Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 10:53 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:51 pm 

Hi,

My Z18ET injectors have seen better days so I pulled them out this weekend. I dug out some FJ20 injectors that came with an inlet manifold I bought a while back and the guy claimed they ran just fine in his Z18 910 bluebird with a stock ecu.

Anyway it is a bit hesitant to start and the revs keep climbing at idle and it pretty much dies out if you touch the throttle. So I suspect it is over fueling like crazy with the higher flowing injectors and potentially fouling up my nice new plugs.

Is there any tricks to reprogram the ECU to work with these injectors or should I just try and track down some new Z18 spec ones?

Any leads on where to get these would also be appreciated if there is no way to reprogram the ecu.

Cheers.
Rian

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:11 pm 

What ecu are you running on the Z18. If it's programmable (aftermarket), then you can just get it adjusted.

If it's a stock ecu, just get your z18 cleaned for $100.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:06 pm 

It is the stock ECU unfortunately so I doubt it can be changed at all.

Starting to think that your suggestion to clean the current ones is the best course of action.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:20 pm 
Guru

I resurrected a set of CA18DET injectors recently for ZERO cost.
I carefully pushed the valve in at the end of the pintel cap as all four were initially stuck closed.
Got them freed up OK then I put them into my handy little Ultrasonic cleaning tub for a series of 100 sec. treatments.
Didn't get any crud out of them so I connected a 9V dry cell across the terminals [CLICK] and blew through the fuel hose.
VIOLA!
Dark yellow crud was vomited forth :thumbsup:
Soaked them in paint thinners for a while and redid the battery and blow method.
So, just try a little mechanical coaxing, a little voltage, a little air pressure and some carb. cleaner :thumbsup:

What have you got to lose :cheers

graemes@internode.on.net

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:07 pm 
Old Digger

IMO take them to get clean (ultrasonic) and flow tested. Should cost about $100-$150. Them you know they are a good match and are clean.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:05 am 

How do you know that the FJ injectors are in good working condition?

They should work fine with the ecu and stock engine. Yeah a little more fuel heavy, but not to the point you're having big issues.

Test to make sure the injectors are at the appropriate ohms rating for the ecu to run them correctly. Do you still have the resister box wired in?

Either way, just be sure that your injectors (which ever you use) are in working condition.

When i had my z18et ones cleaned they said 2 was stuck, and the others at varying stages of being blocked.

Either do as nissanman suggested, or for less effort send them to petrojet or someone similar.