racinglab.com/rota-shakotan-009.html

15x8 +/- 0 offset in a 4x114.3 pcd of course lol, they're just like my old XXR 002s that were on the white car.

They will do for now until I can affor some CCW Classics :p

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:45 am 

Welcome back Alex!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:06 pm 

trb012 wrote:
Good luck with whichever car you choose mate :lol: Look forward to the progress :D
Hahaha LOL

Well I went last night to go look at that second car, and all I can say is I'm now the proud owner of a 1974 180B SSS, in metallic blue with 52,000kms on the clock, the guy bought it off an old lady who said it was her late husband's car from new, has a whole bunch of history behind it including all original papers, also it still has the original hub caps and the interior is totally mint condition, plus the guy also threw in a set of custom number plates his wife had bought him way back in 1988 which read DAT.SSS!

I have so far stripped out the parts car, and got picked up from my house as a rolling shell with the engine and running gear still in it for a good price, so now I've got the space in my garage for my new baby :) problem now is that I have a sh*t load of parts left over taking up room in the garage and the guy who I've purchased the SSS is away for the weekend, so that means I wont get the car home until Monday night... :(

Plans now are to get it home and start a general clean up and get it ready for the Japanese show at Yarra Bend park on the 20th, Oh yeah I forgot it also comes with rego which expires in June next year! So it wont be anything flash for the show but I will most likely be making an appearance.

I will take some shots as soon as I get my hands on it and post them up, but for now thought I'd share with you guys what I have in mind as what I want the finished product to look like...

[ img ]
ps: anyone know what color that is? ^^^

Cheers!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:14 pm 

Good to see you back into it Alex. I'm also considering swapping my watts for the fake rota's as well, just waiting for the australian supplier to get the 15x8's for the front (just saying now so I don't get blamed for copying :) ). I reckon the 15x9 will fit on the back of the 610's without any issues.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:24 pm 

ForumJockey wrote:
Good to see you back into it Alex. I'm also considering swapping my watts for the fake rota's as well, just waiting for the australian supplier to get the 15x8's for the front (just saying now so I don't get blamed for copying :) ). I reckon the 15x9 will fit on the back of the 610's without any issues.
Hahaha all good man

I actually found a mob in either WA or SA who have them in stock, I've also been thinking the same, maybe I'll ask them is they can do me a staggered set i.e 15x8s front and 15x9s rear, imo the car would look rear tough and with wide rubber on the rear it would give that retro street racer look too.

If you get a set before me, plz make sure to post up some photos, I'd like to see what they look like on a 180B SSS.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:33 am 

Welcome back Vato! :lol:
Good to see you back on the horse mate!!
post pick of the beast... if its original, man you gotta go white wall, venetian etc..

Engine Management Sytem: Screwdriver!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:09 pm 

Congrats on the purchase alex! Please please please just mod it a little bit at a time while keeping it on the road, no big tear-downs this time! I just realised we still haven't driven our cars together after all these years. Can't wait to see some pics of the new beast :cheers

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:54 pm 

EEEEEEEEExcellent, Alex.

If you need any help or advice on restoring the paint for the show, let me know.

Cheers,

J.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:36 pm 
Old Digger

Cool man. I'll have to come over for a look see one day.