Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:25 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:35 am 

Hey guys, so im new to this forum, but i thought id better post my current project :) The old girl is a 1985 Diesel Datsun 720 single cab that i picked up for $130. :thumbsup: thought it was a good deal, so i couldnt resist, and im currently looking for a cheap VN commodore to be the Donor car, but the aim is for a Twin turbo Vn V6 commodore motor, with a Manual Transmission. As i am coming up to my exams, i wont be starting it until the 27th of november this year, and im aiming to have it finished by early february next year. 8) Looking for any advice if anyone has seen or heard of something similar?

The pictures can be found at http://photobucket.com/TheDoltsun

Cheers James :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:59 am 

Where are you from/ what are you studing? 27th of nov are late exams!! what are you going to use the car for? If you want to drive it on the road then you will most likely need and engineers certificate or do the dodgy and register it first then do the conversion without telling anyone...... but can get **** on fairly bad for that. So best bet would be show an engineer your plans first see what he thinks/get an idea of what you will need to do.

Advice, realy deep pockets and work your arse off.

180b Wagon daily
http://ozdat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f= ... 9&start=30

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:47 pm 

I'm still only in college, and I'm from Tasmania (Hobart), Next year i will be starting an engineering course at uni, but that doesnt help me much with this, its going to be fully done legally, conversions arent that hard to get engineered down here, but yeah its going to be fully planned after my last exam, Lots of work yes, Deep pockets not so much, my dad is a fitter and turner, so the idea to start with is to make everything we can't find. The car is going to be roadworthy, show and a bit of fun as well, to start with fun and around town every now and then.

Cheers James

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:16 am 

for that cheap how can you argue :D

probably best getting the 6 in and running good first :) 3.8L of engine will be very nice in a 720, even if it is a rusty old pre ecotec boat anchor :P

see how it handles that first, id reckon your diff will need a swap, something nice and with cheap LSD, some nicer brakes would be handy too. i dunno much about that, if you find any bolt on upgrades let me know!

swapping in the 6 will be fair cheap but if you want to boost it it will get expensive pretty quick. you'll need forged internals and a decent build if you want the engine to work - already theres a few grand, more if you want it done properly. you might get away cheap for the turbos, but even some old T25's will cost you at least 700 or so for the pair, 1k+ for fresh rebuilt jobs. then there's management, im not sure if theres enough scope for tuning with the delco. if you could get away with that itd probably be the cheapest way out, otherwise you're looking at 1k+ to get management and tune it. FMIC's are cheap which is nice, piping shouldnt be tricky, would be a good idea to look into how much stock commo gearboxes can handle, if later model boxes fit im sure you could find something strong enough for cheap though. clutch is another consideration when you boost it

best to be very careful when undertaking decent builds, make sure you know how much cash you'll need to get it done before you start. no use kidding yourself, it'll catch up with you later :(

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:24 am 

Yeah i think i will do the 6 in and running first, then maybe later on after i finish my engineering degree, ill turbo it, i mean a 3.8l is going to be enough power for P plates i think ;) plus that will give me some time to think it over, plan it and learn more about everything. as for the diff, i have been bet 2 cartons of beer that the diff will handle the power fine, at worst i may have to weld it, so im not too worried about that, i mean if it comes to it, i can drown my sorrows pretty quickly with 2 cartons :cheers Still thanks for the advice, im currently about to start reading the gregorys manual for the VN commodore, should give me some more insight into what i need to do, either way it will fly once done :rofl:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:34 am 

sure will :)

theres a bit of info on olddatsuns about a buick V6 conversion into a 620. pretty sure our v6's are close enough to americans ones, even though the one pictured is carburetted. should at least be vaguely useful info:
http://www.davidcmurphy.com/olddat/html/tech/v6-620.htm

late 620 frames are about the same as 720's too

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:07 am 

Thanks, was a good read, and picked up a few things i need to make sure i check when we start, never realised how tight the gaps are in between the torsion bars :O haha I'm sure it will be okay though, when she is done and up and running fully, ill have to bring her over for a meet ;)

Cheers James

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:58 pm 

Why have you chosen the commy v6??

Have you considered a Vg30 insted?? They have a little less displacement however they are a Nissan engine so keeping it in the family and you can probably find other people who have done the conversion. The VG30 is overhead cam and DOHC avalible aswell. Im guessing here but lighter maybe?? Also there is a turbo VG30 from the factory so a turbo conversion should be cheaper and easier. and way cooler...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_VG_engine

http://ozdat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f= ... hilit=vg30

180b Wagon daily

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:25 pm 

Long story short, i can pick up a complete Vn commodore, for about $300, thus giving me all the parts i need, plus my dad has a hilux with a v6 commodore engine in it, so we are kind of using that as a model. and finally, believe me or not its on the fuel consumption to power, a worked commodore can get more power, to less fuel from our trials so far. This is only taking into account my dads rb30 skyline vs his v6 commy hilux. less fuel, better launch, and much more fun :thumbsup: but i am still in the considering stage, so ill have a look around and see what i can find ;) Plus a VG30 would be cooler, but pricey? :?:

Cheers James

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:56 pm 

VG will be a fair bit more cash next to a standard commo v6 conversion

however it will work out cheaper once you start talking turbos... getting a factory turbo engine negates the need to build it as you would need to do to the commodore v6. everything you need is already there and suitable for the job - management, transmission, manifolds, you'll have a good start on the intercooler setup, turbo fitment is all there (coolant feed/oil drain all plumbed and ready to go), and included if you get a complete engine, etc

as wisey said you can go for a VG30ET, DET, or DETT. DET's are quite wide though, the DETT's especially so be very careful with that one and sort out exactly how much space you have before you buy anything. the steering box and column i think will be a problem but ive never tried it myself. the VG30ET's are easier to fit into things, there's a few nice VG 620's in the US if you wanted to search around forums for some inspiration

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:11 pm 

Okay sweet, i will have a look into it over the weekend, see what i can find, it is sounding pretty good though as id love to keep it in the family haha ;) ill get back to you over the weekend about my findings and decisions.

Cheers James

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:11 pm 

I'm in favour of the VG30 too.

You will find that there isn't much you can do to a Commo V6 in regards to power. There's a few mods, but once you're passed basic induction and exhaust you're up for big time engine building.

If you get your hands on a turbocharged VG30 for a fair price, it's basically turn-key reliability & stock power with an unopened engine that'll compete with a modded up Buick V6.

Not a bad way to go though if you still want to go with the Buick V6, I like them because of their reliability factor, however they are very rugged and sound terrible. But bare in mind that if you want to be getting decent amount of power out of it you are up for a lot of work.

Best of luck! Keep us updated.

douglasamills wrote:
1600s arent the only datsun

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:31 pm 

The Hilux probably has heaps shorter gear ratios then the skyrine which isn't anything to do with the engine but explains a good launch and the fun aspect. On top of that the 3.8 prob makes peak power heaps further down then the rb30 so if you put your foot down in the low rev range it will pull harder then the skyline. And if the skyline is auto then that will make it feel heaps gayer.

anyhow, im not going to tell you how to build your own car. I just thought that you may not of heard of the VG 30 and not considered it.

beides a stock buick v6 will probably go harder then a stock SOHC vg30, it does have an extra .8 litres of displacement after all. and you will probably save your self a little bit on initial purchase. I would think you could find a reasonable SOHC vg30 for 500 or so...

Here is one for $850 but it is from a importer you would get a private sale one cheaper
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nissan-VG30- ... 3367e9ddee

But to find one in tassie might be hard

downside to a VG30 is no where near as common as a buick

but long term if your thinking of going Hi Po with turbos and what not it will probably be cheaper going VG 30 then the Buick. and you will probably be looking at 5 grand and up so the few hundred you save on initial purchase seems a bit insignificant.

180b Wagon daily

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:44 pm 

Thanks guys, i am open to feedback, and i have far from said no to the VG30 yet, just considering it still, the main reason i am going for the commodore is because of prices, being my first major project, if i get a vg30 and screw it up, theres a lot of money down the drain, but if i screw the commodore up before the turbo, its a cheap replacement, also for the hilux vs skyline, the hilux has the auto box out of a commodore, and full commodore running gear, its basically just a hilux cab, plus tray sitting on a commodore ;) As said above i will research into the VG30, and i will consider it strongly, the turbo is hopefully a final product, and wont be for a year or two into my engineering degree, maybe not until i finish my degree. Progress will kick off around the 27th of november hopefully, depends on if i find a commodore by then or not, either way i will start work on the ute :)

Thanks very much for the feedback guys :cheers

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:34 pm 

Dont listen to the v6 commo haters mate, Over on another forum a guy with a vp commo v6 is making 178.7kw @ wheels on 8psi with a ebay t70 and 38mm wastegate. Motor is standard, Homemade manifolds and a custom memcal. Can post some links if your keen to take alook?