Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:04 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:54 pm 

sounds like you want something like this for the rear...

[ img ]

Apparently they're from RS Start in Japan but I'm sure you could knock something up with local bits. The coilovers I had in my Golf used the same setup for the back.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:29 pm 

You're on the ball Anth.

Thats what I'm thinking on doing for the rear, this way I can have the adjustability with minimal cost, and messing around with bracing up the rear end. I also plan on doing things in such a way that they can always be reversed, just for that one random show where I'd like the car to look as original as can be. i.e. sotckies with hub caps back on and original ride height.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:22 am 

A little birdy has told me that you were thinking about an SR option to the SSS...

SSS should be L series for life mate...

anyway.. my 2 pesos worth..
Talk soon and put more pics up!...

ps: i'll have near new rear drum brakes free to a good home soon.. if you need them give me a hoi..

Engine Management Sytem: Screwdriver!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:07 pm 

D4TSUN wrote:
A little birdy has told me that you were thinking about an SR option to the SSS...

SSS should be L series for life mate...

anyway.. my 2 pesos worth..
Talk soon and put more pics up!...

ps: I'll have near new rear drum brakes free to a good home soon.. if you need them give me a hoi..
Well Pedro that little birdy is totally wrong because I don't intend on doing wuch thing to it, I will be keeping it L series for a hell of a long time, I might also have to tage a page or two out of your book with regards to engine mods.

Pics???

Yeah ok but only a couple teaser shots for now, will do a full update after work...
[ img ]
[ img ]

Rear drums sound good Peds, I will eventually go for the typical R31 brake convo tho..

Stay tuned :!:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:23 pm 

Man they fit perfectly on the back. What size tyre are you running Alex?

Also how close do they go to the control arm?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:27 pm 

It does look phat from the back.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:30 pm 

ForumJockey wrote:
Man they fit perfectly on the back. What size tyre are you running Alex?

Also how close do they go to the control arm?
Yeah the inside of the wheel in just mills away from the control arm, if I was to put the -10 offset rims that would solve the problem, the pair I have on the side of the car are the 0 offset rims. tyres are 195/60-15s

does in deed look phat, I thought the chunky tyres were going to let it down but they actually suit the oldschool look quite well, now just have to sort out some proper shocks and springs since atm the car is resting at that height on a big block of wood.

Can't wait to dump the front, tho I have to come up with a pair of coilovers for that to happen.

*edit; Found a pair of Hakosuka rear coilovers from the mother land, they look identical to what Anth posted, just not 100% if they will work??? The Hakos IRS seems identical to that of the 510/610s so who knows. Spring rate options are 14, 16 & 18kg springs....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:09 pm 

That looks phat!!..

Yeah let me know when you're ready for a tough L series.. I just clocked over 1000k's and already thinking about a stroker! however I got to get a full tune and we'll see how many ponies we end up capturing..

You better update the avatar photo with a nice SSS on the floor!!

I'll look out for a full update mate..

cheers,

Pedro

Engine Management Sytem: Screwdriver!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:21 pm 

D4TSUN wrote:
That looks phat!!..

You better update the avatar photo with a nice SSS on the floor!!

I'll look out for a full update mate..

cheers,

Pedro
+1

+1

+1

:D looking good Alex..!

[ img ]
Thy Beast 1600
Datfusion

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:11 pm 

I am excite :D Loved your last car :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:10 pm 

millsy wrote:
I am excite :D Loved your last car :thumbsup:
Hehehe thanks dude, I'm excited too! :D

Ok so here is the update...

Yesterday after such a long as day in the office I finished off early to head down to the post office to collect all of this!
[ img ]

New seat belts straight from Klippan
[ img ]

Rear Drop links
[ img ]
Btw I have to make a shout out to Joel aka Burubado, thanks for the seat belt info dude!

Jap SSS dash cluster
[ img ]

New Aerial
[ img ]

And a cool looking money box which says car fund lol
[ img ]

So I guess you could say that Christmas came early for me! So after having so much fun unpacking all this stuff, I headed out to the garage to have a bit of a play around with the new bits, I decided that the best thing to start of was with the new seat belts, in the photo below you will see the new setup, still need to fit the plastic cover for the reel and also get some black clovers for the bottom anchor point bracket.
[ img ]

Also need to swap out the interior trim for the sexy dark brown items that came out of the parts car, which will be real contrasting with the turquoise blue paint job and also neaten things up since the old ones have cut outs for the old seat belts which are now redundant.

Out onto the exterior, I had a bit of a play around with Anths idea and took out the original rear spring, which I may add measures 330mm free length, thought that might come in handy for someone. So where were we??? Oh yes payed with the height using the jack and settled on what I posted earlier today. Was so glad to see how nice the fitment is and how much clearance the 180B has in the rear, I could only try the zero offset rims since the -10 offset ones can't go on since the original wheel nuts wont let the wheel brace reach them, thus can't fully tighten the rims. Problem solved tho since I have some new Rays Dura nuts coming in the mail.

Here are some more shots of the rear fitment...
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

The 195/60 tyres are a perfect fit, I'm still not sure whether I should or should not roll the rear lips or leave them as is??? Tonight I have so far picked up some Pedders rear springs that Will who is on here had up for sale. I can report that the car sits right about where I want it, which is similar to the photos, tho noticed that I may need to cut the bump stops and also some short stroke shockers will definitely be on the cards as the original units are total poo and let the car go down and up like a yoyo!

So that is where I'm at now boys, next step is to sort out something for the front end including new steering components since after a quick inspection revealed that all the linkages, bushes and ball joints have totally had it! Hope fully the guy I purchased the car sends to me the rego papers so I can go get my self a RWC and transfer it through so I can drive it.

Anyways I'm off to bed now, please stay tuned for more :)

Alex

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:41 am 

stretch and clearance looks spot on but i would still be rolling the lips! you can never be too careful.

'72 1600 ground up rebuild - Sold/parted
'89 VN Calais 5L - Sold
'83 VH SLE ground up rebuild - Sold (further built and featured in Street Commodores)
'01 Subaru Liberty B4, 160kW at all four - Sold

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:22 am 

First thing I would do is jack the car up and go through full bump and rebound and make sure everything clears. Don't forget you will also probably want to change toe on the rear which may effect the guards slightly at full bump. If everything clears, then I wouldn't bother rolling the lip...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:44 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Looking good mate :thumbsup: Can't wait to see it on a cruise :D are you still planning on going webbers or could injection with 4 throttle bodys be on the cards? :D

http://datsun1200.com/modules/newbb/vie ... post494892

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:50 am 

Don't forget the -10s will be 10mm further out, I'd roll them just to be safe, get it out of the way so you don't have to worry about it later.